Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LG 65UF675+Onkyo+Pi+Simplink?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have been pulling my hair for two days trying to figure out how to get CEC to work with my new TV. Before I had a Philips TV from 2009 and that worked perfectly with CEC.

Setup
LG 65UF675 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 -> Pi

Scenario 1
I activate Simplink in LG TV and RIHD in the Onkyo Receiver. When I power on the Pi I can see that CEC Pulse eight detects TX-SR608. It is possible to adjust volume up and down with LG remote on the TX-SR608. So the connection between receiver and TV should be ok.
It's not possible to use LG remote to browse menus in Kodi. The Pi is detected as a "HDD-Recorder" in the LG Simplink menu but fails to connect.

So what I tried was:
Connecting the Pi directly to the TV. CEC works without problem and I can browse kodi menu with LG remote.
If I then disconnect the HDMI cable and connect it to the reciever again everything is working fine .... until I power everything off and on again. Then I'm back at scenario 1.

I had the exact same cables and setup with my older Philips TV and CEC has been working for years without any issues.
I read alot about problems with LG Simplink, so sorry if someone posted similar issue in another thread.

Do anyone have an idea in how to solve this? Or is LG Simplink not fully compatible with CEC?

Thanks alot in advance.
Update: Got it half-way working. In the CEC adapter settings in Kodi I simply put in "1000" in Physical adress (TV connected to HDMI 1).
Now it works.. But when I set the TV in standby and start it up again it doesn't work. The workaround is to reboot the PI while TV is powered on, then it works again.

Any ideas of a workaround on this? Maybe some script that "refreshes" the CEC-adapter or restarts the service? I'm no koder.. just brainstorming Smile
Hi,

I did try after you posted. It worked once for me.

What happens now is when I wake up the TV from sleepmode it takes about 45sec before the Onkyo Receiver wakes up and sometimes it doesn't wake up at all. Dunno why it takes that long before the "wakeup" command is sent to it. With my 2009 Philips the AVR started the a few seconds after I started the TV. The remote starts to work if I go into CEC in kodi settings and set "physical adress" to 1000. But somehow after a reboot the physical adress is reset to 0 again.
Hi senz007,

I have a similar config:
RPi2B <HDMI> (input 5-Media player)Denon AVR-2313(output monitor1-ARC) <HDMI> (input 2-ARC)LG55UF860

I created the edid.dat file and did the change in config.
The AVR is named Home theatre (proposed by WebOS) and can see it in the list
I can control few functions by the Magic remote and a bit more with the virtual (screen) remote

I can see Home theatre (Kodi) as well but I can't control Kodi at all
I tried to ssh
Code:
cec-client -l
libCEC version: 3.0.1, git revision: 5e48ee8
, compiled on Sat Jan 23 19:43:30 UTC 2016 by [email protected] on Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.x86_64 (x86_64), features: P8_USB, P8_detect, 'RPi'
Found devices: 1

device:              1
com port:            RPI
vendor id:           2708
product id:          1001
firmware version:    1
type:                Raspberry Pi
It sees only the RPi.
With the command cec-client it output a lot of exchanges (the physical address). I am wandering if it stops or not when I stop the command cec-client.

Where are you in your searches? Did you succeed? Could you let me know?
I'd be interested to exchange more about LG TV (calibration, update, apps...) in PM

Edit:
More info
Code:
echo scan | cec-client -s -d 1
opening a connection to the CEC adapter...
requesting CEC bus information ...
CEC bus information
===================
device #0: TV
address:       0.0.0.0
active source: yes
vendor:        LG
osd string:    TV
CEC version:   1.3a
power status:  on
language:      eng

device #1: Recorder 1
address:       2.5.0.0
active source: no
vendor:        LG
osd string:    CECTester
CEC version:   1.3a
power status:  standby
language:      eng

device #5: Audio
address:       2.0.0.0
active source: no
vendor:        Denon
osd string:    AVR-2313
CEC version:   unknown
power status:  unknown
language:      ???

currently active source: TV (0)
Hi senz2007,

Did you fix the issue?

I found another guy with the same issue with LG TV in the webOS Nation forum.
Could you let us know?
I get an headace of this CEC as well!
Have a LG-TC -> Onkyo -> Kodi

It seems that LG-TV MUST be on HDMI 4.
At least that is what it often switches to. LG seems to prefer Kodi to be connected on HDMI 4, but I have mine on HDMI 1, because the Onkyo receiver is on that.
Sometimes LG does discover Kodi (mostly it does not) and then decides to switch to HDMI 4 where is no signal of course.
If this happens then Onkyo want to be smart and switches to TV/CD, which is NOT where I connected Kodi. This should be the GAME input.
If I try to get out of this, it is not possible. To only way is to turn everything off and hope it will work.

Damn CEC. Not a standard AT ALL!
Look closely at the HDMI ports on the TV, they may not all be labeled the same or support the same protocols.

My LG has 2 ports, but they are labeled differently and only one supports CEC.
A followup on this.
I have changed my Pi to a Nvidia Shield and the Receiver is now an Onkyo TX-NR656.

The CEC problems continues. When I turn off the TV the receiver and shield turns off. When I turn on the LG TV the receiver or nvidia shield won't turn on.
If I turn off the shield, the receiver will turn off but not the TV.

I have the benefit of testing other brands, one Philips and one Finlux and everything works as expected with CEC.

Conclusion:
Do not buy an LG TV today if CEC is important for you. If you make a quick search you will find that LG have issues connecting to other products via CEC manufactured by others than LG.
Bose etc have the same CEC compability issues.
Probably LG just want you to buy LG Stuff, like LG soundbar, LG Bluray player. This also known as "The Apple Mentality".

Well, if someone has a workaround I'm happy to hear it. I doubt that LG will make a new FW for their existing TVs that fixes this.

'
Just out of curiosity, why do people prefer to connect their playback devices to the TV HDMI port and use ARC to their AMP rather than connect their playback devices to the Amp HDMI ports and connect the AMP to the TV?

I'd have though ((playback devices )) <-> AMP <-> TV seems more logical than ((playback devices)) <-> TV <-> AMP especially so if the TV sound quality is not so good.

Guess it depends on capabilities of your AMP and/or your TV but if one connection method doesn't work for you, another connection method seems worthy of trying.
(2017-02-13, 16:51)skylarking Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiosity, why do people prefer to connect their playback devices to the TV HDMI port and use ARC to their AMP rather than connect their playback devices to the Amp HDMI ports and connect the AMP to the TV?

I'd have though ((playback devices )) <-> AMP <-> TV seems more logical than ((playback devices)) <-> TV <-> AMP especially so if the TV sound quality is not so good.

Guess it depends on capabilities of your AMP and/or your TV but if one connection method doesn't work for you, another connection method seems worthy of trying.

My setup is:
Nvidia shield -> To AMP -> TV .
This is how most people use it and it only requires one HDMI cable connected to the TV.

Or TV -> AMP -> Nvidia shield. Same thing Smile