Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Macroblocking on german Sky SD-Channels using DXVA2 decoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I encountered an annoying problem when using DXVA2 hardware accellerated decoding in Kodi. On SD channels from Sky Germany I have extreme macroblocking. Software decoding works like a charm on these channels.

On the other hand, there are no problems with DXVA2-playback of HD and UHD channels. Huh

Specs:
Windows 10 x64
Nvidia GTX 960 with 372.54 nvidia drivers
Kodi 17 Beta 1
TVheadend 4.1-2195

Screenshots:
watch gallery

Debug Log:
http://pastebin.com/NmESM93F
I have the same problem on some Swedish channels. Using Mediaportal as backend and have Intel HD 4400 GPU.

/Marcus
I still have this problem on 17 Beta 2.
Try using software rendering, some graphic engines have issues with hardware decoding.
Yes it's working fine with software rendering, but is that considered a fix for this problem? I got a better picture with DXVA on both HD and SD videos.
IMHO: yes that's the fix, the real fix should be an updated driver from the manufacturer that fixes hardware routines in their chips, but it seems they want to sell more cards. Overtime, I've lost most of the hardware acceleration and most of the routines in chips on my graphics card, the real solution according to the gfx manufacturers is time to buy a new card. The Kodi devs have done a marvellous job keeping these routines in software, so my system still plays anything I can throw at it.... but it's a bit CPU heavy now.
Software rendering is no option for 4K UHD channels, so I have to switch between hardware and software decoding according to which channel I want to watch, which sucks.

Unfortunately there is no way to set decoding per channel...
I'm having a similar problem on one SD channel (Eurosport 1).

Windows 10 64 bit
Kodi Krypton Beta 2
Amd Radeon HD 7870 (Catalyst 15.7.1 and Crimson Edition 16.7.2)
DVBViewer Recording Service backend

Errors show both on live tv and on playback of recordings from that channel. I tried changing rendering method between DXVA, Software and Pixel Shaders with no improvement at all.

I recorded a small sample file. During the first 25 seconds the picture stays green, but after that you will see the same errors that I see constantly on that channel.

The file plays fine on my Nvidia Shield so the problem seems to be limited to Windows.

Link to video

Link to log
So I tried it today with newest Nvidia hardware and newest drivers:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Driver Version 372.90
Kodi 17 Beta 2
tvheadend 4.1-2247

Problem still persists. Undecided
Tried it today with newest Nvidia hardware and newest drivers:

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Driver Version 375.95
Kodi 17 Beta 5
tvheadend 4.1-2330

Problem still persists. Undecided
Best stick with intel onboard usually, you dont get those issues.
My problem with Eurosport live channel and recordings was fixed probably in Beta 5. I rarely watch the channel in Kodi so I forgot about it. Also that sample file that I posted plays fine on Windows now. So thanks for the fix, whatever it was.