Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Feature Request - Internal Demuxer (Faster Channel Change Speed)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Krusty & Scarecrow -

First off, thanks for creating what, in my opinion, is the best PVR solution for Kodi - especially for US Cable TV Users. The ease of setup along with the features it supports is second to none. From the series recording robustness (i.e. being actually able to schedule new/rerun episodes), to the ease of importing channel icons (via MyChannelLogos). Its a breeze to get going...

Anyways - if there was one "gripe" I would have with pvr.wmc/serverWMC it would be the channel change speed. I've been doing some research within the forums, and it appears that the channel change speed is significantly affected by whether the PVR add-on uses its own internal demuxer vs. the Kodi demuxer:

I went ahead and put this to the test by setting up mythTV and TVHeadend (which add-ons have their own internal demuxer), and wow - what a difference it makes. My channel changes went from 5-6 seconds with pvr.wmc to 1-2 seconds with mythTV or TVHeadend.

While this is by no means a deal-breaker for me, it would make the user experience top-notch.

Would it be possible to implement an internal demuxer for the pvr.wmc add-on?

Thanks for considering it!!!!
I'm not 100% convinced we'd achieve the same channel changing speed as other pvr solutions if we implemented this, as we have different overhead that other solutions, but (for reasons I don't really understand) I know it is supposed to help significantly with channel speed. Unfortunately adding it is some pretty heavy lifting that so far none of us has wanted to take on. Pvr.wmc is open source and I'd be happy to help anyone who wants to add this feature, so if you aren't a coder sign up you coder friends.
Unfortunately, I don't have the coding expertise to take this on (just a lowly end user). Hopefully someone will see this post and be up to the challenge to volunteer to incorporate the internal demuxer into the addon.

Thanks for the response, Krusty!
who should I talk to?

Jon Steiner, NYC
Assuming you are inquiring about contributing to pvr.wmc code it's right here:
pvr.wmc
Feel free to PM me if you have questions.