Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved ... sort of] SPDIF passthrough stopped working after update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

After updating my XBMCbuntu/Kodibuntu install to Isengard 15.1 last week, SPDIF passthrough has stopped working.

Debug log is here http://pastebin.com/7p3NtW0Z

System info from the debug log:

Starting Kodi (15.1 Git:d496682). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
Kodi compiled Aug 16 2015 by GCC 4.8.4 for Linux x86 64-bit version 3.13.11 (199947)
Running on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 3.19.0-26-generic

I have a PC connected to a receiver via toslink S/PDIF. It has worked for months, until I updated Kodibuntu last week (apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade).

I have sound in Kodi menus, but as soon as I start a video it all goes quiet. The receiver indicates that it is receiving a DD/DTS signal, but no sound emerges. If I disable passthrough, I get sound in videos.

I have tried a different kernel, 3.19.0-26-generic, no improvement.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
homer_doh
In your previous version were you by any chance starting Kodi with ALSA enabled? Try creating a shell script:

#! /bin/bash
pasuspender
AE_SINK=ALSA kodi

Then run that script to start Kodi and then go into your audio settings and try changing things around to use ALSA and see if that helps. With my previous receiver, I could only use ALSA to get full 5.1 output, not PulseAudio. Even with my new one I find that using ALSA solves a lot of problems with audio.

Of course if your receiver is incapable of handling a certain encoding format, there will be nothing you can do to make that format work.
Thanks, but there doesn't seem to be any pulseaudio installed. Tried it anyway, no difference. This is really strange. Undecided
please get us some screenshots from your audio settings.

Is it with all files or only with that specific file? I just saw that passthrough failed and it seems to be an unsupported audio codec, what is really strange
Is your SPDIF(IEC958) device muted?

I've had the same problem after a few kernel/alsa updates or if alsa crashes. Run the command "alsamixer" for your soundcard in a shell and check, if the the device is muted (MM) or not. If it's muted, then unmute it (select the device and press M), exit alsamixer (ESC) and store the new setting (alsactl store). Most desktop environments also have a mixer tool to change the value in the user interface (KMix, ...). That's the Gentoo-way, but Ubuntu should be similiar
(2015-08-23, 22:50)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]please get us some screenshots from your audio settings.

Is it with all files or only with that specific file? I just saw that passthrough failed and it seems to be an unsupported audio codec, what is really strange

It's with all files that I've tried. Two channel (PCM) audio works with S/PDIF passthrough, but DD/DTS does not. The DD/DTS symbols on the receiver blink on and off but no sound.

Here's a screenshot:
(2015-08-24, 13:28)zehner Wrote: [ -> ]Is your SPDIF(IEC958) device muted?

I've had the same problem after a few kernel/alsa updates or if alsa crashes. Run the command "alsamixer" for your soundcard in a shell and check, if the the device is muted (MM) or not. If it's muted, then unmute it (select the device and press M), exit alsamixer (ESC) and store the new setting (alsactl store). Most desktop environments also have a mixer tool to change the value in the user interface (KMix, ...). That's the Gentoo-way, but Ubuntu should be similiar

Alsamixer looks good to me:
After hours of trying different editions of Kodi(buntu) and loads of troubleshooting I finally found a working setup; install Windows 10, Kodi 15.1 for Windows and use WASAPI.