Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Skin Incompatible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi. new member here. made an account finally to ask a couple of questions. (still figuring out where to ask the next one)

so my first official question involves this skin. I've played with many of the skins and still haven't checked all of them. the one that drew me in and I still beats the rest (imo) is Rapier.

it is quirky though. I've had an update basically lose all settings and had to just go to 'get more' and install the skin again. not a big issue as everything came back up. the next quirk appeared when I launched Kodi and all Rapier settings (backgrounds included) were reset. no explanation. no clue why. that could get annoying as going through all the settings isn't a quick thing. granted I read something about exporting settings. haven't looked into it further but seems that could be handy.

ok so onto my question. when I launch Kodi now (for about the last week) I get a message that the skin is incompatible? doesn't make sense as I used it fine for soo long. I haven't updated Kodi. still using Helix 14.2. it's on a Fire TV Stick (so Android). I removed the skin (uninstalled) and then installed it again. I even used ES File Explorer to delete the Rapier folders. however I still get the incompatible message. can anyone direct me on how to fix this?

usually I can fix most things on my own as I am tech oriented and searching google usually leads to a forum thread somewhere with an answer. so far fixing the two questions I have now I haven't found much if anything on. I did find this - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...compatible - didn't explain much or provide anything I could use unless I missed it.

I appreciate any help. thanks in advance.
Hi thegh0st and welcome to the forums Smile

Thanks so much for all the kind words.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]it is quirky though. I've had an update basically lose all settings and had to just go to 'get more' and install the skin again. not a big issue as everything came back up. the next quirk appeared when I launched Kodi and all Rapier settings (backgrounds included) were reset. no explanation. no clue why. that could get annoying as going through all the settings isn't a quick thing. granted I read something about exporting settings. haven't looked into it further but seems that could be handy.

That sounds weird. The skin can't do that, so it must be something else.

Did you do an install of Rapier directly from the Kodi add-on repository within Kodi?

Do you my development repository?

When updating to a new version of Kodi, you should backup your userdata folder (but that's probably not the reason for losing settings).

You can install the add-on script.toolbox to get the import / export skin settings features. They will automatically appear in the skin settings after install.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]ok so onto my question. when I launch Kodi now (for about the last week) I get a message that the skin is incompatible? doesn't make sense as I used it fine for soo long. I haven't updated Kodi. still using Helix 14.2. it's on a Fire TV Stick (so Android). I removed the skin (uninstalled) and then installed it again. I even used ES File Explorer to delete the Rapier folders. however I still get the incompatible message. can anyone direct me on how to fix this?

usually I can fix most things on my own as I am tech oriented and searching google usually leads to a forum thread somewhere with an answer. so far fixing the two questions I have now I haven't found much if anything on. I did find this - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...compatible - didn't explain much or provide anything I could use unless I missed it.

Which version of Rapier do you use?

How did you install the skin?

Have you switched off automatic update of add-ons?

Have you installed any unsupported repositories (SuperRepo etc.)?

Cheers
Gade
I am having a similar issue, all my skins are marked incompatible. I am running the latest (as of today) kodibuntu.

I guess I will look into manually installing a skin on kodibuntu unless someone has a walk around for this issue.
(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Hi thegh0st and welcome to the forums Smile

Thanks so much for all the kind words.
you're welcome. it's a wonderful skin! must say I didn't expect a skinner to respond! Big Grin

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]it is quirky though. I've had an update basically lose all settings and had to just go to 'get more' and install the skin again. not a big issue as everything came back up. the next quirk appeared when I launched Kodi and all Rapier settings (backgrounds included) were reset. no explanation. no clue why. that could get annoying as going through all the settings isn't a quick thing. granted I read something about exporting settings. haven't looked into it further but seems that could be handy.

(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds weird. The skin can't do that, so it must be something else.
I would have thought it was just a one-off or just me but a friend I setup a Fire TV Stick for had the exact samething happen. he called saying he had lost his shortcuts. the skin had reverted back to the Confluence which of course I hadn't setup because I prefer Rapier. I immediately knew what had happened since it happened to me also. so I directed him to reinstall the skin. you know? go to 'get more' then choose Rapier. it was odd because it was more like enabling it (if I remember correctly. it was already installed). however it showed the percentage download as if it was installing again. once I was done helping my friend get the skin active again I checked the change log and saw an update had occurred. just info for you since that particular issue was minor and easily resolved.

as for the loss of the settings I haven't checked with my friend but I haven't received a support call.

(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Did you do an install of Rapier directly from the Kodi add-on repository within Kodi?
yes. I clicked skins in the settings and clicked 'get more' and installed Rapier from there. one of the reasons I uninstalled it was to see if it was still a supported skin. it was still in the list which is another reason I don't understand the message. plus I have never updated KODI. I've only ever used 14.2. (can't believe I never knew it existed for soo long)

(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Do you my development repository?
not entirely sure of you're meaning here. I'm going to go with no.

(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]When updating to a new version of Kodi, you should backup your userdata folder (but that's probably not the reason for losing settings).
I have created backups of KODI through other tools. not sure if I'm allowed to mention specifics or which tools. also browsing the backups is how I know where to browse with ES File Explorer to delete addons. was hoping that would get me a clean install if I did it correctly.

(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]You can install the add-on script.toolbox to get the import / export skin settings features. They will automatically appear in the skin settings after install.
thank you. I will look for that. it might already be installed. either way I will make sure and if it isn't I will install it.

update:
since I was checking Rapier version checked for toolbox also. this was not installed. oddly it's one of those addons that shows two options when I searched for it (couldn't find it enabled). both show as installed by just installing one. I am also seeing addons being updated (well saw two updated). I guess some addons update on their own and some don't? I wasn't aware it worked like that.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]ok so onto my question. when I launch Kodi now (for about the last week) I get a message that the skin is incompatible? doesn't make sense as I used it fine for soo long. I haven't updated Kodi. still using Helix 14.2. it's on a Fire TV Stick (so Android). I removed the skin (uninstalled) and then installed it again. I even used ES File Explorer to delete the Rapier folders. however I still get the incompatible message. can anyone direct me on how to fix this?

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]Which version of Rapier do you use?
version: 7.5.4 (clicked check for updates - shows downloading percentage again - at 100% screen went off and then on - checked version - still shows 7.5.4) change log shows July 22 as the last. also when the first quirk happened.

update:
trying update for Rapier after toolbox installed and still 7.5.4. restarted KODI, same warning message and same version still.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]How did you install the skin?
through KODI settings. clicked skin option. clicked 'get more' chose Rapier. never sideloaded Rapier.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]Have you switched off automatic update of add-ons?
not that I am aware of. I see addons update here and there during launch. so I would think Rapier should update also? almost seems as if it's trying to update but it's not taking with the downloading.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]Have you installed any unsupported repositories (SuperRepo etc.)?

Cheers
Gade
yes. probably. most likely. SuperRepo at least, yes to that. the others I am not up on what is and isn't supported but I haven't installed the skin from any repositories.

lastly, as checking for the Rapier version got the warning so I will type it completely -

box pops up -
title (in blue text):
SKIN COMPATIBILITY WARNING

then in the info box (in white text):
Your current skin is not fully compatible. For a better experience use a skin from the forum. http://tinyurl.com/knfus2x
(btw, I have not clicked that link or checked it)

then the option to click DON'T SHOW AGAIN or OK.

also, just my opinion but the sound during the splash screen when launching KODI is a bit loud. I believe that is from the skin as other skins I do not remember even making a sound during the splash screen. if I am remembering that incorrectly or understanding incorrectly my apologies.

thanks again! appreciate you taking the time to help.
Ok, that clears things up a lot.

Rapier 7.5.4 is the latest official version for Kodi Helix, so if that's the version you have installed, it's perfect Smile

The unsupported repos - and especially SuperRepo - messes things up extremely often. So this is most likely the case here as well. If you uninstall those, I'm sure it will solve your problems.

Rapier depends of 8 add-ons. If they are not installed or the correct minimum version, you will get the compatibility warning.

Check for these add-ons and minimum versions:

script.artistslideshow 1.7.0
script.favourites 4.0.9
service.skin.widgets 0.0.29
script.randomandlastitems 2.2.2
script.artwork.downloader 12.0.28
script.tv.show.next.aired 6.0.10
script.globalsearch 2.0.8
script.grab.fanart 0.13.2

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]
That sounds weird. The skin can't do that, so it must be something else.

I would have thought it was just a one-off or just me but a friend I setup a Fire TV Stick for had the exact samething happen. he called saying he had lost his shortcuts. the skin had reverted back to the Confluence which of course I hadn't setup because I prefer Rapier. I immediately knew what had happened since it happened to me also. so I directed him to reinstall the skin. you know? go to 'get more' then choose Rapier. it was odd because it was more like enabling it (if I remember correctly. it was already installed). however it showed the percentage download as if it was installing again. once I was done helping my friend get the skin active again I checked the change log and saw an update had occurred. just info for you since that particular issue was minor and easily resolved.

But your friend didn't use Rapier when this happened?

Does he use unsupported repos as well? If he does, that's likely the reason for things messing up.

(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Have you switched off automatic update of add-ons?
not that I am aware of. I see addons update here and there during launch. so I would think Rapier should update also? almost seems as if it's trying to update but it's not taking with the downloading.

You can check this by navigating to System -> Add-ons -> Press Left or Up to go to the top options menu bar. Click button number 3 from left and check if the button Auto Updates says On.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]also, just my opinion but the sound during the splash screen when launching KODI is a bit loud. I believe that is from the skin as other skins I do not remember even making a sound during the splash screen. if I am remembering that incorrectly or understanding incorrectly my apologies.

That's correct.

You can change UI sounds in System -> Appearance -> GUI sounds.

Cheers
Gade
apologies on the late reply. got busy and hadn't had much time for trouble shooting.

(2015-08-13, 11:04)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, that clears things up a lot.

Rapier 7.5.4 is the latest official version for Kodi Helix, so if that's the version you have installed, it's perfect Smile

The unsupported repos - and especially SuperRepo - messes things up extremely often. So this is most likely the case here as well. If you uninstall those, I'm sure it will solve your problems.
any reason as to why the problem all of a sudden cropped up? it worked fine before.

also seems to be working fine on my friends setup. checked and no problems or errors reported on a Fire TV Stick with the exact same setup.

(2015-08-13, 11:04)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Rapier depends of 8 add-ons. If they are not installed or the correct minimum version, you will get the compatibility warning.

Check for these add-ons and minimum versions:

script.artistslideshow 1.7.0
script.favourites 4.0.9
service.skin.widgets 0.0.29
script.randomandlastitems 2.2.2
script.artwork.downloader 12.0.28
script.tv.show.next.aired 6.0.10
script.globalsearch 2.0.8
script.grab.fanart 0.13.2
checked all these and had the minimum on one or two and higher on the rest except two which were missing completely. another thing that makes me question why it worked before and why it is working on my friends setup. that setup will be missing those two addon also yet still works.

the two missing were - script.randomandlastitems-master (v2.2.2) and script.grab.fanart-master (Version 0.14.1)

I downloaded both manually as I could not find them through a text search of manually searching installed repos.

no clue what randomandlastitems did/added/changed. I saw nothing. I can guess from the name but saw no changes. grab.fanart actually changed a couple of existing artworks to alternate versions.

(2015-08-13, 11:04)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds weird. The skin can't do that, so it must be something else.

But your friend didn't use Rapier when this happened?

Does he use unsupported repos as well? If he does, that's likely the reason for things messing up.
yes. as answered above Rapier is the skin being used since I setup the Fire TV Stick myself based off the one I am using that now has the issue. that setup is identically to the one I use.

however that setup on that particular Fire TV Stick is not getting the skin incompatible message. not yet at least.

(2015-08-13, 02:39)Gade Wrote: [ -> ]Have you switched off automatic update of add-ons?

You can check this by navigating to System -> Add-ons -> Press Left or Up to go to the top options menu bar. Click button number 3 from left and check if the button Auto Updates says On.
checked and 'AUTO UPDATE: ON' (per my KODI screen. typing it as it shows not meant to be loud)

it is also on to 'HIDE INCOMPATIBLE'? would guess this applies to incompatible addons which the skin would be? however I still get the warning.

(2015-08-12, 23:34)thegh0st Wrote: [ -> ]also, just my opinion but the sound during the splash screen when launching KODI is a bit loud. I believe that is from the skin as other skins I do not remember even making a sound during the splash screen. if I am remembering that incorrectly or understanding incorrectly my apologies.

That's correct.

You can change UI sounds in System -> Appearance -> GUI sounds.

Cheers
Gade
thanks but I can't find anything that actually says GUI sounds. I see navigation sounds which is set to skin default. it doesn't let me pick of choose specific sounds though. just the skin default, off, or bursting bubbles.

been waiting on 15.1 because I thought they were going to fix the FF/RW issues but from reading the notes it seems this fix did not make it into 15.1 as stated that it would. perhaps because it is still not known how to fix this issue. that seems like an issue that would bug me greatly so I have refrained from from leaving KODI 14.2.

to be clear, I am still receiving the skin incompatible message each time I launch KODI 14.2
just an update. I waited 2 days and never got an auto-update for Rapier to 7.6 so I just downloaded it and installed from .zip. thought that fixed it but it just delays the message. after a longer wait the incompatible message is still popping up. not sure what else to try. the skin works fine but this message annoys me as it should not get this message.

perhaps I will try deleting all the Rapier files again and reinstalling. also a little peeved the auto-update didn't register 7.6 but less so than the annoying incompatible message.
Hi thegh0st.

I think it's the unofficial add-on repositories messing things up.

Try uninstalling those and let me know if you still get the error.

Before you uninstall: try going to Add-ons -> Install from repository -> Kodi add-on Repository -> Skin -> Rapier (don't remember the exact path in Helix, as I use Jarvis). Press info, I or click Add-on Information from the context menu. Does it say Broken: Yes? Try afterwards doing the same in your unofficial repo.

It shouldn't be skin related.

7.6.0 was pushed to the official repo yesterday late evening (August 21th), and sometimes updates takes a while to get picked up. So you can't have waited for 2 days Smile

Btw. I can only recommend updating to 15.1 Isengard as it's much better and more stable Smile