Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Error message on power up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi ,

I keep getting a fatal error message on start up as follows.

I am running Kodi 5.0.8 I think , the error message is :

"Error in check_discs: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run 'fsck' manually. Starting debugging shell type exit to quit. sh: can't access tty: job control turned off # _ "

I have tried re-imaging the SD card to a back up using Win32 , but I keep getting the same problem.

Does anyone have any advise please ?

These sort of problems happen to me relatively more frequently now and I am thinking of ditching Kodi/RPi and going back to WDTV streaming media player as I only really use it for playback of movies from an externally powered 2TB HDD.

The time it takes to so a fresh install of Kodi and go through the configuration is a pain , so if there is a relatively simple solution that would be great , otherwise I think I will be settling for something more plug and play. Thanks in advance.
If that kind of thing is happening more and more then that might be a sign that the SD card itself is having issues. Especially if you've re-imaged the card and it still happens.
Hi Ned ,

I did a clean install Of 5.0.8 using the same SD card.

It started up fine. I loaded the movie thumbnails using the scraper ok.

I will see how it goes. I did wonder if it might be mains power fluctuations that are causing instability, maybe even the adapter.

I will see how it goes for now, I left it powered on and will check on it at the end of the day. Thanks for posting.
OpenELEC 5.0.8 is really old.
LibreELEC v7.0.2 is the currently recommended stable release.
Thanks, is it possible to upgrade Kodi through the user interface ?

I changed the power adapter. It hasn't crashed for the longest time .

By the way , I keep seeing a small multicoloured square (red/yellow/green/blue) in the top right corner of the screen keep appearing , then disappearing. I had imagined it was something Kodi-related , is this a visual prompt that there is an updated software. Does anyone know how to get rid of it please (without upgrading , as a quick fix) ?
(2016-08-30, 19:37)24pfreak Wrote: [ -> ]By the way , I keep seeing a small multicoloured square (red/yellow/green/blue) in the top right corner of the screen keep appearing , then disappearing. I had imagined it was something Kodi-related , is this a visual prompt that there is an updated software. Does anyone know how to get rid of it please (without upgrading , as a quick fix) ?

That is the under-voltage warning. It shows your power supply (or possibly usb cable from power supply) is inadequate.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...hp?t=82373
I have connected the USB cable (a good quality one) directly to a USB socket on my LG TV.

So this implies the TV socket output is undervoltage ?

I will try a Sennheiser power supply later as well, I am certain it is rated as 5v 2.0 amp.
If that fails to cure it I will try to disable the warning.

I have an externally powered USB 2TB hard drive connected via USB to the RPi2, but should not be much power drain from that as it is externally powered.
Quote:So this implies the TV socket output is undervoltage ?

TV socket has never been recommended as an appropriate power supply for an Rpi.

Quote:In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1,500mA (1.5A).

Hardly enough to sustain an Rpi and far below recommended values.
ding ding ding. That's the issue. Get a good USB power supply and all should be right in the world :)
The Sennheiser adapter is only 0.5 Amp , although 5v. RPi did not power on with this.

I will need to source a decent adapter.