Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Extend 1080i ota panning stutter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I hook my antenna straight to my tv, the 1080i looks great.

Then I plug the antenna back into the HDHR Extend. The Ethernet connects it to my Nighthawk router loaded with Tomato. I have both my AFTV2 and AppleTV4 plugged into the router as well. I have InstaTV loaded on both devices. I have Kodi loaded on the AFTV2 but not the AppleTV. I have the HDHomerun add on loaded in Kodi. I also have the native TV menu working in Kodi with TVheadend backend loaded on a chromebox.

I set transcoding to heavy and deinterlacing to on across all platforms with the same result. The video is choppy when panning. Does anyone know how to fix this or what the problem might be?
I believe it's related to the deinterlacing. Also, does the Extend deinterlace? I thought it only transcoded, and if that's the case, the problem is with your hardware having problems keeping up with the deinterlacing.
Ah
Thanks Cameron.

So I Found this:
Post #38
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1868238

Which led me to this:
"I want a Kodi box with quality deinterlacing for Live TV viewing from my backend server or HDHomeRun ?

In order of video quality and device speed:
Intel boxes like the Chromebox, Cherry trails, Braswells, NUC's
All AMLogic devices like the ODROID C2, WeTek's Hub and Core and the MINIX U1 that all have dedicated deinterlacing Hardware.
The RPi3 that uses high quality Hybrid CPU/GPU software deinterlacing.
Avoid - unless fixed - nVIDIA Shield and the FireTV's and the older Google Nexus Player."
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Silicone Dust should go out of their way to explain to their prospective customers that they need a special kind of box in order to watch some HD live ota channels, imo.
This was my best solution

OTA 1080i app
I agree with BigRich911. SiliconDust should be telling everyone that their hardware is no good for 1080i OTA content. I'm starting to get really pissed after buying a HDHomerun Connect and they have yet to get back to my support ticket. I think they are dodging the question because they don't have an answer.
The problem isn't with the hardware, it's the software. HDHR devices merely pass the stream along exactly as they get it. It's up to your software/computer to be able to handle the streams. This includes deinterlacing (including 1080i MPEG2 as found in the US), and HEVC/H.265 as found on DVB-T2 HD as in Germany.
Also be careful of the network bandwidth. The HDHR (connect anyway) does not demux, so the full TS is sent to the connected device. If there are multiple channels this can be 4-5x the bandwidth of the individual channel that you want. With an RPi3 running TVheadend, I saw 22Mbps coming out of the HDHR, and 4.5-5Mbps going to the client (with wireshark) Time critical video struggled with this. Switching to a USB tuner on the RPi kept most of this off the ethernet and all was good.
(2017-06-12, 00:55)aegidius Wrote: [ -> ]Also be careful of the network bandwidth. The HDHR (connect anyway) does not demux, so the full TS is sent to the connected device. If there are multiple channels this can be 4-5x the bandwidth of the individual channel that you want. With an RPi3 running TVheadend, I saw 22Mbps coming out of the HDHR, and 4.5-5Mbps going to the client (with wireshark) Time critical video struggled with this. Switching to a USB tuner on the RPi kept most of this off the ethernet and all was good.

The Connect can demux the stream, as can the Extend and even the legacy boxes. For the Extend, transcoding only works if the tuner demuxes.

You set the variable /tuner<n>/program to the desired program number, and then that is all that will be included. See here: https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hd...opment.pdf
Well maybe the connect is capable of demuxing, but the traffic from it to TVheadend, and also when I tested WMC on a host, was of a volume that indicated it wasn't being told to demux by either of them, in the normal course of events.
(2017-06-16, 08:02)aegidius Wrote: [ -> ]Well maybe the connect is capable of demuxing, but the traffic from it to TVheadend, and also when I tested WMC on a host, was of a volume that indicated it wasn't being told to demux by either of them, in the normal course of events.

That's the fault of TVheadend. It's not asking the tuner to demux. Possibly so that it can record multiple streams from the same channel.

I thought that WMC was using a single subchannel stream. I'll have to check my network traffic.