Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adding real, native, proper Full Screen Mac OS X support.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want something like this on Kodi.. a true proper Mac OS full screen mode.. feels much more stable and easier to navigate in and out from without using virtual desktops etc. Would be great.

Like Plex have done now with Plex Media Player.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/193305...on-macmini
Quote:"(Full screen in OSX means that a application takes up the whole workspace it is in. There is no other app in that space beside the full screen app."

If someone could make a forked Kodi native to mac that would be an alternative as well.

If you could fix native Mac full screen support I would love it, it would be great, thanks.
its on the todo list for a long time (while also removing sdl completely). Basically there is even alot of code for it already done - but the whole windowing stuff is simply not working yet and nobody has found the needed time yet to analyse the remaining problems.
Ok Thank you, interesting.. maybe that was one of the reasons Plex made a whole new player from "scratch" it seems..
Maybe its one downside with it would be that it would "look" and behave differently on different platforms (mainly Windows/Mac) then maybe but I dont see much downside with it otherwise.

Would love if this function could work in the future.

But thank you for your info!
I'm digging into the MrMC nuke of sdl closer now. One issue is the mixing of OSX app windowing with core windowing. As core windowing runs in a different thread, there can be contentions with OSX app windowing that runs in main thread. Working on it Smile
Hi again, there is a partial support for this now... if you start up Kodi 16 and 17 nightly (I´m not sure if this was availiable earlier..) and set it in windowed mode, and then with the mouse press the green button in the corner to go to full screen, and then go back and choose the monitor in settings, it will then occupy an own virtual desktop! (with the name Kodi) just like the new Plex Media Player does.. And you can also, like I have if you have dual monitor set up, use the other screen totally independent and it will not affect video playback smoothness like earlier Kodi versions did. This is a bit of a work around though and not really optimal, is full functioning/compability still in the pipeline? thanks
nobody of team kodi works on this atm. MrMC has the refactor of windowing in it but its not working right yet (at least for me here)
(2016-02-21, 13:52)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]nobody of team kodi works on this atm. MrMC has the refactor of windowing in it but its not working right yet (at least for me here)

Ok, but I can't find MrMC for mac os x..? is it just for IOS and Apple tv and what has this to do with this then..? sorry I dont completely understand..
it wasn't released for osx yet i guess but you can compile mrmc for osx already. As said it also hasn't a real fix for your issue yet. Just wanted to point out that its more likely that mrmc develops a fix then team kodi ... (once mrmc has it working we can pull it into kodi then...)
When MrMC for OSX is stable, we will start providing a deployment for it. Until then, anyone can self builds from MrMC repos. Build process is same as for Kodi for OSX.

Right now we are busy with 2.x series for iOS/tvOS.
(2016-02-21, 16:53)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]it wasn't released for osx yet i guess but you can compile mrmc for osx already. As said it also hasn't a real fix for your issue yet. Just wanted to point out that its more likely that mrmc develops a fix then team kodi ... (once mrmc has it working we can pull it into kodi then...)
(2016-02-22, 04:48)MrMC Wrote: [ -> ]When MrMC for OSX is stable, we will start providing a deployment for it. Until then, anyone can self builds from MrMC repos. Build process is same as for Kodi for OSX.

Right now we are busy with 2.x series for iOS/tvOS.

Is there someone potentially looking into working on this now, the MrMC 2.0 has been out for a while.. (bought it on ATV btw!)
Would be great!

Or when is MrMC for OSX is stable..?

sorry I have no programming skills at all..

thanks
So this is not happening in the foreseeable future.. no one working on it, too big of a task. I would love it though.
(2016-09-19, 12:47)neandertal Wrote: [ -> ]So this is not happening in the foreseeable future.. no one working on it, too big of a task. I would love it though.

What's the point of a post like that, except for annoying and/or insulting the only active OS X dev who simply doesn't have enough time to work on everything?