Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 7.1 audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been trying various methods (in settings) to achieve 7.1 (Denon 7.1 AVR), but to no avail. I am just curious if anyone here has accomplished this, or does openelec / raspberry pi3 not produce 7.1, only 5.1.

When I go to Audio settings in system (By the way this is on Aeon Nox 5 Silvo mod skin), and change speaker configuration from 2.0 to 7.1, I get multi-channel sound. When I leave it at 2.0, I get dolby digital, and my reciever says dolby digital and *pcm digital*.
It's fine the way it is, but if 7.1 is possible I have the speakers and AVR to achieve this.
Thanks.
Yes, set number of channels to 7.1. I think there is also an option to decode 8 channels from DTSHD in system/audio settings.

You'll need to play a 7.1 file to test this - TrueHD and DTS-HD are often 7.1 files (but not always). There are sample files here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
(2016-06-01, 20:25)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, set number of channels to 7.1. I think there is also an option to decode 8 channels from DTSHD in system/audio settings.

You'll need to play a 7.1 file to test this - TrueHD and DTS-HD are often 7.1 files (but not always). There are sample files here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

I set the # of channels to 7.1, but got "multichannel" instead of surround sound. I guess I can live with 5.1. And how do I test these sample files on a raspberry pi?
Apppreciate your responding.
(2016-06-01, 20:59)jappel2 Wrote: [ -> ]I set the # of channels to 7.1, but got "multichannel" instead of surround sound. I guess I can live with 5.1. And how do I test these sample files on a raspberry pi?

I don't really understand the issue? 7.1 is multichannel?
I assume you have 8 speakers? Download a speaker test file and play it with kodi. Does each speaker play the sounds indicated?
(2016-06-01, 22:23)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-01, 20:59)jappel2 Wrote: [ -> ]I set the # of channels to 7.1, but got "multichannel" instead of surround sound. I guess I can live with 5.1. And how do I test these sample files on a raspberry pi?

I assume you have 8 speakers? Download a speaker test file and play it with kodi. Does each speaker play the sounds indicated?

I'll work on it tonite when I get home from work.
(2016-06-01, 23:10)jappel2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-06-01, 22:23)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]

I'll work on it tonite when I get home from work.

Ok, here's what I mean...... Under system/audio, when I put speaker config to 2.0, enable stereo upmix, passthrough etc, my receiver says dolby dig + dolby surround (icons with a D and S), and it is. The dialogue comes out center channel, and effects come out of surround sound speaker. ( I do have 7.1 with all the speaker.). But this is 5.1 and it sounds great. However, when I change speaker config to 7.1, receiver says 7.1 multichannel. and IT IS multichannel sound, meaning dialogue, everything comes out of every speaker simultaneously. It isn't surround sound. My Denon has a screen display that tells me what it is outputting. e.g. watching TV it says (for a few seconds) dolby digital+dolby surround. When I turn on the raspberry pi, it says Media Player 7.1 multichannel sound. When I go back to channel config and change 7.1 to 2.0, Denon display says dolby surround.
Sorry for being long-winded, but wanted to get it all out.
Here are the Kodi settings which work for 7.1 via LPCM to my Denon:
Number of channels: 7.1
Passthrough: Disabled
8 channel decode: Enabled

I'm doing this from memory and I can't remember the exact names of the settings in the stable version of Kodi. Also, I'm using Milhouse testbuilds now and I can't find the setting for 8 channel decoding in Estuary to use that.
(2016-06-03, 02:48)doug Wrote: [ -> ]I'm doing this from memory and I can't remember the exact names of the settings in the stable version of Kodi. Also, I'm using Milhouse testbuilds now and I can't find the setting for 8 channel decoding in Estuary to use that.

I think on Jarvis it is a settings option. On nightly/Krypton it is automatic (enabled on Pi2/Pi3 and disabled on Pi1).
Thanks.

@jappel2. I'd start problem solving it by running your Denon speaker test program to see if it's is playing the sounds to each discrete speaker or "broadcasting" them to all. Just to rule out the Pi or your media.

If that works, download or use a test file that plays each speaker individually. I've used Digital Video Essentials before. There are others. That will rule out the media from being the issue.
(2016-06-03, 15:43)doug Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks.

@jappel2. I'd start problem solving it by running your Denon speaker test program to see if it's is playing the sounds to each discrete speaker or "broadcasting" them to all. Just to rule out the Pi or your media.

If that works, download or use a test file that plays each speaker individually. I've used Digital Video Essentials before. There are others. That will rule out the media from being the issue.

I really appreciate both of your inputs. I tested the Denon speaker test and every speaker works as it's supposed to.
I took popcorn's advice and tested with the Kodi audio samples.
All seems to be fine. The receiver says multi channel 7.1, but the Dredd 7.1 test was awesome. Dialogue came out of front channel, and sound effects came out of the rest.
I set up audio config as such:
speaker config 7.1
stereo upmix disabled
8 channel enabled
passthrough enabled.
It played the test samples fine, all sounds came out of their respective speakers. I guess the "multichannel" word bothered me. (and i'm not one to "have" to see dts, etc on the receiver face, I don't care what it says as long as it's playing as it should.

Again, thanks.
disable passthrough
(2016-06-03, 17:34)doug Wrote: [ -> ]disable passthrough

Ok, why?
Passthrough only supports 6 channel audio on Pi.
If you have 8 speakers you are better off disabling passthrough and outputting 7.1 channel PCM.
(2016-06-03, 18:54)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Passthrough only supports 6 channel audio on Pi.
If you have 8 speakers you are better off disabling passthrough and outputting 7.1 channel PCM.

So, just disabling passthrough will automatically produce pcm?
Forgive me, I don't know everything.
According to Kodi's audio quickstart guide it says to :
stereo upmix disable
passthrough enable
DD AC3 receiver enable
DD transcoding disable
DTS enable
True HD enable
DTS HD receciver enable

I'll do what you suggest, I'm just letting you how I got my settings.
(2016-06-03, 20:08)jappel2 Wrote: [ -> ]So, just disabling passthrough will automatically produce pcm?

Yes. Technically Kodi produces PCM audio by default, unless you have enabled passthrough.
But enabling passthrough limits the audio to 6 channels maximum on the Pi, so if you want 8 channel audio leave it disabled.
Pages: 1 2