Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi's name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey!

I just learned that Kodi name has not meaning behind it. However, I live in North Karelia (Finland) (Disclaimer: Ain't Finnish) and I've learned that kodi name is really similar to the Finnish word for home = koti, and some of it's declensions kodin = home's or kodit = homes. Kodi means home in karelian also. I really endemic language speaking in this area and in the russian karelia.

I just find this amusing (the software's name means Home) and makes me wonder if any of the developers is from this area.

Kiitos!
We have some developers from this area (2 i believe) but it wasn't the reason to choose the name.
We formed a long list of suggestions, then removed the ones that were impossible to trademark, then voted, then removed more that were not possible to trademark then voted again then removed again to be left with this Smile

The initial idea for the name came from the fact that several play/pauze/stop/forward buttons can also be read as letters, and we created a few words with those letters.

Code:
||< [] |> ||
wow! I think that after that explanation the name is even more awesome!

Thanks for the explanation!
beeing able to pronounce it in german was a factor too imo...
For a Finn like myself, it can sound kind of funny when you say "I installed Kodi" in Finnish: "asensin Kodin". It literally translates as "I installed a home"... Smile
Well but that hits the nail too Big Grin (your new home is the couch once you installed kodi ...) Big Grin
My couch is my castle? Smile