Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Am I doing this right?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Rasp2 that I've loaded Openelec v6.0.3 on. I also have a USB disk with movies I have copied from my DVDs (so the DVDs are now "backups") and that disk is plugged into a separately powered USB hub. I had a heck of a time getting Openelec to "see" the USB drive. The only way I was able to eventually do it was to create a symbolic link from /storage/video to the mount-point of the USB disk.

BUT, and this is what I'm not understanding, I'm not getting fan-art and other icons pulled down automatically so that the thumbnail view has poster-like images (hope that makes sense). So I'm wondering if what I did with the USB drive is affecting this ability? HOW should I have done it?

I'm about to add another media-center on a Rasp3 and want to make sure I get the thumbnails on that one.

Pointers, suggestions, URLs, etc. welcome.

Bill W
I'd make sure you can see the drive properly first. If you go to videos > add source > browse you should find it via root filesystem > media.
Once you've set your sources correctly you then need to 'set content'. At that point, when you've told kodi that a folder contains eg movies, it will (should!) scan the folder and create fanart etc. It sounds like you're in a file view at the moment - which means you've set a source but not set content, so no scan has been done.
If that's the case then have a read around in the wiki - there are guides for creating a library there that are better than anything I'd write here.
(2016-07-21, 19:21)wweissborn Wrote: [ -> ]The only way I was able to eventually do it was to create a symbolic link from /storage/video to the mount-point of the USB disk.
Why didn't you just add the mount point as a source?

(2016-07-21, 19:21)wweissborn Wrote: [ -> ]BUT, and this is what I'm not understanding, I'm not getting fan-art and other icons pulled down automatically so that the thumbnail view has poster-like images (hope that makes sense). So I'm wondering if what I did with the USB drive is affecting this ability? HOW should I have done it?

I'm about to add another media-center on a Rasp3 and want to make sure I get the thumbnails on that one.

Pointers, suggestions, URLs, etc. welcome.

Bill W

Presumably you're just accessing the USB disk in Files mode, and haven't added a source, set the content on the source, then scanned your sources into the Library. The thumbnails and fanart will be added as your content is scanned into the Library.
(2016-07-21, 21:14)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Why didn't you just add the mount point as a source?

Because I could then never get the USB disk to be shared out via samba so I could copy the DVDs directly. In other words, it was a bit of a hack.

Hmmmm, set source and then set content, eh? I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks!

Bill W
(2016-07-21, 21:38)wweissborn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-21, 21:14)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Why didn't you just add the mount point as a source?

Because I could then never get the USB disk to be shared out via samba so I could copy the DVDs directly. In other words, it was a bit of a hack.

Hmmmm, set source and then set content, eh? I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks!

Bill W
You need to make a samba.conf file to do that.
If you stick the pi's IP address in windows explorer (eg\\192.168.1.xx or whatever) and look in 'Configfiles' you'll see samba.conf.sample. Open it in a text editor (notepad++ works), add the following:

[USB Drives]
path = /media
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
root preexec = mkdir -p /media

Save as samba.conf > reboot. As if by magic...