Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live TV deinterlacing with pentium n3700
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am now the kinda disappointed owner of a NUC NUC5PPYH

I run a Myth server as my live tv backend. When deinterlacing is set to auto, the results are rather jerky. I set deinterlacing off and things look better but if I look close i can find the interlacing artifacts.

I live in the USA and I'm getting OTA with a HDHomeRun/Myth setup.

I think I can avoid interlacing if I can configure Myth to post-process recordings to transcode the recorded file to a deinterlaced format but that is off-topic for a Kodi Hardware forum Tongue (pointers welcome). That works for recorded content (the BEST way to watch OTA) but not really for watching Live TV.

So, with the intel pentium n3700, is there a good way to setup to deinterlace 1080i?
I'm running OpenElec 5.95 (kodi 15.1)
Think you may be better off with one of the Developer builds in the Linux forum. A lot of work has been done to get high quality deinterlacing working on the Intel platforms (as well as work to reduce banding)
Thanks, I downloaded. Leaving the de-interlace method as auto is not really working. What method offers the optimal result given my hardware? I currently have it set a VAAPI Motion adaptive.

Any other setting to optimize from default? That EGL thread is over 100 pages long
I found with my NUC5CPYH that setting deinterlacing to Auto used software deinterlacing which maxed out my two cores and provided a jerky playback experience. Setting deinterlacing to VAAPI-MCDI or VAAPI-MADI uses the GPU for deinterlacing and provides a much better result and minimal CPU utilization.
(2015-10-10, 22:26)smitopher Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I downloaded. Leaving the de-interlace method as auto is not really working. What method offers the optimal result given my hardware? I currently have it set a VAAPI Motion adaptive.

Any other setting to optimize from default? That EGL thread is over 100 pages long

First page I have written:
Quote:System ->Video->Acceleration:
Enable HQ Scalers for scaling above: 20%
Allow hardware acceleration (VDPAU): off
Allow hardware acceleration (VAAPI): On
Use Mpeg-2 VAAPI: Yes
Use Mpeg-4 VAAPI: if you like
UseVC-1 VAAPI: on
Prefer VAAPI Render Method: on <- This version has the banding fixed, so enable that setting to save CPU cycles with 100% quality.
Adjust Refreshrate to match video: On

System -> Video -> Playback
Sync Playback to Display: On and Off if passthrough enabled
Adjust display refresh rate to match video: On Start / Stop

While watching a SD(!) video, that is accelerated by VAAPI, e.g. mpeg-2 or h264, click the film role and choose: Deinterlace: Auto (Never set this to ON it will harm for everything that is not interlaced) Deinterlacing-Method: VAAPI-MCDI or VAAPI-MADI (Baytrail, Sandybridge), Scaling Method: Lanczos3 Optimized and choose save for all files. Remember to do this only in combination with the above "scaling above" for 20%. This Lanczos3 Optimized filter might be too heavy for BYTs, here you might - depending on the file - choose Bilinear.
(2015-10-11, 11:16)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]First page I have written:

Thank you

Quote:Prefer VAAPI Render Method: on <- This version has the banding fixed, so enable that setting to save CPU cycles with 100% quality.

I'm REALLY looking forward to no banding. Thank you again!
Make sure to read the xrandr stuff on howto set the driver color range - when this is not done properly - the driver will do scaling again without any control by us.
(2015-10-11, 21:15)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure to read the xrandr stuff on howto set the driver color range - when this is not done properly - the driver will do scaling again without any control by us.
this is not the default in the Jarvis OpenELEC builds?

*EDIT*

Ok, I read it. My tv can set the color range. I set use limited off and set TV to "non-standard"

NO BANDING... almost

Never had so little banding. barely can find it if looking for it in placed where I always had banding
So... My TV can display 24P... at 48P with annoying flicker...Undecided
(2015-10-12, 01:16)smitopher Wrote: [ -> ]So... My TV can display 24P... at 48P with annoying flicker...Undecided

What TV do you have? All of my Sony LCDs that support 24p inputs (and display without asymmetric judder) do that without flicker - from a 2007/2008 Bravia 40W4000 to a recent UHD model. My original 40W2000 doesn't support 24p input and so is forced to be fed 60p with 3:2. Other cheaper (bedroom) TVs accept 24p but clearly convert it to 3:2 for display.

I think most plasmas that accept 24p display at 72Hz - as they are emissive displays and thus flicker at refresh rate. LCDs usually (though not always) have a constant backlight, so don't flicker at refresh rate, so I think often display 24p at 48Hz with no noticeable flicker? (Black frame insertion or a pulsed backlight will alter this)
I'm not so disappointed anymore Big Grin
(2015-10-12, 01:35)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]What TV do you have?
A Panasonic Plasma. 48 Hz is what it says (and it says "with flicker") when you enable 24P
(2015-10-12, 02:04)smitopher Wrote: [ -> ]
A Panasonic Plasma. 48 Hz is what it says (and it says "with flicker") when you enable 24P

Yep - Plasmas, like CRTs (and now OLEDs), will have large area flicker at 48Hz refresh because they are emissive devices (where each pixel generates light). With plasmas you also have the issues of sub-field flicker, (each frame/field is split into multiple sub-fields) where some picture content will appear to flicker more than others because the greyscale on plasma is generated by switching pixels on and off for specific subfields to simulate grey scale (Plasma pixels are either on or off - they don't have variable brightness, you simulate variable brightness by using subfields)

For 24p display without flicker you need a plasma that uses 72Hz refresh instead. I didn't think 48Hz was widely implemented on plasmas, because of the flicker issues - though your set obviously demonstrates that some do/did.

If the large area flicker is a major issue (I'm sure it will be, particularly if you are from a 60Hz rather than 50Hz country) then I guess you only have the option of 3:2 pulldown at 60p.
(2015-10-12, 02:04)smitopher Wrote: [ -> ]

IIRC US Panasonic plasmas from 2012 and on (50 & 60 series) have a 48hz mode, unlike EU models that have been supporting 24p at 96hz since at least the 10 series.
48hz on a plasma is unwatchable indeed, you'd be better off with 48hz off, but enable Intelligent Frame Creation at the lowest level. You'll get 96hz for your 24p content, BUT with a minor frame interpolation. Yes it's a little distortion of the original signal, but I believe it's the best you can get with your tv...