Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Replacing WMC with Kodi and Windows 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As they say I‘m new in these parts.

I hope this is the right thread or close to it.

I have a problem. I have Windows 7 and I am using Windows Media Center (WMC) to watch shows and record shows to watch at a later time. I will be using Windows 10 by late July. As you may know Windows 10 does not support WMC. I was thinking that I could use Kodi as a replacement for WMC.

So what do I need to do to replace WMC with Kodi?

Note: I use an outside antenna and I am not on cable or satellite.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
An hdhomerun connect or extend would be the easiest thing for you to get up and running in kodi. They have native Pvr add-on as well as am official release from the manufacturer Silicondust

Sent from my XT1254
Well I think there is a thread around here some where with people using Windows 10 with media center. Some hacks involved I am sure
I think this is the official forum for getting WMC on Windows 10? http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads...ternatives

I'd suggest staying at Windows 7 on your WMC PC if at all possible... Windows 7 will continue to get updates for years (January 14, 2020). ServerWMC runs on the WMC PC and allows KODI clients to view live tv and recordings. If you really need to upgrade, it might be worth getting ServerWMC and Kodi all set up now before you attempt the upgrade so you are familiar with how it works.

I'm not familiar with the native Kodi PVR solutions. As far a I knew, a backend server PVR was required. There are others which will run on Windows 10 but i'm not familiar with them.
Install Linux and Mythtv.

KODi is NOT a PVR solution. It at best a front end to a PVR backend.
Thank you for your posts.

Please go to the following address: http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

I just found this post. I believe it may help me. What do you think?

bry- Thank you for your post. I really do not understand your post. I will do some homework so as to understand your post. Please see the above address.

skarragallgher and sbthomas—Thank you for your posts. I believe trying to keep WMC on Windows 10 is where monsters be. It is a hack (at least for now) that I do not wish to perform. Please see the above address.

Keeping WMC and Windows 7 may be O.K. for now but in the future Microsoft will make it difficult to keep WMC/W7 as a functioning couple. Microsoft will be treating WMC/W7 as something they do not want to support. Better to download W10 while it is free and at the sometime learn how to use Kodi.

Nickr—Thank you for your post. Installing Linux is a nonstarter—too much of a learning curve. Please see the above address.
So the very beginning of the page says that Kodi will allow you to watch live/recorded TV by using an existing PVR backend. As far as I know, Kodi will not do PVR by itself. From the wiki (and the alternative guide links provided) it seems the options for Windows are NextPVR or MediaPortal. Keep in mind both of the tutorial links were written in 2013 and much has likely changed since then. Have fun!