Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Missing PVR clients in Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Edit: Visit this post for the solution.

Hi!

New user here with what I hope isn't too dumb of a question and hoping for a solution!

I love Kodi, it's an amazingly versatile program!

I need to find a fix for missing PVR clients in Kodi on a box my husband purchased.
I won't mention the box brand, but it rhymes with The Worlds Best Box.

The box we have doesn't appear to have any PVR clients installed; when I activate TV, it searches for them and says it can't find any.

I've asked their support folks, but they give me the text equivalent of a blank stare and say they've never heard such a thing.
I have done Google searches until my eyes bleed, but my googlefu has failed me.

I'm using NextPVR as the back end and would love to be able to use Kodi to watch recorded OTA broadcasts.
Is there a way to install the NextPVR add-in manually?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-MH
Do you actually expect an answer ?

You are missing the PVR client addons on some unkonwn build on some unknown OS on some unknown device. The PVR addons should be built in repository for your OS/platform/device. On Ubuntu it would the kodi-pvr-nextpvr package for example. In OpenELEC or LibreELEC you have PVR clients in their respective addon repositories for OE/LE.
(2016-06-17, 21:33)faugusztin Wrote: [ -> ]Do you actually expect an answer ?

You are missing the PVR client addons on some unkonwn build on some unknown OS on some unknown device. The PVR addons should be built in repository for your OS/platform/device. On Ubuntu it would the kodi-pvr-nextpvr package for example. In OpenELEC or LibreELEC you have PVR clients in their respective addon repositories for OE/LE.

Yeah, I kinda did. If it's an addon, it should be addable.

Wow.

"Hi MarchHare, welcome to the forum, we're glad you like Kodi and hope you get the problem solved.
If you could provide a little more information on your setup, we might be able to point you in the right direction."

Well, I was hoping for some help, maybe I'm in the wrong place.
I thought this was a Kodi support forum.

So the answer I'm getting is RTFM.

I guess I'll keep looking.

-MH
This isn't a support forum per say, it's a community forum for people using Kodi. But you've provided us so little information that we can't help you. The first challenge is that if you bought the box somewhere, they may have done something strange with Kodi and not included the PVR clients. And since you won't tell us the vendor, I can't even do a Google search to figure out if that's true. And since we don't know what OS the box is running, we don't know how to help you. If you download Kodi from http://kodi.tv and install it, then the PVR clients are included. So my recommendation would be to download Kodi from the official web site and see if you can install it on that box. Better yet, return the box, get a regular computer of some sort (there's lots of information on this site about supported hardware) and install Kodi yourself. Then we can probably help you.
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I understand that this isn't a technical support forum, but a slightly nicer welcome for a new member -might- be a nice thing.

The vendor is: The Worlds Best Box

I have Kodi running on three tablets and a computer at home.
I have NextPVR running on another computer connected to an OTA capture device which records shows for my husband and son.
All of the devices with Kodi on them can play the recorded shows as well as watch live TV through the NextPVR server.

I was hoping for a -little- direction on finding a resource for the add-in for an android based box.

Thanks for the help guys!

-MH
so, an android based worlds best box, with unknown tech specs (are there any on their website or am I blind?), most likely loaded with unknown kodi build ?

if you are using official kodi build, the add-on is right there in addons -> install from repository (or pre-installed, depends on the kodi version used). if not - it is not in our control, you should ask the vendor Smile
stefansaraev - Correct. (Regarding unknown build.)

MarchHare, NextPVR is meant to come with standard builds of Kodi, from information I have found online. To get it, you need to either install a vanilla build of Kodi which includes it, or add something which will work in its' place. Please note that this device is one of the ones mentioned in Kodi news as killing Kodi, for what it does to the project.

From reading the NextPVR site, it looks like you can try X-NEWA or simply reinstall with a supported Kodi build. If you really want to cut corners, perhaps transplant the addon from another (compatible) system.

On another note... please do not stir drama with other members of this forum, if you do not provide enough information for people to help you, they can only guess. Help us, to help you.
I was just hoping for a little direction on whether it can be done; loading the addons into a Kodi installation.

If it can't, just let me know and I'll stop bothering you and find another solution.

I wasn't trying to cause any drama, I just wanted to find out if there was a solution and got the answers I got.
When an obviously new member asks a question and immediately gets jumped on, it's not the new member who is trying to cause drama.

I'll be leaving now.

Thanks.
As you can see in the source code of the PVR addon, it has some binary parts (src folder) :
https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.nextpvr
That means the addon is supposed to come from a repository provided by your Kodi build provider (LibreELEC/OpeneELEC repositories for example) or preinstalled.
if the addon is not already installed (it is supposed to bundled with your installation, on android) - you probably can't install it, at all, even if you manage to get a .zip somewhere. in past 2 years, pvr api was changed at least 10 times, so pvr addons are very "kodi version specific".

EDIT: and btw, you are not jumped on. but we have some (written) rules there, at least show us a debug log, that increases the chance of getting helped
@kodi Forum: I can totally understand now, why these crippled kodi boxes do so much harm to this community, this is a perfect example.

@MarchHare: I would return that box as long as you can, you will probably not be happy with it. Depending on what you want, a Raspberry Pi3 running LibreELEC with activated tvheadend service and client + tv usb dongle could get you going for about 120$
Hi, just bought an android box from ebay and will provide specs on it below if anyone can give me advice as the pvr clients are also missing from mine but I am not a technical person so most likely something I am doing wrong or not looking at. Please help. Below box name and specifications.

Q Box 2+16G 4K Smart TV Box Android5.1 Quad Core KODI 16.0 Fully Loaded+Keyboard

Hardware Specification
CPU S905 Quad-core cortex-A53frequency: 2.0G
GPU Mali-450 5-Core GPU
FLASH 16GB EMMC
SDRAM 2GB DDR3
Power Supply Specifications
Power Supply DC 5V/2A
Power Indicator (LED) Power ON: Blue/Green
Main Features
OS Android5.1
KODI 16.0
WIFI 2.4G+5G
Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
3D Hardware 3D graphics acceleration
Support Decoder format HD MPEG1/2/4,H.264, HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 ,RealVideo8/9/10
Support Media format Avi/Rm/Rmvb/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/wmv/asf/flv/dat/mpg/mpeg
Support Music format MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
Support Photo format HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
USB host 2 High speed USB 2.0,support U DISK and USB HDD
Card reader SD/SDHC/MMC cards
HDD file system FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
Support Subtitle SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
High Definition video output SD/HD max.1920x1080 pixel
OSD type of languages English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc multilateral languages
LAN Ethernet:Gigabit 10/100M/1000M, standard RJ-45
Wireless Built in WiFi
Mouse/ Keyboard Support mouse and keyboard via USB;Support 2.4GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4GHz USB dongle
HDMI HDMI 2.0 up to 4k2k Output
4K2k hd decoding 4k2k H.265 Hardware Video Decode and 4k2k Output
1080P Support
AV Support
Dolby Support
3G Support
SPDIF/IEC958 Coaxial
Software Specifications
Network Function Skype chatting,Picasa,Youtube,Flicker,Facebook,Online movies,etc
Other feature Free Internet searching,thousands
How did you install kodi on it?
Hi Nickr, I did not install it, a technician at my husband work did all for us but has since advised me to install DaHenchmen Kodi and has provided step by step instructions but am cautious now as all else works perfectly except I wanted to add TV on my main menu with the ability to record live tv and followed steps to do this but could not find pvr simple client to install and that's where I have been at since. Sorry technician is looking into the issue that I cannot find pvr simple client but looking for advice on my own as need to get this right on my own as well.
Pages: 1 2