Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Anyone interested in writing a Kodi column for Cordcutting.com?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

It would be nice to have a Kodi column on Cordcutting.com. As I'm neither a Kodi expert nor a very good writer, I would like to enquire wheter any of you would be interested in this? I would, of course, pay the writer/writers something for his/her/their efforts.

Thanks for your time! Smile
That is a great domain name for people to find however it is worrying that the Top 5 Kodi add ons includes 3 Banned add-ons (wiki) which provide illegally obtained and hosted content.

My favourite comment in this article is " Of course, <banned add-on No.1> is a little less legal than Netflix, but Kodi addons are kind of the Wild West of the streaming world."

I understand that people have conflated "Cord Cutting" with illegal streaming and you are looking for hits but the rest of your content with hardware reviews and explaining how to cancel cable and use other subscription services is useful information where you could correct this misconception.
not likely i think, given the fact your site is actively promoting piracy addons.
we're trying very hard to distance ourselves from any addon that provides illegal access to pirated content.
@ronie with the TL: DR
On my behalf, I'm very sorry that we have promoted banned add-ons. If I may offer an explanation, I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that we don't have a Kodi expert writing for us, and that add-on piece was probably written based on too hastily done research... Promoting piracy is surely not our intention.

I wasn't aware that people would conflate cord cutting with illegal streaming. For us, cord cutting means simply canceling pay-TV in favor of Internet sources - and this is exactly where we want to focus on - not anything piracy-related.
The general rule is if it seems to good to be true more than likely it is not a legal source of content.
(2015-10-09, 14:50)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]The general rule is if it seems to good to be true more than likely it is not a legal source of content.

You're right. We should have been more thorough in our research when choosing which add-ons to discuss in the article.

However, if anyone still wants to consider writing for the site (we will, of course, remove the mentioned piece containing banned add-ons), we could work together in order to clear Kodi's name of piracy-related allegations (I'm referring to, for example, Amazon's decision to not let Kodi in their appstore).
(2015-10-09, 14:45)Mr. Willie Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't aware that people would conflate cord cutting with illegal streaming. For us, cord cutting means simply canceling pay-TV in favor of Internet sources - and this is exactly where we want to focus on - not anything piracy-related.

If this is true may I ask why you have two articles on the first two pages on your site promoting popcorn time?
Or were you unaware of the legal status of that project?

A cynic might think you have achieved your aim of gaining more hits for your site by posting it here!
I'm a cynical cove by nature but I want to believe your site could be a voice against the cord cutting = illegal streaming misapprehension that some people are under.

A good start would be to remove the articles which promote or discuss the dubious methods of watching sports or movies and highlight the hardware reviews and the weekly news roundups. You clearly know that they are dubious as you mention the legality or not of various services within the articles and anything on this list Banned add-ons (wiki) should be removed too.

There are plenty of add ons which allow you to cancel your cable subscription and subscribe to only that content for which you wish to pay. You could highlight those legitimate add ons and break the association with piracy that is dogging the Kodi/ cord cutting community in the minds of the public.
(2015-10-10, 10:24)stammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-09, 14:45)Mr. Willie Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't aware that people would conflate cord cutting with illegal streaming. For us, cord cutting means simply canceling pay-TV in favor of Internet sources - and this is exactly where we want to focus on - not anything piracy-related.

If this is true may I ask why you have two articles on the first two pages on your site promoting popcorn time?
Or were you unaware of the legal status of that project?

Actually, we didn't think those Popcorn Time interviews as promoting the service. We were mainly interested in the views of the two primary Popcorn Time teams. If a magazine interviews a criminal, that doesn't mean the magazine is encouraging crime, right? That said, I understand that there's a thin line between writing about projects like Popcorn Time and promoting them. On the one hand, all writing about such projects can perhaps be considered promoting them.
(2015-10-10, 11:42)UsefulG Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a cynical cove by nature but I want to believe your site could be a voice against the cord cutting = illegal streaming misapprehension that some people are under.

A good start would be to remove the articles which promote or discuss the dubious methods of watching sports or movies and highlight the hardware reviews and the weekly news roundups. You clearly know that they are dubious as you mention the legality or not of various services within the articles and anything on this list Banned add-ons (wiki) should be removed too.

There are plenty of add ons which allow you to cancel your cable subscription and subscribe to only that content for which you wish to pay. You could highlight those legitimate add ons and break the association with piracy that is dogging the Kodi/ cord cutting community in the minds of the public.

Thank you for your kind advice!

I'm going to suggest to the writer of the add-on piece that we could rewrite it and feature only add-ons from the official Kodi repository. Also, we surely have to adopt a stricter line when it comes to future articles.