Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Linux Kodi 16.0 Git:a5f3a99 Backgrounds when browsing files corrrupt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had this odd behavior in Translucency for a while whenever browsing files under a submenu, say, Music. The background image for '..' is wrong. Often it's the last background you would get from the previous ('..') list. These backgrounds come from 'fanart.jpg' files in the browsed directory and the poster -- 'folder.jpg' image -- tracks with the displayed background. It looks like it's some cached image that gets shown. The images below show the sequence of drilling down the tree and getting the wrong background for '..' Directories are artist/album/songs, so the first image is the artist directory, then the albums directory showing the first item (..) then the second highlighted.

watch gallery

Confluence uses an 'up directory' image for '..', but I like the idea of just showing the poster and background as if you had selected the '..' That way, the image wouldn't change upon selection. I'm pretty sure in some previous incarnation Transparency used to show the associated background from the main menu -- Music under Music, Movie under Movie -- when highlighting '..'; but the behavior changed.

Additionally, when moving down the list in a new directory to the first element (between 1 and 2 above), the background momentarily flashes to another image, then returns to the correct background for the list. Maybe some extra code running or a part of the above.

It works this way on all my boxes: Windows 7, OpenELEC, and Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS, so hopefully someone can duplicate it.
yup, i've noticed this myself as well a few times.
i was under the impression it also happened in confluence, indicating it's a bug in kodi rather then a skin issue.

i'll have another look at it...
I tried to duplicate in Confluence and could not. I'm a pretty lame Confluence user, though; since I discovered Tranparency! about 5 minutes after XBMC and never looked back.

Confluence has an appearance setting -- 'Show parent folder items', which when unchecked causes the '..' item to disappear completely. If this is Kodi code, when they installed it, maybe it broke Tranparency?
which kodi version and Transparency! version are you using?

here's the bug i saw in confluence, and i think it's the same/ related:

it incorrectly displays the artist thumb instead of the 'back' icon.
Kodi 16.0 Git:a5f3a99 Transparency! 9.1.2

Ah, I see this is not as intermittent as I thought. You need to drill into an album directory, then the back thumb is replaced by the artist thumb which is what I would want. Then going up a level makes the (..) thumb and background some garbage, but matching, set (I get ZZ Top a lot -- which is the last artist directory for me.) Up another directory (top) and the back thumb is correct, but the background in Tranparency! is wrong. Confluence shows a generic background so it gets this correct.

Once you've triggered the bug, it stays like that with the same background/icon set.

This is the same bug if you ask me. I leave it to you to determine if it is lifted code from Confluence which has a bug, or the underlying code in Kodi. The behavior is slightly different because Tranparency! uses different backgrounds which makes me think it's skin code.
Is there a link for the original Confluence pronlem? I may have a fix, but I'd like to review other discussions of the issue to make sure I'm testing all the cases. My original characterization of the problem was kind of bogus. It has to do with folder.jpg being present in the parent folder, so you get differing results depending on where you browse.
nope, there's no previous discussion afaik.
it's just an issue i once noticed myself.