Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: General Statement To Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using xbmc (kodi) since the original xbox and I never knew there was a community out here like this.

For years I lost track of this software to see it rebranded which was an obvious smart move and I see it is for all kinds of devices now which is sweet as hell.

I have been going through a lot of posts on this forum and I see a lot of things I think I should comment on if I may as a long term user, fan and 1st time contributor.

The first shock was the emphatic push from illegal content. To be fair, this is kind of what it was initially made to do, but I totally understand why this would want to be avoided as it came from something on a modded xbox to something for all devices, which is pretty neat. An old timey user like myself will always see this as an initial "wtf" so in some of these threads I think a guy with only 1 post should be given a bit more patience as it is not always someone who bought an "eBay box" as I saw some forum posts mentioning them (I never knew that was a thing).

That leads me to my second thought. I read a lot of posts here and someone mentioned that this community is like someone who likes building a car instead of someone who just owns one. Very true. The same posts come with concerns why major providers have ignored this product for so long. I love customizing my box and digging into the code, writing some scripts etc. My wife however would not know where to begin, and she is the one TV providers like Netflix are selling subscriptions to most (the average person). This leads me to wonder why this product can not coexist as both open source and a walled garden with very little ease. A simple walled version of this software created with technically challenged people in mind that removes some features like custom addons, scripts and enhances others like libraries and play lists without the extra steps on a fresh setup, while running on its own platform like a roku, has not been developed yet. Right now the push for open source and plain images with no proprietary hardware leaves something to be desired. Sure it is great for me and you, but leaves the average consumer with more to be desired. If this product really wants to take off in the direction of being a solid media center, making a walled garden of addons like a roku is the only way (but still keeping the open source builds for us junkies). A box that is free of piracy without modding or hacking, named Kodi that does not require a developer to try to make sure it works everywhere WILL get the support of content providers. This project needs a fork away from media center to a silly box of hardware that is just streaming with some (SOME) media center options. A Kodi box like a Roku needs to be developed to mainstream the product. I'll buy one just to support the company and I'm sure many others here would too as I see strong loyalty in the posts I have been reading.

I had another point to make but as I'm typing this from my phone and sort of long-winded the last paragraph I lost the train of thought on my last point.

Ps: Saw a lot of comments hating the new name change on the name change wiki page. If I may say, the name change is pretty ok and hurdles better than xbmc and this name change, with some intuitive ideas to mainstream this product will eventually land the project in some nice water

Excuse any misspellingspelling or run on sentences, sent from my Samsung s5
Additionally I would like to add that I am a Javascript, Python, Php (and related languages that come with those mentioned) developer and would be happy to help with coding. I specialize in backend rather than UI work and work in Web Development.
(2015-09-03, 07:26)Runthis Wrote: [ -> ]The first shock was the emphatic push from illegal content. To be fair, this is kind of what was initially made to do, but I totally understand why this would want to be avoided

Hi Runthis, thanks for the note. I would like to address this particular part of your comment, because I think it's a common misunderstanding of our stance.

Kodi (and XBMC before it) is and always has been a media player. For many people, that means illegal content or piracy stored locally. For others it means ripped DVDs and blurays. And these days, for yet others, it means streaming from the cloud, both of the legal and illegal variety, using addons. We do not object to or attempt to put up roadblocks in the software for any of these methods of using Kodi. As said, we're a media player, and we're happy to be a media player.

The problem is that some people have decided that Kodi should not be marketed as a media player, but rather as something akin to Kazaa or Napster, not a media player, but a media acquirer. This is what we heavily object to. Kodi does not have the ability to acquire content straight out of the box, and it never has had the ability to acquire content straight out of the box. The only way to acquire content is to either provide it yourself, or to install an addon that does so. Some addons we have no objection to, because they acquire content in a perfectly legal way.

Other addons we'd rather not be associated with, because they acquire content in a way that we think is probably illegal, and since we've never previously been associated with being an illegal media acquirer, we'd rather not start now.

Does that make sense?
Most definitely. I hope I did not imply xbmc was the provider of the content in question on that statement. The content is always up to the end user.
Ever since I soldered an Xecuter chip in my old xbox (boy was that fiddly) I've always hailed this software as the perfect example of what can be achieved when its a labour of love without any commercial interests involved, I will always be eternally grateful to all current and past team members for providing me with the best damn media player on the planet, but without wishing to open old wounds, would a walled garden version of this software be Plex?
And wouldn't it be beyond the capabilities of an organisation staffed entirely by volunteers to run and maintain a mass market and consumer friendly version?
Isn't that part of the media player market best left to those with commercial interests?
Quote:A Kodi box like a Roku needs to be developed to mainstream the product.

Kodi doesn't want to be a mainstream product. Kodi just wants to dance.
(2015-09-03, 18:37)stammie Wrote: [ -> ]Ever since I soldered an Xecuter chip in my old xbox (boy was that fiddly) I've always hailed this software as the perfect example of what can be achieved when its a labour of love without any commercial interests involved, I will always be eternally grateful to all current and past team members for providing me with the best damn media player on the planet, but without wishing to open old wounds, would a walled garden version of this software be Plex?
And wouldn't it be beyond the capabilities of an organisation staffed entirely by volunteers to run and maintain a mass market and consumer friendly version?
Isn't that part of the media player market best left to those with commercial interests?
^^^ this
(2015-09-03, 18:37)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:A Kodi box like a Roku needs to be developed to mainstream the product.

Kodi doesn't want to be a mainstream product. Kodi just wants to dance.

Well dance on. Shine on you crazy diamond