Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot Connect From External IP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently out of state and want to be able to watch the local football games/news from my server. The issue I am running into is when I try to play a channel from outside my homes network. After a few seconds I get a "Tuner No Longer Available" error. I have setup port forwarding and am able to connect to the webserver page via IPADDRESS:8866 so I know the port forwarding is working. The EPG info also updates when I go to live TV so it is connecting but not streaming the video.

The tuner is available because I connect through VNC and can see a channel playing on one of my home computers, but I still receive "Tuner No Longer Available". I have attempted this with a channel playing/not playing while remotely connected and still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Im assuming u try to connect from a remote location to your home ip/router behind which u run that server?
Upload bandwiith from ur server / home inet provider too low?
Honestly, you're probably not going to get it working well over the internet. Broadcast television tends to use fairly high bitrates, and this is only really suitable for transmitting across a local area network.
I thought it might be a bandwidth issue (4mb upload) but I wasn't sure. Good to know and disappointing at the same time. Thanks for the help.
(2015-08-13, 22:36)djdcm0722 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it might be a bandwidth issue (4mb upload) but I wasn't sure. Good to know and disappointing at the same time. Thanks for the help.
Some channels in the US use bitrates up to 17 Mbit/s. Even if your channel was using a bitrate less than 4 Mbit/s, you'd find your network connection probably wouldn't be able to sustain this rate, to give you smooth video at the other end.
You are better to use your backend directly for that type of viewing. I have setup wintv8 extend (hauppage) for port forwarded wan viewing, and it works fine. You can even adjust the stream rate to adjust for connection speeds.