Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: My Budget Media Server...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

An Acer Revo R3610 with 3TB of external storage. It has 4GB of ram with a 500GB internal HDD, which has my Music on it. The externals house the videos. Everything is shared with NFS and I have MySQL database too. It works really well and can serve up 1080p video to 6 Kodi boxes at once.
Simple and cool Nod
What is more it has plenty of USB ports to add more storage, although too many external drives would drive me barmy.
(2016-06-28, 08:37)MadsDK Wrote: [ -> ]Simple and cool Nod

Thanks.

(2016-06-28, 08:49)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]What is more it has plenty of USB ports to add more storage, although too many external drives would drive me barmy.

6 and a eSata port. I am currently running 4 HDDs (2 x 1TB & 2 x 500GB). Soon I am going to upgrade it to Ubuntu 16.04 Server (bye bye GUI), change the boot drive to a 32GB SSD and upgrade the externals (I have a 2TB ready to go in).
HP Microserver you can buy for 150$ based on Low voltage AMD 15W
there you have 4 hotswap case for HDD and 2 more SATA (one for DVD one for 2,5 DISK) so is possible pack in that case 5 normal HDD and 1x 2,5
and you have also 2 PCIE slot which you can use example for DVB tuner and make TV streaming server also Wink
(2016-08-06, 09:08)tubiel Wrote: [ -> ]SSD prefered with 3TB. Real speed.

Strange first post, but that's really wasted for media playback. Even very demanding 4K videos won't max out a 5400 RPM mechanical drive. It's like buying a sports car to only drive it at residential speeds (25 MPH in the US, but you get the point).
(2016-08-06, 10:28)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-06, 09:08)tubiel Wrote: [ -> ]SSD prefered with 3TB. Real speed.

Strange first post, but that's really wasted for media playback. Even very demanding 4K videos won't max out a 5400 RPM mechanical drive. It's like buying a sports car to only drive it at residential speeds (25 MPH in the US, but you get the point).

This.^^^ The wife and daughter are watching two different 720p videos in two different rooms at the moment. The disk I/O on the server is current maxing at around 700Kbps.
The PSU went pop today. Luckily I had a spare. I have decided that the constant load of 4 external HDDs got the better of it. So I am finally going to add a new 2TB HDD, giving me 3TB for Movies (1x2TB & 1x1TB),1.5TB (1x1TB & 1x500GB) for TV Shows, 250GB for Music and the system drive is going to be a 32GB SSD. The 2TB drive and the 250GB drives are 3.5" with their own PSUs and the 2 1TB and the 500GB drives are 2.5" and will be powered by a USB hub. That and an internal SSD should reduce the load on the external PSU of the PC.
(2016-05-18, 22:42)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]Image

An Acer Revo R3610 with 3TB of external storage. It has 4GB of ram with a 500GB internal HDD, which has my Music on it. The externals house the videos. Everything is shared with NFS and I have MySQL database too. It works really well and can serve up 1080p video to 6 Kodi boxes at once.

What OS are you using?
He says Ubuntu I think.
(2017-02-09, 02:06)SilverBlade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-18, 22:42)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]Image

What OS are you using?

Xubuntu 16.04.1 X64. I went to Xubuntu because I run that on all my other machines and decided that it would be better to have a common UI to make it easier for the wife and kids to use should they be forced to. If you don't want a UI then Ubuntu Server would be the best choice. If it were just me then that is what I would run as I do everything over SSH. If you do want a UI then I have been playing with Bodhi Linux and Xubuntu Core, which are as about as minimal as they come, because ideally I would like to get a 16GB SSD to reduce costs.
I have just scored a 240GB SSD for free. I will replace the internal HDD with this, which will speed up boot times and reduce power consumption. I plan to partition it giving the OS 16GB, I can easily install Xubuntu Core in 10GB, so 16 will be more than enough. The internal HDD currently houses my Music, which is currently about 50GB, so I should have enough space for a few years to come.
Unfortunately the SSD was DOA. It was being sent by a guy I know in Sweden and I think either the Swedish postal service or the Royal Mail had been using it as football. Anyway I am now using a 2TB for my first Movies drive, another 1TB drive for a second movies drive and a 1TB for TV shows.

I was using ethernet over mains adaptors to network the house, but since I have upgraded to a Gigabit router I have now installed a Belkin 5 port Gigabit switch behind my TV which connects the server, my RPI2 and my retro games rig to the router and I am installing a Cisco Systems Catalyst 2960 8 port switch in the loft to feed into the RPI Model Bs I have in each bedroom. I will also put a Netgear N150 wireless access point in the loft to give better wifi coverage to the upper story of the house.

The Cisco switch also has a fibre channel port and I have scored a couple of fibre channel cards, so my plan is to use an old Acer Aspire X3200 as a proxy/OwnCloud server, once I get my head around fibre channel.

All of the above is all being done using kit that was heading for the skip just because it was old.
I finally said goodbye to my powerline adaptors today. They were becoming a pain. My neighbours have started using them and we share a common power supply. So my network traffic was bouncing off theirs. In the end I decided to go for flat cat 6 ethernet surface mounted along the skirting boards from my router upstairs to the Cisco Catalyst switch then out to each room. On the powerlines I was getting, on an RPI model B, 44 Mbps (tested with iperf) from the media server, if I was lucky. I now get 75 Mbps. I have just tested it with my desktop PC streaming a 1080p video and my RPI 2 also streaming a 1080p video and the RPI B in my bedroom was still getting 75 Mbps when tested with iperf.
Yep, nothing beats a real ethernet cable.
Pages: 1 2 3