Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel Compute Stick (Win10) Isengard .mkv 1080p 10Gb DTS WiFi playback flawless!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I never thought it would be possible to have 1080p 10Gb mkv files play over WiFi,
especially on a machine this small. After some setup tricks I can attest that it is totally possible.

I recently bought the 32Gb Compute Stick and I upgraded the OS to Win10 once it was available.
I use a dual band wireless n router (Apple Time Capsule), with both bands (2.4 and 5GHz) available, connected to a Linksys WAG160n for internet access.
I keep my media stored on a WD MyCloud personal NAS that supports sharing through Network File System ( nfs:// ) and give it a static ip (eg 192.168.1.10).
(Now the important stuff) I import my media to Kodi through NFS by selecting Add Network Location.. on the file manager and I enter the nfs address manually, since the nfs browser doesn't produce any results for me. The address I use (as an example) is " nfs://192.168.1.10/nfs/Public/Shared Videos/ ".
Once the files are imported into the Kodi library I simply hit play on a large mkv and pause it for 5 seconds so that it can buffer a little, after hitting play again everything plays smoothly and sharply.

I've been testing all sorts of ways and connections to make this thing work and I can say that smb (SAMBA) sharing is not your friend so avoid it if possible.
The Compute Stick has been a dream so far ( minus the fact that it has one USB 2.0 ).
It makes no noise, it is as compact as a Windows computer can get and runs a full blown OS that's supported well by the open source community with features and software that can do everything you can imagine. I highly recommend it for Home Theater use if your TV has decent audio. If you happen to have an Amplifier and you want 5.1 channel audio to go through that you might want to look into that first before you buy this stick.
All in all I'm a happy camper after years of trial and error to get the perfect Home Theater Setup.
Right on thanks for sharing your experience. Are the .Mkv files from a Blu-ray rip or are they compressed?
Few straight BD rips are 10GB, so I'm guessing compressed.
They are compressed indeed, h264. The CPU load during playback sits around 25-30% for heavy scenes.