Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Kodi 17] Unable to change channels when TimeShift is enabled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm having an issue with changing channels when time shift is enabled with NextPVR backend and the latest Kodi Alpha using Fire TV 4k. I am able to watch a channel without any issue. I can stop the channel and select a new channel fine as well. The issue occurs when I am watching a channel and change the channel without stopping first. After monitoring my NPVR server, I can see that the command to change channel is received and the channel "switches", but Kodi appears to miss the new channel stream and I am met with "Tuner no longer available" message. If I disable time shift in the addon settings everything works as expected. Attached are some logs for both Kodi and NPVR server. This issue was also reported on the NextPVR site, but not sure if it is Kodi or NPVR having the issue.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20874890/Logs.zip
I'm having a very similar problem, however I see this behaviour on Kodi 16.1 and MrMC 2.5.0 as well. I can't determine if this is a bug in Kodi or NextPVR, or just some quirk on the Fire TV. I've posted on the NextPVR forums but didn't get any response.

Issue:
When already watching live TV and switching to another channel *by directly entering a channel number*, it fails with message "Next PVR PVR Client 'Tuner No Longer Available'".

Backend Setup:
Windows 10
NextPVR 3.7.7
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD DVBT Tuner (x2 - 4 tuners total)
Wired ethernet connection

Frontend Setup:
Amazon Fire TV 4k
MrMC 2.5.0 (have also tried Kodi 16.1 and Kodi 17.0a3)
Flirc USB receiver (universal remote programmed to emulate Kodi keyboard commands)
Wired ethernet connection

Steps to Reproduce:
Start MrMC or Kodi
Start viewing a channel by selecting it in the channel list or EPG
Switch to another channel by directly entering a channel number (eg, 1-0-1-Enter)
Channel appears to switch and start buffering, but channel never starts playing
On NPVR backend, can see the tuner switching channel and creating new live TV buffer file
MrMC/Kodi displays 'Tuner No Longer Available' message
Press Stop in MrMC/Kodi and it returns to previous screen (either channel list or EPG), but tuner message remains
On NPVR backend, tuner is still locked to the selected channel and filling the buffer file (appears to not receive the Stop command from MrMC/Kodi)
Need to restart the recording service to release the tuner
Need to manually delete the buffer files

Additional Info:
Issue occurs using either MrMC or Kodi on the Fire TV
Switching channel by pressing Channel Up or Channel Down -- works as expected
Switching channel by going back to the EPG or channel list and selecting new channel -- works as expected

Issue does NOT occur using Kodi on Mac or Windows

I've tested a couple other PVR backends (MediaPortal, DVBViewer) and the issue does not occur. I'm really at a loss on how to solve this issue, and NPVR is otherwise my preferred backend. Any help is appreciated!
Yes stoli, this sounds very similar. Have you had a chance to test version 17 yet? I would be curious if you can recreate my issue if you upgraded. How are you inputing numbers on your fire tv, I will try and recreate this issue as well.
Yes, same issue on Kodi 16.1, 17a3, as well as MrMC 2.5 and 2.6. And I only see the issue on the FireTV (when I run Kodi on my Mac or Windows machine there is no issue).

For direct number input I'm using a Flirc USB adapter and a Harmony 650 remote programmed to emulate the standard keyboard commands in Kodi.

And just to reiterate, I don't have any issues switching channels using the standard channel up/down commands while on live TV. It's *only* when directly inputing a channel number to switch channels. Very strange...I don't know why that would make a difference, but it does.
stoli,

can you ensure that you have "Time Shifting" enabled in Kodi 17a3 and attempt to change channel either by a channel up/down or through the guide. I only see this issue with time shift enabled. When I get home from work I will plug a keyboard in and try some direct channel change and recreate it that way.
OK I've done a few tests.

Kodi 17a3
Time shifting off: Channels switch correctly, either using channel up/down or directly entering channel number
Time shifting on: Channels do NOT switch correctly using EITHER method (I could have sworn earlier that channel up/down would work, but it doesn't)

MrMC 2.6
Time shifting off: Channels switch correctly, either using channel up/down or directly entering channel number
Time shifting on: Channels switch correctly using channel up/down, but NOT by directly entering channel number

MrMC has backported a few things from Kodi 17 (mainly the new video engine I think), but is still largely based on Kodi 16.1...so maybe that explains why channel switching still half works in MrMC? I don't have Kodi 16.1 installed my the Fire TV at the moment to test if full channel switching works in that version or not. But I'm guessing the issue lies somewhere in the NPVR add-on....maybe there is some incompatibility with the new Kodi 17 video engine?

Off topic, but how do you find stock Kodi on the Fire TV? I'm relatively new to all this but stock Kodi seems to have really poor/nonexistent deinterlacing capabilities on the Fire TV. Have you found a way around that? It's the main reason I'm using MrMC...they've added in basic deinterlacing support to their version. It's not the greatest, but still miles better than the combing effects I see with stock Kodi.
So I just ran a quick test myself and found the same results you did. I had 16.1 installed and it works beautifully. I have also found that SPMC works just as well. I've read a few places that it might be a port to try for some more Android specific kodi changes. It is using 16.1 as it's base I believe. Stock 16.1 has much better deinterlacing than what is currently available in 17 in my opinion

My install method requires an app on my android phone and an app on fire tv. I download the amr apk on my phone. I then launch "es file explorer" on both my phone and on my fire tv. On phone browse to downloads. Long press the apk which will select it, continue to hold and drag the apk to the paper airplane icon that appears in the bottom left corner. Es will then search your network for another instance of es running, finding your fire tv. Select it to send the file, accept it on your tv and place it in your downloads folder. Once the transfer is complete install the package
Edit
Today I installed stock Kodi 16.1 and SPMC to do some testing.

Kodi 16.1:
Same issues with channel switching, especially when entering numbers directly.
Nonexistent deinterlacing on live/recorded TV -- too distracting for regular use

SPMC:
Channel switching works correctly! Both channel up/down and direct number enter!
Deinterlacing is 'good enough' for live/recorded TV - about the same level of quality as MrMC. I think this is pretty much down to the poor deinterlacing capabilities of the Fire TV itself

The only thing I've noticed with SPMC is that I occasionally get split-second audio dropouts with live TV. Pausing for a few seconds generally fixes it.

SPMC is also missing one of the best features of MrMC: auto framerate switching. TV in the UK is 50 Hz, so it's great to be able to automatically switch between 24, 50, and 60 Hz as needed. This is relatively new to MrMC, so hopefully it makes its way to SPMC very soon.

That being said, the channel switching issues take precedence for me, so I think I've found myself a new preferred Kodi fork!
I believe frame rate switching is an option in settings. Make sure you enable Expert settings.

While I'm glad we have figured out there is a problem with Kodi and some of the forks, it still is an issue that needs brought to the attention of someone with the skills to troubleshoot it and fix. So far we are the only ones taking in this thread.... Smile I'm still not sure if it is a bug with Kodi or NextPVR addon.
Sorry, was away for the weekend.

SPMC does have the standard option to 'Sync playback to display', but I'm talking about the option 'Adjust display refresh rate'. This doesn't work on the Fire TV with stock Kodi or SPMC, but the MrMC devs have got it working. So for example when a film starts playing, it will automatically switch the output from 60Hz to 24Hz.

I see v17b1 came out today. Have you had a chance to test it and see if any of the channel switching issues have been resolved?
Same issues occur with the Beta 1 release unfortunately. With time shifting enabled, you are unable to change channel successfully via the up down arrows, guide, or by manually inputting the channel via keyboard. Sad face
I too am having the issue with tuner not found when either switching channels or trying to direct access channels. It is random and does not happen all of the time. I have a windows 7 system running Jarvis 16 and nextpvr. We only do OTA antenna TV, no cable or sat. When this has happened I have tried shutting Kodi down and then open next pvr on the desktop and the affected channels will tune in perfectly. I also have HDHomerun View installed and if I open it I can also view the affected channels, so for me it seems to be a Kodi issue. One thing I have not been able to find is there any way to check signal strength of a broadcast channel in either Kodi or NextPVR? When I was using WMC it could be checked in the set up menus. I do not know if my issue is from the same causes as yours but I thought I would just put it out for some help or info. One thing I have not tried is turning off time shifting. I will do that tonight and if it fixes the issue I will report it.
1maynard,

I use an Android App called HDHomerun Signal Meter to see what my signal is when troubleshooting. There does not seem to be a way to do this with HDHomerun through NextPVR and Kodi.

Thanks for feedback, looking forward to your next post.
(2016-08-29, 16:16)mrdally204 Wrote: [ -> ]I use an Android App called HDHomerun Signal Meter to see what my signal is when troubleshooting. There does not seem to be a way to do this with HDHomerun through NextPVR and Kodi.

The Silicon Dust Windows App hdhomerun_config_gui.exe has a gui to the signal and tuning info

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3