Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple Remote doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I Initially posted in the thread Mac OS X - Apple Remote Quits Responding, but since my issue appear to be specific to Kodi 17 I'm creating a new thread.

Hardware:
Mac Mini - Mid 2010 - 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB - 8GB RAM

Software:
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G31)
Nvidia Web Drivers (to fix horizontal tearing for 320M)
Kodi 17.0-BETA1 Git:20160813-004b7d9 (all 17.x builds tested as of Aug 14)

Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/RWif6NpE

Issue:
I'm having issues getting the Apple remote to work with the Kodi 17, I've had the same issue in all 17.x builds I've tested. The Apple remote doesn't respond, I only get a OS X volume overlay if I press Up/Down.

I've tried to reboot the computer, restart Kodi, turn the remote on/off in OS X Settings and in Kodi settings, installed Candelair. Nothing works. I've only managed to get it to work once in a Kodi 17 build, this was after I restarted Kodi and I toggled the remote on/off in the Kodi settings. But I haven't been able to activate the remote again by reproducing the same steps.

If I switch to Kodi 16.x the Apple remote works flawless without any other steps, if I go back to Kodi 17.x the remote doesn't work. So it's this is definitely a Kodi 17.x issue I'm having.
Please go into the "all logs" section in the "Console" tool (its in applications - utilities) and filter the log by "XBMCHelper" (on the top right of the program). Please paste the last 30 or so lines of that to pastebin.com and put the link in here.

XBMCHelper Log: http://pastebin.com/cRFp0Pex

The XBMCHelper doesn't print anything to the log when I start Kodi 17.x. In the logs there are two startups from XBMCHelper 0.7, both are from when I've started Kodi 16.1. Is XBMCHelper not starting at all for me with Kodi 17 or do I need to enable debug logging for it separately somewhere?
I've tested some more.

With a clean install 17.0 Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 (17.0-ALPHA3 Git:2016-07-31-fc46cf2) it works, the XBMCHelper is started and the Apple remote is working. I've tested all nightly builds from 2016-07-31 and forward, and the last nightly that works is 17.0-BETA1 Git:2016-08-01-1ba7239. Nightlies from 2016-08-02 up until 2016-08-15 are not giving me any XBMCHelper logs and the remote does not work.
I'm pretty sure the issue I'm having is that XBMCHelper doesn't start when Kodi is launched for the nightlies after Alpha 3. If I start XBMCHelper manually using the terminal after I've launched Kodi the remote work.
Thx for digging this up. Turned out that a really "not-intrusive" looking change by a team mate resulted in this regression ... will fix it. Thx for the report Smile
Please try the next nightly build
Latest nightly works. Thanks!
Would this have affected atvclient use at all?

I can't get it working (see here)