Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Renaming - titles with embedded periods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just started using tMM and love it. Thanks for the great work!

I'm having a problem though, with the tv show The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Actually, tMM handles the renaming for this show just fine, but is creating a conflict with FileBot which I use to dynamically rename new recordings from the PVR (TVHeadend). When FileBot renames these files on my Linux HTPC, the folder name gets mangled into "THE MA~N". I found a resolution to this by using the FileBot replaceAll function to remove the periods, yielding a folder name of "The Man from UNCLE". That would be an acceptable solution, except that tMM has already named the folder WITH the periods, so now I wind up with two separate folders!

I'm wondering if there is, or can be, a tMM feature similar to FileBot's replaceAll function so that tMM renaming would result in the same, safer, period-free folder name?

A few additional notes:
  • Yes, I will be posting a similar question to the FileBot forum.
  • The real problem is probably in Ubuntu or NFS, but is likely unresolvable at that level.
  • Using tMM command-line instead of FileBot would be a good idea, but there doesn't seem to be enough flexibility for renaming just a specified file in the same way. An enhancement in this area would be equally welcome.
  • The replaceAll syntax is "n.replaceAll(/./)" which replaces all "." characters in n with nothing.
  • Maybe another renamer would work better than FileBot? Since finding tMM, I no longer have any other use for FileBot anyway.
Looks like a LongFilename problem of good old (v)FAT partition (and the incompatibilities in displaying between win-linux?)
Are the folders correctly displayed on the linux box (terminal)?

Currently we got along without any replacing methods :p
Will think about it, if (and how) we might implement this...
Yes it does look like a FAT shortname conversion. The mount is NFS to a NAS folder that is actually some unknown *nix fs. The folders ARE correctly displayed everywhere I have looked at them, though I'm not sure I've viewed them direcly on the Linux box (and can't check right now). All other long names work fine - only folder names with embedded periods are affected.

Anyway, I have workarounds to choose from so it isn't urgent. I actually think the best change to tMM would be enhanced command-line usage so it could replace the FileBot functionality in my TVH post-processing script. That might not solve the specific problem, but it would eliminate a redundant tool, which is always a good thing.

Thanks for considering and advising.