Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is True Gapless Sound Possible with Flac Files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Running Kodi 16.1 on OpenELEC Ver. 6.95.3 7.0 (kernel:Linux 4.4.8) on RPi3. Music music flac data files on NAS served by minimserver and using BubbleUPnP control point on Samsung S6 and using the gapless "tweak". Even so I am finding it impossible to play a couple of classical music works without gaps. The usual problem is in cases where the playing moves to next data file between recit. and aria which reslts in a gap whereas the music is continuous. The gap rather spoils the mood!!!

These tracks works play flawlessly on Linn DS renders but I have not been able to succeed with any current version of Kodi, be it Kodi on Raspbian, OMSC or openELEC.

I have read many many threads but most are of the style "works ok here" which doesn't help and even brings into question whether they are testing the same problem.

Is there anybody here who understands the subject and can explain why I have this problem and confirm that I should be able to get this setup to work.
Many thanks,
Budgie
Does setting buffermode=1 help?
http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.xml
Hi popcornmix and thanks for the reply.
I have added the following in advancedsettings.xml file:-

Code:
<advancedsettings>
           <buffermode>1</buffermode>
<advancedsettings>

Rebooted and tried out difficult tracks. Sadly no joy. Seems gap is just the same.
(2016-07-19, 01:10)Budgie Wrote: [ -> ]Hi popcornmix and thanks for the reply.
I have added the following in advancedsettings.xml file:-

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<advancedsettings>

Rebooted and tried out difficult tracks. Sadly no joy. Seems gap is just the same.

Needs to be:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<network>
</network>
</advancedsettings>
Before I edit the advancedxml file, just wondering about the 'gapless "tweak"' ?
(2016-07-19, 08:01)dWooluf Wrote: [ -> ]Before I edit the advancedxml file, just wondering about the 'gapless "tweak"' ?

I don't know - what is it?
[snip]
Needs to be:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<network>
</network>
</advancedsettings>
[/quote]
Thanks. I have edited the file and rebooted but still no joy. Grateful for your help and sorry to be so ignorant. If you have any other advice please tell me what to try next.

The UPnP "Tweak" is an option in BubbleUPnP which I run on Android phone as a control point. I am still trying to find out more and will report as soon as I do.
If you post a debug log (wiki) we can confirm the buffermode setting is being accepted.

Can you try to determine if it's a UPnP issue?
E.g. try playing some audio from either a standard network hare (e.g. SMB, NFS). Or copy the files to Pi (either sdcard or USB stick). Do they play gaplessly from there?
In Audio Output whar is Output Configuration set to? normally this needs to be set to Optimised for gapless.
(2016-07-19, 14:33)Budgie Wrote: [ -> ][The UPnP "Tweak" is an option in BubbleUPnP which I run on Android phone as a control point. I am still trying to find out more and will report as soon as I do.

Ok, thanks. I thought it might be a Kodi tweak I hadn't heard of. I run BubbleUPnP on Android without setting that option. If I use foobar2000 as a UPnP server I get gapless playback. Not when I use Kodi. That being said, BubbleUPnP and the upnp server component of foobar2000 are by the same developer, so I guess they're well-tested and optimised for each other. It's even worse when I use Yatse and a bluetooth headset. I get that annoying Bluetooth tone that sounds like a rotary dial between every track.
(2016-07-19, 15:28)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]If you post a debug log (wiki) we can confirm the buffermode setting is being accepted.

Can you try to determine if it's a UPnP issue?
E.g. try playing some audio from either a standard network hare (e.g. SMB, NFS). Or copy the files to Pi (either sdcard or USB stick). Do they play gaplessly from there?

Understood. I shall need some time to try and get these issued addressed and will post with logs in due course.
I am also checking all the other components but I can confirm that with minimserver on NAS, bubbleUPnP on android as control point and Linn SneakyDS as renderer all is well and there are no gaps.

Back soon,
Budgie
(2016-07-19, 15:38)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]In Audio Output whar is Output Configuration set to? normally this needs to be set to Optimised for gapless.
That sounds sensible but in my settings Audio Output does not have that option, only Audio output device, Number of channels, Keep audio device alive, Enable audio DSP processing, Play GUI sounds and Reset. Where should I look for the option you suggest please?
Make sure settings level is set to Advanced.
Ok. Scratch what I said before about the Kodi uPnP server. I just tested it on Chick Corea's "My Spanish Heart" in FLAC and it was gapless. There is no audible gap between track 1 and track 2 and that is how it played. This was using BubbleUPnP as the control point and renderer. LibreElec 6.03 on a Pi2. Audio is Optimized".
(2016-07-20, 10:45)dWooluf Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. Scratch what I said before about the Kodi uPnP server. I just tested it on Chick Corea's "My Spanish Heart" in FLAC and it was gapless. There is no audible gap between track 1 and track 2 and that is how it played. This was using BubbleUPnP as the control point and renderer. LibreElec 6.03 on a Pi2. Audio is Optimized".
Hi and thanks for the info. I am using minimserver on NAS as the server to serve flac files. BubbleUPnP as control point with Tweak for gapless set on and openELEC version as above with Advanced Settings for Audio Optimized. ( I must check out the differences between openELEc and LibreElec). Even so there is still an unacceptable gap. I am advised however that "Under standard UPnP, both (and only) the renderer and the controller app need to support gapless (specifically the SetNextAVTransportURI action, as specified by UPnP)" so I shall concentrate on openELEC for now. Please advise if you have more info.
Thanks again,
Budgie
Pages: 1 2