Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi, Mythtv installation help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, sorry for the NOOB question. I have a ASRock Q1900-ITX Intel Celeron J1900 Motherboard with 4 GB of ram and a 128 GB SSD. It is connected to my HDTV via HDMI and I have wired ethernet connection. I want to configure MythTV with my WinTV-HVR 955Q for OTA recording but also use Kodi for access to PLEX. From all the information out there I cannot figure out if I should install MythBuntu and then Kodi, or Ubuntu, then MythTV and Kodi or other combinations. The hardware is sufficient to do just about anything but I cannot figure out what would be the ideal combination for my HTPC. Thanks for the help and patience with the question.
Kodibuntu with mythtv
FWIW:

If you want everything contained on the one machine, there's a couple of ways to do it.

I'd probably recommend that you install a "full" installation of the Linux of your choice (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, etc.) and then install MythTV and Kodi on top of that. My experience has been that that's the most "workable" long-term configuration.

On the other hand, you certainly could install Mythbuntu and then Kodi, or Kodibuntu and MythTV, but I think you'll be happier in the long run with a "full" installation underneath everything else.

Perhaps the "best" configuration would be to install MythTV and Kodi on separate computers in a client/server relationship. This allows you to "tweak" each machine to better support the task(s) at hand, and allows them to bring more resources to the work, etc. It sounds like this is something you might want to consider.

I'm not sure, off-the-cuff how well your machine will be able to handle MythTV recording and Kodi playing HD (or even watching another SD channel) at the same time, for example. I think you might have trouble with only 4GB of RAM and an Intel Celeron processor, etc.

You didn't mention anything about storage either... the 128GB SSD isn't going to last very long for you. MythTV records everything first and then "shows" you what you ask for, so it needs a whole lot of disk space to really work right. You'll need some kind of large HDD or NAS to get things running smoothly.

It's been a while since I've tinkered with tuners, but I think you might have more trouble than you expect with the WinTV tuner. (I hope not). You might want to consider a Homerun network tuner for roughly the same price. I know it's kind of a cliche, but they "just work". They run pretty much flawlessly along with MythTV and you don't have to screw around with firmware, drivers, etc. They're "built in" to Mythtv.

Also, if you ever want to add Kodi clients, it will be much easier having your Myth installation and Library, etc. centralized. Which may also be useful for other "servers" like Plex.

Good luck, man! In any case, have fun!
Myth is the hardest to setup and therefore my pick is to install mythbuntu, then add kodi on top.

If you want to run two frontends, myth for tv and kodi for plex then I recommend setting up a mythfrontend menu item for kodi. Then your system will boot to mythfrontend, and you can start kodi from there.

Otoh you can do both tv and plex from kodi, and not bother with mythfrontend at all.

But a separate server/frontend setup is much better.