Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I use the Fire Stick as an "extender"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I am very new to Kodi and I think misunderstood it's capabilities. Last time I ran an HTPC I used WMC and used an Xbox 360 as an extender. Well, I gave my 360 away and am cutting the cord again so I purchased a Fire Stick thinking that it would be an extender to Kodi running on my HTPC. I can't figure anyway for it to do that, so was I just way off? How can you play live TV from the Fire Stick. I've used my best Googling skills to find an answer but can't. Can one of you cool guys help me out? I did install Kodi and have it all set up on my computer and Fire Stick. And I am using WMC as my backend.
No, but you can run Kodi directly on a Fire TV stick, and every Kodi instance can use your WMC backend.
(2015-10-01, 02:28)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]No, but you can run Kodi directly on a Fire TV stick, and every Kodi instance can use your WMC backend.

Ohhhh, that is awesome. Thank you so much for helping me so fast. So if I can use WMC as a backend, can I also use any other backend. And if so, can any of them reduce the size of the recording so that wifi streaming is better? I haven't tried wifi streaming yet but I'm worried it won't be good enough.
Some PVR back ends do have transcoding to help with the file size on wifi, but I haven't really played around with it much myself.
(2015-10-01, 02:56)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Some PVR back ends do have transcoding to help with the file size on wifi, but I haven't really played around with it much myself.

Thanks again, you got me 99% of the way there. But I'm having trouble actually setting up the pvr wmc. It keeps saying it is disconnected. Do I put the ip address of the computer that serverwmc is running on?
Yep
You might find some helpful information here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193310