Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Jarvis 16.0 problems black screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello everybody,
When I upgraded to 16.0 I got black screen problem:
Everytime I start KODI I have black screen, I must press Alt+enter to go in window mode and press it again to put in full screen mode.
It is not possible use KODI in this way,
I try to enable setting "full screen window" or something like that in video settings, and seems work better but in this way video are "scatter" and not fluent..

I know other people have this problem, but there is a solution?
I must come back to 15.2 if not..

(I use windows7 with KODI at startup automatically executed)

Thanks and have a nice Easter
What GPU any chance of a debug log (wiki) ?
My problem is about black screen every time I start KODI.. I don't think gpu and/or graphic card is important...
I did not have any problem with KODI 15.2 or before..
So Kodi starts when Windows boots? What if you launch Kodi after Windows starts?
I will have the same problem...
I have the same problem. I don't boot directly into kodi. I load windows 10 first and after some time I try to launch kodi. Then I get a black screen. If I get back to the desktop I see that there are 2 black kodi windows open in aero preview (the little boxes that appear when you hover the mouse pointer over an icon in the taskbar). After some alt-tabbing or windowed-fullscreen mode it works.

The solution is to run kodi in a full screen window instead of fullscreen. With that though it sometimes loses focus to windows. This happens with kodi 16 and 16.1RC. I have never had this kind of problem before.
I try to delete guisettings.xml. it seems work better but you lose theme settings and more, and when you re-set your theme etc..problem come back.
I really don't know ... Sad with full screen window enabled I see some "interference" in videos..is not good like before..
It is a really good media center but I really don't understand why these stupid problem born in a new version (than appears equal to before..)
(2016-03-28, 11:32)sempro Wrote: [ -> ]It is a really good media center but I really don't understand why these stupid problem born in a new version (than appears equal to before..)

That's why Derek asked you what GPU you are using and for a debug log, but you are apparently smarter and said that those things are not important, so don't expect much more help here.

Kodi 16 switched to using Directx 11, previous versions were using Directx 9... Kodi 16 is *supposed* to be backwards compatible with older cards, but as far as I know, that's only good to a certain extent. If you have an older card, it could be that hardware acceleration is not working or not supported any more, and in that case your only option would be to upgrade the GPU But again, since you don't want to provide that relevant info, don't expect much more help.

Cheers
TRJB
(2016-03-28, 18:04)therealjoeblow Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-28, 11:32)sempro Wrote: [ -> ]It is a really good media center but I really don't understand why these stupid problem born in a new version (than appears equal to before..)

That's why Derek asked you what GPU you are using and for a debug log, but you are apparently smarter and said that those things are not important, so don't expect much more help here.

Kodi 16 switched to using Directx 11, previous versions were using Directx 9... Kodi 16 is *supposed* to be backwards compatible with older cards, but as far as I know, that's only good to a certain extent. If you have an older card, it could be that hardware acceleration is not working or not supported any more, and in that case your only option would be to upgrade the GPU But again, since you don't want to provide that relevant info, don't expect much more help.

Cheers
TRJB

ok.. it is clear.. I will check gpu and about debug log when I have a bit of time.. Computer is quite old so I think Gpu is not so recent too..

thanks
This is my Gpu:
AMD Radeon HD 6310
Me and three friends of mine, have a Vivo PC VC60 by Asus. We all have the same problem and I can confirm you that Isengard version never showed this problem. It start with a white screen and an error window "Kodi is not responding" then it suddenly turns to black. You can hear that Kodi is running in the background if you press any key but nothing is displayed. If you simply click the Windows key and then click on the task it will return in the main window correctly. Our GPU is an Intel HD 4000 and OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Please don't hesitate to ask me other info to help you fix this problem.

Thanx in advance.

Luca
Hi Luke.Siren (hi everyone),
I lost much time yesterday evening to try to resolve...

A- tried to upgrade Ati Catalyst drivers but last version have 2 problems for me:
1. hdmi output does not work (some kind of incompatibility with realtek audio drivers..)
2. Kodi does not play video but only audio
So I restored previous drivers
B- tried Kodi 17 beta and I got error "uh oh can't load sqlite3.dll"
C- tried Kodi 16.1 RC2 or again Kodi 16 stable.. but always same problems:
1. problem1: black screen on startup, I must press ALT+Tab 2 times and sometime works. Sometimes I have problem like you Luke.Siren "white screen and an error window "Kodi is not responding" then it suddenly turns to black.. etc.."
2. if problem1 sometimes not appear.. I have troubles on playing videos: it happen more times with fast scenes but also in normal scenes. I see like an horizontal line in middle-high part of screen.. than line appear often for some second, it disturb video and "misaling" the video.

With 15.2 I did not have any kind of problem
At the moment I put 15.2 again.. I hope with 16.1 stable or futures 17 stable things will be better..

If I will have time and found some new patience I will put again Jarvis and try to make log (I must follow this guide, right? http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy)

Any possible suggestions would be appreciated.

Note:
OS is Win 7 (don't remember if is 32/64 bit),
GPU is Amd Radeon HD 6310,
2 GB Ram
don't remember other pc specs, I can check it tonight..
Hello everyone,
I've spent some weeks trying to resolve this problem but right now without success. I've tried the following:
- Update Intel HD 4000 drivers to the latest version
- Reinstalled OS from scratch
- Installed Kodi 16.0 from scratch
- Upgraded to 16.1 RC2
- Tried to delay Kodi startup (30 sec delay)

None of this steps have fixed the problem. Sad

The strange thing is that the problem happens only on the first startup. Closing the application and re open it never showed me the problem. There's still some magical 10% of the first run (Kodi link is in the automatic startup folder) that works flawlessly without the need to do ALT-TAB - ALT-TAB or ALT-ENTER - ALT-ENTER.
Isengard and every previous version (I use KODI/XBMC from the first Xbox version) never showed this problem so I assume that is something related to DX11 change.

To Sempro: the "misaling" problem you notice could be related to the VSync disabled. Try to enable the Vertical Sync Blank in System - Settings.
(2016-03-30, 12:17)Luke.Siren Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone,
I've spent some weeks trying to resolve this problem but right now without success. I've tried the following:
- Update Intel HD 4000 drivers to the latest version
- Reinstalled OS from scratch
- Installed Kodi 16.0 from scratch
- Upgraded to 16.1 RC2
- Tried to delay Kodi startup (30 sec delay)

None of this steps have fixed the problem. Sad

The strange thing is that the problem happens only on the first startup. Closing the application and re open it never showed me the problem. There's still some magical 10% of the first run (Kodi link is in the automatic startup folder) that works flawlessly without the need to do ALT-TAB - ALT-TAB or ALT-ENTER - ALT-ENTER.
Isengard and every previous version (I use KODI/XBMC from the first Xbox version) never showed this problem so I assume that is something related to DX11 change.

To Sempro: the "misaling" problem you notice could be related to the VSync disabled. Try to enable the Vertical Sync Blank in System - Settings.

Vertical sync is enabled, I already check it. By default is enabled, I didn't touch that.
There is not so much options to try I think..
I try to enable "fullscreen window mode" but no success.

Luke maybe you must try to make the log as they suggest to me above.. I will do that when I can
Yeah, you guys need to supply a debug log (wiki) to help identify your issues. If Kodi won't run well enough for you to enable debugging in the GUI, you will need to create an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) and use that to get your debug log. See this entry in the wiki for full details http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced#...ngs.xml.29
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5