Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot Create bootable USB Stick with Linux Live USB Creator (Lili)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

as opposed to the statements in the Kodi Wiki on creating a bootable USB Stick, I do not manage to create one using Lili 2.9: When I select the kodibuntu ISO Image, Lili tells me that it doesn't detect the Linux version, but suggests to use the same mode as for Ubuntu 15.04 64Bit. The stick is created, but unbootable, I get the message "Missing Operating system".

See 4.3:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod..._USB_drive

So either I am doing something completely wrong, or the wiki is incorrect. Can anybody help how to successfully create that stick under Windwos?
Try Rufus if this is so complicated for you.
For windows you can use unetbootin or win32diskimager, too. Just to list 2 more examples to what universal already said.
I'd like to understand why LiLi is not working at all... Maybe a good idea to check again and update the wiki page?
Will do, and if neccessary make some changes to the wiki.
Thanks David, jus FYI: I tried with Rufus, selected the MBR.scheme, and the stick worked instantly. I still cannot imagine why LiLi does not support creating a stick, or why it doesn' recognize the image type, maybe we should request with the LiLi developers?
Well...

win32diskimager is the recommended tool for creating bootable sticks on the OpenELEC wiki and I never tried Rufus. So I can't tell anything about it. Under Linux I always used the standard application form Ubuntu (USB-creator or Startup Disk Creator...not sure as I don't know the english name for it Wink ) and it all works fine. I used unetbootin as well and never had any problems.

I'll try Lili at the weekend (very busy at the moment) and see, if I will get an error. As I'm not a dev in any way I won't start any conversation or bug reports to the Lili devs as I don't have the knowledge to. If Lili doesn't work (for whatever reason) I will mention another tool in the Wiki which will properly create bootable USB sticks. Either it will be unetbootin, win32diskimager or Rufus (if Lili won't work).

But if you want to file a bug at the Lili devs...feel free Wink
(2015-08-27, 19:51)Jackie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks David, jus FYI: I tried with Rufus, selected the MBR.scheme, and the stick worked instantly. I still cannot imagine why LiLi does not support creating a stick, or why it doesn' recognize the image type, maybe we should request with the LiLi developers?

If you have 3rd party tools suggestions, take it up with them.
I´ve tested Lili now and it works very fine for me. runs ootb with a very cheap USB stick. I got the same message like you "Version not detected but suggesting...blabla"

Only thing I did was unchecking the "hide files...."-option.

10 minutes incl. download of Kodibuntu. Runs like a charm on my laptop, So unfortunately I cannot reproduce your issue and so I won´t change the wiki as there is no reason for changing it.
Add a note to uncheck hide files just in case some machines or users issue Smile would be my suggestion.
I will...but only if this is the culprit why the op gets the issue....need further testing
Probably, when wrote that whole page I thought people had ability to use some commons sense. So much for figuring out anything.