Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help For A Newbie Slow Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got a B+, 16GB Kingston SD card. Formatted the card and installed OpenElec. Everything worked but is painfully slow.
When I say slow, I am saying that it takes 10 times longer to load anything than it does on my laptop or desktop.
I then re formatted the card and installed OSMC. That was even worse. I even went into settings and set the clocking speed to high. That made very little improvement. So I reformatted again and went back to OpenElec.

Is this how slow it should be or am I missing something? I tried some of the tweaks but they did little to improve speed.

I wanted to use this to replace having to connect my laptop to the TV.

Thanx
If this a Pi1? If so then you need to accept some slowness.
A Pi2 is substantially faster than a Pi1, so shouldn't be slow.

The sdcard can make a big difference to speed. The 4K reads/writes are the key number for speed. See this thread and perhaps test crystal mark on your card on windows.
The card I bought was a Class 10 per the install instructions I read.
(2015-08-30, 20:15)az99 Wrote: [ -> ]The card I bought was a Class 10 per the install instructions I read.

Class 10 doesn't necessarily help. It just guarantees it can handle continuous writes of 10MB/s (which is of no importance for Kodi).
Now some class 10 cards are good, but many have poor random access 4K speeds which is what matters.
I ran that test on my card and got some very odd results compared to the testers #'s.

------------------------ READ ----------- WRITE

Seq
Q32T1------------------ 105.2 ------------- 87.30

Q32T1------------------- 1.763 --------------- 0.783

Seq --------------------- 109.2 -------------- 95.62

4K ----------------------- 0.812 -------------- 0.778
Deleted
I found a Class 4 card. 8GB. I ran the test and the results were very similar.
(2015-08-30, 21:03)az99 Wrote: [ -> ]4K ----------------------- 0.812 -------------- 0.778

While these numbers aren't great, they are not the worst (4K write in the linked thread ranges from 0.025 to around 4), so I think the sdcard isn't the main factor.

You didn't mention if you actually do have a Pi1. The Pi2 was launched six months ago, so you shouldn't have bought a new Pi1 recently.
It is a P1 B+

I will get a P2 and try again.

Thanx for the help.
(2015-08-31, 12:38)az99 Wrote: [ -> ]It is a P1 B+

Thanx for the help.

You should get a pi2 with a Samsung evo 16gb microsd.

Will have no problems with speed then

Thanx for the help.

(2015-08-31, 14:09)the_bo Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanx for the help.

You should get a pi2 with a Samsung evo 16gb microsd.

Will have no problems with speed then

This is not the answer. I have 3 Pi 1s and they aren't very slow.
Pi1 is a bit laggy navigating through GUI, populating lists within Add-Ons, ... It needs some over-clocking for better performance - nowdays You don't even lose warranty with new kernel that is dynamically changing CPU speed. Pi2 is definitelly much faster and therefore provides much better user experience...
I had picked up a Pi2 a month ago to replace an original Pi Model B...what a difference! I was so impressed that I ordered a second one immediately. These little wonder machines are replacing two 3-4 year old Atom/ION mini-itx machines and cost 1/3rd the price. I stream from a OpenMediaVault NAS with a MySQL central database with no lag at all. Best of all they are both plugged into powered usb ports (one into a t.v., one into a receiver) so I can hide them completely.