Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Status of 3D bluray support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is this still ongoing?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2043914

I've followed this topic with a close eye,; however nothing new posted in there,
I would love it to keep it going if project is still runing

***mod edit: better title Wink ****
why can't you make a proper thread title?
Guess its dead...
(2015-09-13, 09:55)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]Guess its dead...
just as 3D movies Wink
(2015-09-13, 14:05)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-13, 09:55)Skank Wrote: [ -> ]Guess its dead...
just as 3D movies Wink

Nah those arent Wink
guess you should change the attitude from "it's dead" to "is it possible?"
Is it possible that 3d is dead or is it possible that 3d support is dead? :p

Anyway i hoped koying would tell us something , if work is still ongoing or is awaiting for something or if its thrown in the garbage bin....
I hope everyone is keeping in mind the home theatre, although 3D is no longer trendy it still packs Imax theatres throughout the country and in some circles is considered a step forward in media. My first exposure to a viewmaster was unforgettable, it was images of dreams. Eventually the hardware will start to match, let's try and keep Kodi 3D on the table, even if the effort has little enthusiasm atm.
I think many who dismiss 3D....... don't have 3D.
We were born with 2 eyes for 1 reason.
Very grateful industry has given us the option to mimic a 3rd dimension from a bland 2 dimensional viewing experience.
To the naysayers I say, keep a firm grip on your B/W TV and never walk through life with both eyes open lest that shouldered 2.0 stereo boom box get banged.
Eh, wait for tvs with glasses-free 3D and consumer versions of VR headsets to catch on. I'm sure 3D will be back sooner or later.
I have a 3D TV and also a hand full of 3D movies, but 98% of the those don't get any additional value by being 3D. In contrary, the 3D hype has ruined most of the movies in the last years. Just have a look at 300 Rise of an Empire - watch it in 2D and you'll turn it off after 10 mins. Way too many directors try to give you a "in your face" moment and "super cool slow motion sequence" and don't care at all for good story telling. Adding 1000 special effects and slow motions don't make a terrible movie better. The best 3D is the one that you don't notice, so movies that care about story telling and a good camera placement and 3D is only adding the additional depths layer, movies on which you can't tell what's supposed to look "super cool" in 3D but are dead boring when watching in 2D.
That killed 3D for me and I hate it not to have the possibility to watch movies in 2D in cinemas anymore ("Available in 2D in selected theaters" - WTF) when I know that the 3D effects are not worth the extra money and slight screen ghosting. Most of my friends think the same, and everybody prefers to watch most movies in 2D in cinema (if possible)
So the original 2D 300 sits ok with you and the 3D sequel ruined the series? They both basically sucked unless violence, blood and brutality mixed with a bit of history is your thing. 3D wasn't the murderer or the savior. For arguments sake, instead of bashing movies created and relying on 3D must be junk and need 3D to gain interest, example something like Avatar. Who doesn't like Avatar? It looks very good in 2D. It looks even better in 3D and you notice. It's an enhancement for the experience. 7.2 audio sounds pretty awesome compared to 2.0 imo as well. The surround sound doesn't take anything away from the listening experience. Vinyl guys will argue it does. They like hearing the imperfections of the analog. I can't imagine listening to Avatar in 2.0 or switching it to 2D or worse yet pass buying it based on being a 3D release? To me these are "additional values". It's not about masking and "making terrible movies better". It's about making good movies even more attractive should one invest in hardware to gain the capabilities. I'm sorry you find that not worth the extra money. I do. Glad Marvell has been releasing their titles in 3D. Some scenes are made for 3D. The fact that it is offered in 3D didn't dictate the story as you'd have us believe. I'd have bought them 2D if that's the only way they came and the story would have been the same. Case in point, Marvell earlier releases were all 2D and the story telling has carried over to the newer 3D titles just as they were since the beginning. Marvell isn't hiding behind 3D to continue. They just know a good thing when they see it.... literally.
I didn't say that all 3D movies are bad or that it doesn't add additional value to some, but that a lot of the movies where at least ruined for me because they had to add some in-your-face shot for the sole purpose to be part of the hype and not because the movie or story telling benefited from it. As said, good movies where you don't really notice that they're also available in 3D can gain some extra value in 3D, but also don't loose on quality when watched in 2D. I love to watch Avatar in 3D and a hand full of other movies, but most of the new movies don't really gain anything from 3D, at least nothing that would make me pay more for it.

Because you mentioned Marvel movies - I f.e. hate the end fight between Spidy and Electro, as it mostly consists of "oh look how cool this is in 3D" moments. That entire fight has been designed around 3D, and you really see it. The movie would have benefited from spending less time on 3D but more time on good story telling (terrible movie IMO).

But let this topic not end in a fight about pro and contra 3D. If you follow development, you might have noticed that I'm one of the few (and for a long time only) dev that cared to improve 3D support and GUI integration in Kodi - regardless how I personally felt about it. I also convinced a dev just recently to add support for stereoscopic GUIs, so that when in stereoscopic mode a skin now can also have a some depths perception and I'm working on adding it to Confluence.
(2015-09-15, 17:52)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]But let this topic not end in a fight about pro and contra 3D. If you follow development, you might have noticed that I'm one of the few (and for a long time only) dev that cared to improve 3D support and GUI integration in Kodi - regardless how I personally felt about it.

Saying that, brings back to the topic.. whats the status now? Still ongoing or not?
Quote:But let this topic not end in a fight about pro and contra 3D. If you follow development, you might have noticed that I'm one of the few (and for a long time only) dev that cared to improve 3D support and GUI integration in Kodi - regardless how I personally felt about it. I also convinced a dev just recently to add support for stereoscopic GUIs, so that when in stereoscopic mode a skin now can also have a some depths perception and I'm working on adding it to Confluence.

Your work and effort with Kodi is beyond question, and I, along with most Thank-You.

I didn't mean to suggest that 3D is a 'must-have', just that with a the meeting coming in Prague, a dump 3D might be a regressive move and even if support lags in this area and the likely hood in the near future that it will be ever taken seriously, we shouldn't rule it out, given some producers and directors views heralding it as the next cash cow. I saw 'Gravity' in 3D Imax (paid the extra) and it was spectacular, the visuals were next best thing to me getting into space, yet the home version 2D was phht.,and left with a lame storyline. I suggest we keep the faith, and trust someone someday will rescue this part of Kodi and dust off the code.
Pages: 1 2 3