Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Export your Kodi collection to csv file for further purpose (Youtube video)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
I've been searching for a way to create an overview of my movies and tvshows but did not find a fast and simple one.

After some research I was able to browse the .db file with simple sql and create a csv file. From here it was easy to generate a excel document of my collection.

I created a youtube video. Probably something that can come in handy for you guys.

Exporting the db results in xml which might be easier to use then the db...

And i will never understand why people are doing youtube videos instead of writing a HowTo with words (too old school?).
Along these lines, I think it would be cool to be able to print out a magazine style catalogue of my local movies. Each page would have, say, 2 movies, with a synopsis, a poster, ratings etc and a barcode. You could flick through the catalogue and decide what to watch, then scan the barcode on your phone, which would contain a URL to send the JSON-RPC code to the Kodi machine to play that movie.

Sometimes we have visitors around. They want to watch a movie. I have hundreds of them, would be cool to give them a catalogue and say "choose one while we have a beer and I cook dinner" rather than sending them to the media room on their own.

Kinda retro I know, but it would be a good coffee table item.

Just need the time and a bit more knowledge of pdf construction and scripting.
I normally just give them an ipad with the kodi remote installed for choosing a movie - but yeah ... Should be doable by crafting a webfrontend which does all this incl. The barcode generation and then print that website i guess
(2016-08-10, 07:18)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Exporting the db results in xml which might be easier to use then the db...

And i will never understand why people are doing youtube videos instead of writing a HowTo with words (too old school?).

The video was not intended to be for kodi forum exclusive. That's why I decided to make a video.

Can you provide a link for exporting the db results in xml?
(2016-08-10, 07:52)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Along these lines, I think it would be cool to be able to print out a magazine style catalogue of my local movies. Each page would have, say, 2 movies, with a synopsis, a poster, ratings etc and a barcode. You could flick through the catalogue and decide what to watch, then scan the barcode on your phone, which would contain a URL to send the JSON-RPC code to the Kodi machine to play that movie.

Sometimes we have visitors around. They want to watch a movie. I have hundreds of them, would be cool to give them a catalogue and say "choose one while we have a beer and I cook dinner" rather than sending them to the media room on their own.

Kinda retro I know, but it would be a good coffee table item.

Just need the time and a bit more knowledge of pdf construction and scripting.

I was able to modify a Python script I put together for someone else on the forum:

I have not tested it and I have not converted runtime either. I am also lacking in HTML/CSS so the layout could use some work. It should work with Python 2.7 and it requires PyQRCode to generate the QR code.

It gets the information via JSON-RPC, saves the HTML, and exports the QR codes in the directory the script is run in. Feel free to take a look at the code and let me know if you have any questions.

code gist: https://gist.github.com/curti/b54c541883...f44d6880b3
Though I like the idea very much, this would make an enormous coffeetablebook Smile

Having the db as Excel file would be great too. This way you could send your collection to anyone and let them allready choose what to watch.
(2016-08-10, 18:57)nomansland008 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-10, 07:18)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Exporting the db results in xml which might be easier to use then the db...

The video was not intended to be for kodi forum exclusive. That's why I decided to make a video.

Export/import_library (wiki)
(2016-08-11, 07:27)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-10, 18:57)nomansland008 Wrote: [ -> ]

Export/import_library (wiki)

Thanks. But at the end of the day I like the excel overview more. I think it's easier to read and you are able to filter, etc.