Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Release] Lifx Ambilight Addon for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Lifx (Ambilight) Addon for Kodi

Description
This add-on controls Lifx lights based on the following light groups, fully configurable using the setup wizard from addon settings.
  • Theater Group
    • Lights in the theater group act like wall lights in a typical theater. When playback starts the lights dim and they undim when playback is paused or ends. If you only want some of the lights to undim during pause, it is possible to configure "subgroup" in add-on settings -> Theater and only dim the subgroup.
  • Ambilight Group
    • Ambilight group tries to control the lights similarly to modern ambilight TVs. The add-on tries to figure out the most represented colors and brightness in each frame and change the lights to reflect that. They can also be configured to work similarly to theater group when playback is paused.
  • Static Group
    • Static lights act opposite to the theater lights -- they are turned on when playback starts, turned off when you pause the playback and go back to initial state after the playback stops.

Features
  • Fully customizable
    • Each group fully configurable with a discovery and selection wizard.
    • `Override` brightness/hue/saturation/temperature for different states in each of the theater/ambilight/static group - playback started/resumed, paused and stopped.
    • Option to forcefully `turn on` or `ignore` lights which are powered off (not switched off)
    • Option to `flash` lights once on discovery
    • Option to disable the Theater/Ambilight mode for `short videos`
      • Option to customize what is considered a *short* video
    • `Restore` the lights to original states (color and power) when movie stops.
  • 3 groups for your Lifx powered media center room
    • `Theatre`
      • `Dim` or Turn off the lights when Movie starts `playing`
      • `Undim` or Turn on the lights when you `pause` the movie
      • Return the lights to `original` settings when Movie ends.
      • Option to configure Fading time to be `proportional` to the current brightness. (e.g. take 7 seconds to change brightness from 100% to 30%, while taking 5 seconds to change from 50% to 0%)
    • `Ambilight`
      • Option to `Dim` the lights when Movie starts playing
      • Option to change `minimum` and `maximum` brightness
      • Option to configure threshold (minimum) values for brightness and saturation when calculating the color/brightness from picture frame.
      • Option to set different colors for different lights or same color for all lights
      • Option to configure bias value (lower the bias - more variety of colors, higher the bias - less variety of colors, but higher accuracy)
    • `Static`
      • Option to set a random color to the static lights that turn on when the video playback starts.
      • Option to override hue, saturation, brightness or temperature values

Demo
Installation
https://i.imgur.com/OTJeEvI.gif
  • Stable release
    • Open Kodi
    • Go to System -> Settings -> File Manager -> Add source
    • Add https://sanghviharshit.com/repo as the URL
    • Add "Harshit's Addons" as the name for source
    • Go to System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Install from zip file.
    • Select the zip file from "Harshit's Addons" location
    • Restart Kodi and configure the add-on:
    • System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> Services -> Lifx Ambilight
    • Configure available settings
  • Development version
    • Download the add-on as a ZIP file from the top of this page
    • (Click on the green "Clone or download button" then click on the "Download ZIP" link)
    • Open Kodi
    • Go to System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Install from zip file.
    • Select the zip file from the location where you downloaded the zip file
    • Restart Kodi and configure the add-on:
    • System -> Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> Services -> Lifx Ambilight
    • Configure available settings.

Changelog
https://github.com/sanghviharshit/script...ngelog.txt

Support
Just this thread would have been enough. There was no need to spam every vaguely related thread with the same post.

It is very poor etiquette to splatter post your add-on in other add-ons threads. Those posts have been removed.
Ok, I understand. Thanks for pointing it out.
does this use the lifx api?
It uses Lifx LAN protocol
had a quick play with it last night, works really well and its really well laid out.

i like the options you have in there, but, (there's always a but right? Wink )

I have two white lamps and one color lamp in my living room set up, would it be possible that i can have a set up that the two whites would dim and then use the color lamp to ambilight?
Glad you liked it!

About your question, yes absolutely!
From your lifx app -
A. Add the color lamp to a separate group, if you haven't already
B. Add the other two white bulbs to different group

Now from addon settings
1. In the main settings, select the mode as Ambilight mode and enable for group of lights instead of All lights and use the group name from A.
2. In the Ambilight settings - enable Dim before playback for group of lights and use group name from B.

This should enable the white bulbs in theater mode and the color bulb(s) in Ambilight mode.
fantastico!, will have another look tonight. gracias
Hi is there a way to just specify an IP address?
I know it has a discovery mode but my kodi server is behind a VPN and it wont discover while its on if it's off it will discover.
I know the light will have the same IP every time i use it.

Thanks
This has been requested by someone else too. The thing is the LifxLan module that I am using doesn't allow connecting to the bulb just by IP. It also need MAC address. I am not sure of adding the settings in user friendly manner. But I will update here when I update the addon to include manual IP/Mac settings.
Ok awesome sounds good.
Hi,

This is awesome, thanks.

Tested on kodi default player and works perfectly.
Tested on mpc-hc as external player and it works for starting (slowly dim to off) and stopping (slowly back to last intensity) the movie but not pause (nothing happen)
Is this a limitation or is there a way to make it work?

Thanks
Hi there,

This is working great. It did just stop the bulb from responding and I had to turn off / on so i will let you know if it happens again. Might be a one off.

Thanks.
(2016-09-06, 21:22)harct Wrote: [ -> ]Glad you liked it!

About your question, yes absolutely!
From your lifx app -
A. Add the color lamp to a separate group, if you haven't already
B. Add the other two white bulbs to different group

Now from addon settings
1. In the main settings, select the mode as Ambilight mode and enable for group of lights instead of All lights and use the group name from A.
2. In the Ambilight settings - enable Dim before playback for group of lights and use group name from B.

This should enable the white bulbs in theater mode and the color bulb(s) in Ambilight mode.

Finally got around to doing this tonight. WOW!

this works so awesomely well and just what us Lifx users were waiting for.

congrats on this superb addon!
Works like a charm!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5