Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Expected to be announced today, September 17, along with new Kindle tablets...

- http://www.aftvnews.com/new-amazon-fire-...mber-30th/
- http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/09/16/...ew-update/
- http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/933808...nch-leaked

Also, looks like Alexa voice control support in above. Plus, Amazon smartly allowing many tablet games (not yet ported for TV) to be played on Fire TV.

Even with Amazon banning Kodi from its app store, the present, and I expect the new 4K-capable Fire TV, are/will be great Kodi boxes.
Yup just read about it in the Verge!

Did users have to look for certain Fire TV box versions to be able to get Kodi on it? IIRC?
(2015-09-17, 01:30)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Even with Amazon banning Kodi from its app store, the present, and I expect the new 4K-capable Fire TV, are/will be great Kodi boxes.
Lets not get carried away here with the word "great"
These would need to be fixed first:

- 23.976fps/59.94Hz video output so users don't have to put up with a Kodi box with 3:2 pulldown judder
- HD Audio Passthrough
- Hardware de-interlacing
- Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching based on fps of video source material.
(2015-09-17, 15:53)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [ -> ]Did users have to look for certain Fire TV box versions to be able to get Kodi on it? IIRC?
No, just need to sideload it, and optionally hijack another app to launch Kodi and replace with Kodi icon.
(2015-09-17, 15:57)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Lets not get carried away here with the word "great"

- 23.976fps/59.94Hz video output so users don't have to put up with a Kodi box with 3:2 pulldown judder
- HD Audio Passthrough

Agree with all this, but for an all-in-one Android-based box (Kodi, premium apps, and games) for the family/living room (not necessarily a dedicated home theater need), it's great for the price. I'm hoping the things you listed as fixes will be part of nVidia Shield's next (2.0) update, but its price is double of FTV.
I'm not very technical so can anyone tell me if content on the sdcard would run faster/better than content on the current usb 3.0 port?
The USB port on gen1 FTV is 2.0. Also, I'm hoping the new Fire TV OS moves not just apps to mSD or USB, but app data as well, which is usually larger.
(2015-09-17, 16:28)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]The USB port on gen1 FTV is 2.0. Also, I'm hoping the new Fire TV OS moves not just apps to mSD or USB, but app data as well, which is usually larger.

Ok thnx. Ordering the gamer model right now.
(2015-09-17, 16:06)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-17, 15:57)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Lets not get carried away here with the word "great"

- HD Audio Passthrough

Agree with all this, but for an all-in-one Android-based box (Kodi, premium apps, and games) for the family/living room (not necessarily a dedicated home theater need), it's great for the price. I'm hoping the things you listed as fixes will be part of nVidia Shield's next (2.0) update, but its price is double of FTV.

Well one box that is not double the price of a FTV that will include all the above features (HD Netflix etc as well) in an Android Lolipop box - Plus you also get 4K HEVC, is going to be the $120 (109 EUR) Wetek Core 4K. You then also get the Option to run OpenElec as well in a dual boot configuration.

Why should a Kodi user support Amazon, when they have a walled garden approach and definitely do not support Open Source software like Kodi ?
From the info that it's Mediatek with a GX6250 it can only be the MT8173 SoC.

Not that there is much more info but it does support HDCP 2.2 along with HEVC/VP9 hardware decoding.
http://www.mediatek.com/en/products/mobi...et/mt8173/
http://www.mediatek.com/en/news-events/m...oc-mt8173/

Pity Amazon are such jerks towards Kodi on their app store though.

I cant fathom why someone like Western Digital hasn't launched an official AndroidTV box in the same price range for the global market they used to be the king and are still peddling their ancient boxes. Instead were stuck with the impressive but more costly Nvidia Shield and FireTV [for boxes with legit streaming from Netflix etc, along with a proper TV UI not tablet android with or without a skin].
Looks like only 30fps 4K? Confusing, as it also says "Provides uncompromised user experience for WQXGA display at 60fps".

One interesting bit I noticed in Amazon's specs are "HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1" and "Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC)". Wondering if HD audio support is a possibility.
Still no volume control?
New Apple TV is only 1080p!!!
Shame on you Apple!!
Specs

Quote:
Size 4.5" x 4.5" x 0.7" (115 mm x 115 mm x 17.8 mm)
Weight 9.5 oz. (270 g)
Processor MediaTek Quad-core up to 2 Ghz
Dual-core @ 2.0 GHz + Dual-core @ 1.6 GHz
GPU Power VR GX6250
Storage 8 GB internal
Memory 2 GB
Wi-Fi Connectivity Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi networks.
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.1 with support for the following profiles: HID, HFP, SPP
Voice Support Yes, with Fire TV Voice Remote (included) or free Fire TV Remote App (available for download on Fire, Android, and iOS)
Game Controller Support Yes, optimized for Amazon Fire TV Game Controller and most games are compatible with other Bluetooth controllers
Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content
Ports DC Jack, HDMI output, 10/100 Ethernet, microSD slot, USB 2.0
Audio Support Dolby Audio, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1
Content Formats Supported Video: H.265, H.264, Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
Output Resolution Supported 2160p up to 30fps; 720p and 1080p up to 60fps
System Requirements Compatible high-definition or ultra high-definition television with available HDMI input, Internet connection, a power outlet
TV Compatibility TV must support minimum HDCP requirements for protected content playback. Learn more. Compatible with (1) 4K ultra high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 2160p at 24/25/30/50/60 Hz and HDCP 2.2, including popular models from LG, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, and others or (2) high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 50/60 Hz, including popular HDCP-compatible models from Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse, and others.
Warranty and Service 1-year Limited Warranty and service included. Optional 2-year and 3-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Fire TV is subject to the terms found here.
Regional Support Certain services may not be available outside the U.S.
Closed Captioning Watch videos and TV shows with closed captioning displayed. Captions are not available for all content.
Included in the Box Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV Voice Remote
Power adapter
2 AAA batteries
Quick Start Guide
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23