Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
EDIT Price increase to $46 - March 2017

ODroid have just announced the successor for the ODroid C1/C1+ board called... The C2. Price is $40 suggested.

Delivery due in March. Based on the AMLogic S905, with 2GB RAM, same physical specs as the C1+ (so case compatible, though the GPIOs aren't quite the same - no SPI - and the RTC is no longer available as the new SoC doesn't support them)

HEVC/H264/VC-1 hardware video decoding - no mention of 10bit but CNX have previously reported 10 bit playback support for S905 based kit. (Not sure about output)

CNX Software are reporting 2160/60p HDMI 2.0 too...

GigE, 4 X USB 2.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 OTG.

Ubuntu 16.04 or Android Lollipop 5.1.

Annoyingly the kernel is 3.14LTS so there may be some stuff not supported.

More detailed at http://cnx-software.com, and a thread at the ODroid forums.
Updated 7th Dec 2016

LibreELEC 7.1.1 released with more bug fixes, a new Hybrid CEC implementation, upgraded Kernel + Multichannel PCM support Smile

Note: Anything not listed as a minus "-" is already supported and works properly.

ODROID C2 running LibreELEC 7.1.0 Kodi Jarvis 16.1 Final
  • + Bootup time is 9 secs. when using a eMMC Flash Card
  • + Refresh Rate Switches properly with smooth video playback in 720p/1080p/2160p display modes.
  • + You can run the Kodi GUI in 2160p at 50/60Hz with no slowdowns. HDMI 2.0 device.
  • + Comprehensive HDMI CEC control, same as the RPi's. Control you AVR's volume from TV remote and more.
  • + 8/10-bit 720p/1080p/2160p HEVC all playback perfectly
  • + Excellent deinterlacing of mpeg2/H264 Broadcast TV
  • + Snappy, responsive Kodi device, fast GigaE Ethernet.
  • + Sensitive IR receiver on board
  • + ON/OFF via the HardKernel C2 remote control or with Harmony remotes you can also program this ON/OFF function.
  • + Custom program you own IR remote control for use with Kodi pretty easily using Lirc.
  • + Flash the LibreELEC image to a SD or eMMC card, plugin and you are good to go.
  • + Plays virtually everything you throw at it apart from those Non standard codecs listed below.
  • - No TV auto resolution switching from 1080p <--> 2160p, you must select 2160p manually, in Kodi display settings first. Fixed !
  • - AC3/DD/DTS 5.1 Audio passthrough is still a WIP Fixed !
  • - Random users having Ethernet/bootup connectivity issues when using SD cards. eMMC is fine. Fixed !
  • - Interlaced Bluray Rips containing VC-1 content have stuttering playback. Normal VC-1 Movie Rips fine.Fixed !
  • - Interlaced DVD Rips of Docos, Music Concerts have stuttering playback.
  • + Fixed this long standing mpeg2 DVD ISO Rips bug with nice quality Yadif 2x deinterlacing !
  • - No 1080p H264 HiP10 Anime support, you will need a decent Intel machine to Software decode this combo.
  • + However, most 720p 10bit HiP10 Anime can software decode on the C2, depending on Bitrates.
  • ~ 3D ISO Rips (MVC) will be decoded and output as Top/Bottom at Half Resolution 3D.
  • - This is not a HDR10 or 1080/2160p VP9 decoding platform.

ODROID C2 LibreELEC 7.1.0 HDMI Audio support list:
  • + Passthrough of AC3/DD/DTS 5.1 (Lossy)
  • + Passthrough of DD+ (EAC3)
  • + Passthrough of Dolby True HD 5.1 and 7.1 / ATMOS (Lossless)
  • + Passthrough of DTS-HD MA/HRA 5.1 and 7.1 (Lossless)
  • + Passthrough of DTS 96/24
  • + Multichannel 5.1/7.1 PCM audio output now supported.
  • + FLAC (lossless) and AAC Audio sources can now be decoded by Kodi and output at up to 24bit/192kHz
  • + The HardKernel HiFi Shield Plus has also been confirmed working with a recent LE 7.1 update. (S/PDIF untested)

An important warning for any potential upgraders or new purchasers.

Do not expect all your existing external USB dongles like DAC's, WiFi or RF to work on an old AML S905 v3.14 Linux Kernel, like you find in the C2. A lot of them do work straight out of the gate, and HardKernel do backport additional drivers from time to time.

EDIT: USB DVB Tuner drivers support has been backported from a very recent Linux Kernel if using the Media-Build edition of LE 7.1 Smile

LibreELEC does not provide comprehensive driver support for non working Hardware. Users would have to ask the manufacturer, HardKernel themselves on the C2 forums.

The easy C2 setup Mini Guide:

1) Download the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator App from HERE
2) Choose Odroid C2 > Local Image File > LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.0_Dec.img.gz (see link bottom of this post)
3) Choose your mSD card and "Write" it. Eject > Insert into the C2.
4) Make sure you select both SSH and SMB connect options on the setup screens when LE first runs.
5) If an Update is needed use an appropriate .tar update file, and from a PC, follow the instructions found HERE
6) PS. SSH login password is - le
7) Enjoy !

LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.1_Dec.tar
LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.1_Dec.img.gz

W.
Is this the next Raspberry Pi that we are waiting for?
Don't think so as same 3D MVC half-rez render limitation, although HD audio passthru should be possible.

Anyway, I just hope this triggers Pi foundation to announce RPi3.
Sounds very very promising...hopefully wrxtasy can start answering the details once his arrives.
(2016-02-03, 13:39)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]HEVC/H264/VC-1 hardware video decoding - no mention of 10bit but CNX have previously reported 10 bit playback support for S905 based kit. (Not sure about output)
Sounds like it will be based on the older S905 and not the newer S905X (previously known as S905M or S908), which if so it means no 10-bit output support.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/12/a...fications/

Guess those who want 10-bit color & HDR10 / Rec. 2020 HDR (10-bit HDR) support have to wait and hope for a newer ODROID-C2+ version to be released later with HDMI 2.0a
(2016-02-03, 17:31)RockerC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-03, 13:39)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]HEVC/H264/VC-1 hardware video decoding - no mention of 10bit but CNX have previously reported 10 bit playback support for S905 based kit. (Not sure about output)
Sounds like it will be based on the older S905 and not the newer S905X (previously known as S905M or S908), which if so means to 10-bit support.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/12/a...fications/

Guess those who want 10-bit color & HDR10 / Rec. 2020 HDR (10-bit HDR) support have to wait and hope for a newer ODROID-C2+ version to be released later with HDMI 2.0a

All s905 support 10bit decode
(2016-02-03, 17:38)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]All s905 support 10bit decode
Decode and output is not the same. The newer S905X features a integrated HDMI 2.0a transmitter which is required to output HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Rec. 2020 / BT.2020 (10-bit color per channel / 10 bpc)

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdmi-2-0a/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020
(2016-02-03, 17:40)RockerC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-02-03, 17:38)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]All s905 support 10bit decode
Decode and output is not the same.

Thats not what you said at first. You changed your post,but I understand what your saying now.
(2016-02-03, 17:41)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]Thats not what you said at first. You changed your post,but I understand what your saying now.
Point is that if you go out a buy a new UHD Alliance certified "Ultra HD" television and get Rec. 2020 HDR content for it, then the older S905 can not output that in its full color space.

I don't have a UHD Alliance certified "Ultra HD" television myself and will probabably not get one for a couple of years, but if I had one today then I would want to get video player hardware with the newer S905X SoC instead the older S905 if that was an option.

For ~$40 the ODROID-C2 will still be great value for the money, however I would still save up to buy a Nvidia Shield TV instead if I had bought a new UHD Alliance certified "Ultra HD" television, as I read that the Nvidia Shield TV firmware will be upgraded to support all that.
I think for many 10-bit HEVC decode, with 8-bit output, will be fine for conventional non-HDR, non-Rec2020 content. (If this exists)

If it is of any use the C2 thread in the ODRoid forums mentions that it is a new S905 with alpha blending bugs fixed. For $40 IF Kodi support for 10 bit decode (not output necessarily) is present then this could, be a very popular little board. Pity about the lack of 3D Frame Packed output (it seems), but if HD Audio happens, then this could be great.

Slightly concerned about the elderly kernel though. Do hope I can get recent DVB-T2 tuners to work on it if I buy one to play with. It looks to benchmark faster than the S805-based C1/C1+. Pity there isn't any USB 3.0 I/O - but for $40...

I don't think this will push the Pi Foundation to push a more powerful board out imminently. Think they have decided the $5 Pi Zero is a priority to get more computers into people's hands. Apparently they had a more powerful device in design, but switched to the Zero when they were advised the current Pi B+/Pi 2 B models were still a barrier to adoption in some areas. They can't make enough Zeroes to keep up with demand at the moment...

(Now the Pi Zero can also run in USB gadget mode - i.e. pretend to be a USB keyboard, mouse, ethernet adaptor, serial port, mass transfer device etc. - it has become even more useful for some applications.)
(2016-02-03, 18:13)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Slightly concerned about the elderly kernel though. Do hope I can get recent DVB-T2 tuners to work on it if I buy one to play with.
Been up to my neck in AML Kernel work this week and have found the required August T210v1/Geniatech T220 DVB-T2 specific patch required and carefully plugged it into a new C1 Kernel. I will post a new OE release in the C1(+) thread shortly. Smile

Learning a lot with this sort of Kernel - Sherlock Holmes sleuthing, and that should come in handy for the C2 and other AML S8xx and S9xx gear I have here.

Yes HD Audio passthrough, with the work done by Koying and WeTek should benefit all AML devices going forward !
Gotta love Open Source !
I think i've found something interesting about problems with MPEG2 (only for some files) stuttering and VC1 29.97fps little stuttering.

Using latest Kodi Nightly on Android:
- Disable amcodec
- Leave enabled the other two MediaCodec accelerations

Now:
- VC1 29.97fps videos seem smooth as they should be
- Problematics MPEG2 videos stutter a bit after start (or after a seek) for some seconds and then they will continue playing smooth

I know wrxtasy uses its box to watch TV. I can be interesting to see if TV continues to be accelerated using MediaCodec in latest Nightly and if it's deinterlaced properly.
In this case then this can be a nearly perfect solution.
I've found a little problem (still with Kodi Nightly on Android).
Passthrough works but at the start of the video there is a strange noise (bzzzz) for 1 second.

(I hadn't this problem with the same TV with C1 and OpenELEC)

If someone involved in Kodi knows if this is a Kodi fault or a C2' Android fault will be great Smile
you would get a better answer on the odroid forums for this question as only a select few have the c2 yet