Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can you compile for android from windows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI guys, I was just wondering if it is possible to compile an APK for android using the git source, from the windows OS. Everything I've seen about compiling kodi references linux.

If it can be done in windows, can it be done in android studio? is there a guide?

Thank you for looking Smile
no, not supported.
Thank you.
We can use Docker to do this in Windows.
Docker? Just install a VirtualBox VM. That's what I do.
Yes, I have built Kodi 15.2 by using Docker on Windows (https://www.docker.com/). It's lightweight container, shared host resource without installation a new Virtual Machine.
You can im pretty sure with the new windows update . On the 64 bit versions you can install bash shell to run unbuntu on windows
This isn’t a virtual machine, a container, or Linux software compiled for Windows (like Cygwin). Instead, Windows 10 gains a Windows Subsystem for Linux, which is based on Microsoft’s abandoned Project Astoria work for running Android apps on Windows.

Think of it as the opposite of Wine. While Wine allows you to run Windows applications directly on Linux, the Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to run Linux applications directly on Windows.

Microsoft has worked with Canonical to offer a full Ubuntu-based Bash shell that runs atop this subsystem. Technically, this isn’t Linux at all. Linux is the underlying operating system kernel, and that isn’t available here. Instead, this allows you to run the Bash shell and the exact same binaries you’d normally run on Ubuntu Linux. Free-software purists often argue the average Linux operating system should be called “GNU/Linux” because it’s really a lot of GNU software running on the Linux kernel. The Bash shell you’ll get is really just all those GNU utilities and other software.
Compilation using bash on Windows fails at the make command. So looks like it doesn't have all the necessary components.

Sent from my X15