Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED] Kodi freezes when pressing "Play Disc" (playing a DVD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Relevant information:
Kodi: 15.2 "Isengard"
Hardware: AMD APU quad core, 8gb RAM
Log: Located here
addons: advanced launcher, addon installer
skin : default (confluence)

Reproduction:
Insert DVD to drive, click "play disc" option within Kodi

Outcome:
Kodi freezes and must be killed

extra info:
libdvdcss installed as per these steps found in this thread
user account that runs Kodi has sudo powers
the dvd plays error free using the stock ubuntu "videos" application
I have set "force region" within Kodi, and tried various regions, it looks like the dvd is region 4 so naturally tried that one first with no luck, tested 0-4 for good measure.
libdvdnav and libdvd4read (or whatever it's name is) came pre-isntalled on ubuntu so I have not tampered with these.
I did read that libdvdcss can take some time to decode the dvd keys, so I let it run while I drafted this post (which has taken a surprising amount of time) and it's still frozen.

This is a freshly built HTPC and seems to do everything else within and without of Kodi just fine. Runs games via steam in-home streaming with zero performance issues, plays netflix and other video files etc with no issues. An otherwise perfect HTPC except for this one issue.
I have poked around the forums and conducted relatively extensive google searches to no avail, what information I have found I have tried (install libdvdcss etc) and the problem persists.

Thanks in advance for any help! As this is my first time posting here I sincerely hope I have provided enough of the appropriate information.

Cheers,
Noom.
This was on our list and was already fixed for v16. If you can - try a nightly and report back.
(2015-11-22, 09:17)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]This was on our list and was already fixed for v16. If you can - try a nightly and report back.

Oh great to hear, I didn't even think to check patch notes for upcoming releases, I'll look into updating now, hopefully I can patch into it, but if not will install a fresh copy and test it out.
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi kodi-bin
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Thanks for the code, I had gone and stumbled about on the HTPC and got it going myself, I used the unstable branch instead of nightly and can confirm the bug is fixed in this version (I think it was 16.0 beta1?)
Hooray!
Thanks for the extremely fast response and wonderful help fritsch, you do good work!
I've updated the thread title to [SOLVED]
You are welcome.
Sorry for posting here again but it seems I have exactly the same problem.
Ubuntu 16.10, Kodi 16.1. But the rest behaves as described above: I insert the DVD and when I press "Play Disc" or whatever the English translation is, Kodi just freezes and I have to kill it before being able to access it again.

Best regards,
Matthias
I have the same problem. I installed kodi on a fresh lubuntu 16.10 box. I installed libdvd-pkg as suggested in the official documentation but when I click on "play disc" in kodi, it crashes and the only way o exit is kill the process. How can i solve this problem? Thanks
You post your Debug Log and your crashlog - as documented in the "read this before posting" post.
Sorry for not reading th instructions SadSadSadSad I tried to follow them but kodi crashed when i click ok in Kodi log uploader. This is my log after hitting "play disc" button with a DVD inserted.

http://pastebin.com/fuYWXSMV
Quote:20:22:48 T:140687166729088 NOTICE: Starting Kodi from Debian (16.1 Debian package version: 16.1+dfsg1-2). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
20:22:48 T:140687166729088 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi from Debian x64 build
20:22:48 T:140687166729088 NOTICE: Kodi from Debian compiled from 16.1+dfsg1-2 by GCC 6.1.1 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.4.15 (263183)
^^ not our software.
Which means?
I installed it via PPA from ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/yakkety which was proposed in the WiKi. So I thought I'll get yours and not another one.

BR,
Matthias
How is it possible? I installed kodi following the instruction in the wiki like matmike. What is the right repository then?
Running on Ubuntu 16.10
-> you need to use the nightly PPA
Ah, OK. Do we have to stay on nightly forever or is it just a temporary fix and then we can switch at some time in the future?
--edit--
And another question: Nightly implies already Kodi v17, I guess. As I#m using a centralized database, this might cause some inconsistencies. Am I right?
Pages: 1 2