Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multi X session (vt7 Kodi, vt8 lightdm login)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear All,

I'm trying to setup my system in order to have a Kodi fullscreen at startup and a secondary login shell on a different VT.
My system is non a "multi-seat", having a single keyboard/monitor set and is a Ubuntu 15.10 based system.

I spent a lot of time to search a solution without success because all online resources refer to old ways (without logind and multi-seat support).

Can you give me some hints to have a dual X-server sessions with a main full screen Kodi and a secondary login shell?

Thanks in advance,

luigi
Need more info regarding your video card(s) really, but what I have done is :-

Using Nvida dual head card

Set up separate X screens (0 & 1) using Nvidia X server settings.

Use Kodi's built in multi-monitor support (Settings -> system -> Video Output -> monitor [in my case DVI-I-3])

This puts Kodi on my plasma and my regular desktop on the other output (DVI-I-2).

It doesn't however give you a secondary login shell, although once kodi has started, it is possible to log out of the other X session and leave Kodi running on the other screen.

Currently, Kodi is started by placing a shortcut to /usr/bin/kodi into 'startup applications' but I don't see why you couldn't start it without having to login by placing a link to /usr/bin/kodi in /etc/rc.local.
Hi,

My system is based on Intel n3700 SoC with Intel graphic card.

I have only a TV attached using the HDMI cable.
My idea is to have a kodi in full screen mode already logged on Vt7 and when I need to navigate or manage the system, switching to vt8, having the usual login shell.

It's not properly a multi seat but in the past I used old style multi seat approach to configure the lightdm to have two x session at the same time.

I hope to have a solution to share with community.

Ciao

Luigi
Ah right, I'm with you now !!

Maybe this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=115296 will be of some help, particularly post#14
(2016-02-16, 21:31)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Ah right, I'm with you now !!

Maybe this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=115296 will be of some help, particularly post#14
No. This way doesn't work anymore. There changes in seat management after the 2014 (logind/loginctl and lightdm modified the behavior) that make these posts obsolete.

Ciao

Luigi
Necro incoming: comio, any luck finding a soluționa?

I got it working with systemd service, but sometimes lightdm just freezez or interferează with kodi's vt8 flickering while tring to restart. Lightdm, strânge stuff :/