Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Which PVR if coming from WMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am looking at Kodi again.

Current setup is Win7 running WMC with OTA for TV. I have an internal tuner card and a SiliconDust HDHR4-2US HDHomeRun CONNECT .

Looking for a similiar setup as WMC. Something that offers the following using Kodi.

Enable Timeshift

Group Recordings

Series Recording

New and rerun - Records all episodes of the selected show.
New only - Skips recording episodes marked as repeats in the EPG
Live only - Records the episode ONLY if marked as "live" in the EPG.

On the Fly

Support multiple HDHomerun tuners

I currently run unRAID for a server.

Prefer free if possible but if paying gets you that much better I may look at it.
NextPVR
Why not keep WMC and use ServerWMC?
(2016-10-05, 20:46)jdlive Wrote: [ -> ]Why not keep WMC and use ServerWMC?

can you expand on that? I was reading up on serverwmc but not sure how it works with Kodi.

If I setup Serverwmc is this doing all my recordings now instead of wmc? Meaning do I need to turn off wmc or remove my recorded shows from wmc?
(2016-10-06, 22:01)cburbs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-05, 20:46)jdlive Wrote: [ -> ]Why not keep WMC and use ServerWMC?

can you expand on that? I was reading up on serverwmc but not sure how it works with Kodi.

If I setup Serverwmc is this doing all my recordings now instead of wmc? Meaning do I need to turn off wmc or remove my recorded shows from wmc?
ServerWMC still relies on WMC. You will keep your WMC just as it is and nothing is lost. ServerWMC just translate it to Kodi.

ServerWMC is a man-in-the-middle software which acts as a go-between between Kodi as WMC through the ServerWMC software and its client.

Kodi PVR API <-> ServerWMC PVR (client) Addon <-> ServerWMC (backend) <-> Microsoft Windows Media Center (WMC). Read:

http://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend
RockerC covered it well. Serverwmc does not record anything, it just sends your recording requests to the wmc recording service that runs in the background on any wmc installation. Wmc intself does NOT need to be running for serverwmc to work, but serverwmc needs to be kept running so your kodi (or emby, or plex) clients can connect.

You do not need to move your recordings around, kodi will show the same recordings that wmc does. They will also show the the same upcoming scheduled recordings (in kodi parlance these are called timers - either single or series).
Ok that makes sense and that was what I was thinking but not 100% sure.

Since this looks easy to setup I may give it a try over the weekend.
If you have further questions on serverwmc, I suggest posting them the wmc subforum, here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205
Ok Would it be best to install serverwmc on the existing machine running MC or on another machine. Any advantage to one or the other?
Serverwmc has to be installed on a machine running wmc. If you have more than one machine running wmc, you have to decide which wmc installation you want to act as the 'server' for kodi clients, then install serverwmc there.
Can I install it on Arctic: Zephyr skin?

I can't seem to find it.........
(2016-10-12, 00:41)cburbs Wrote: [ -> ]Can I install it on Arctic: Zephyr skin?

I can't seem to find it.........

You do need to install the wmc pvr client in Kodi to be able to watch live TV, but the server is a separate install done outside of Kodi.

You can download it here

There's also a guide in the WMC subforum that might be useful.
Right but don't you need a front end piece to connect to wmc pvr on my HTPC?

I thought this was needed - pvr.wmc Frontend - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=179960

Kodi PVR Client

On each Kodi machine, install the PVR Client add-on (zip file) you downloaded when you downloaded ServerWMC by doing the following:

System/Settings/Add-ons/Install from zip file

Kodi will then open the Kodi Browser. Use the up and down arrows to select the folder and then the .zip file you want, and then click on it. Kodi will install the add-on.

System/Settings/Add-ons/Enabled Add-ons/PVR Clients/Windows Media Center Client.../Configure

Enter the IP Address of your Windows Media Center computer in the "Server Hostname or IP" field and select "OK".

Next, enable Live TV in Kodi:

Settings/Live TV/Enabled: Checked
Settings/Live TV/Use backend channels numbers: Checked
Settings/Live TV/EPG/Days to Display EPG: 14 days
Settings/Live TV/Recording/Display a notification … timer updates: Uncheck

Settings/Live TV/EPG/Reset EPG Database: Select and click "Yes".
(2016-10-14, 01:23)cburbs Wrote: [ -> ]Right but don't you need a front end piece to connect to wmc pvr on my HTPC?

I thought this was needed - pvr.wmc Frontend - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=179960

Kodi PVR Client

On each Kodi machine, install the PVR Client add-on (zip file) you downloaded when you downloaded ServerWMC by doing the following:

System/Settings/Add-ons/Install from zip file

Kodi will then open the Kodi Browser. Use the up and down arrows to select the folder and then the .zip file you want, and then click on it. Kodi will install the add-on.

This thread should be in the PVR_WMC section, if a mod reads this could they please move it there.

System/Settings/Add-ons/Enabled Add-ons/PVR Clients/Windows Media Center Client.../Configure

Enter the IP Address of your Windows Media Center computer in the "Server Hostname or IP" field and select "OK".

Next, enable Live TV in Kodi:

Settings/Live TV/Enabled: Checked
Settings/Live TV/Use backend channels numbers: Checked
Settings/Live TV/EPG/Days to Display EPG: 14 days
Settings/Live TV/Recording/Display a notification … timer updates: Uncheck

Settings/Live TV/EPG/Reset EPG Database: Select and click "Yes".

That is an old tutorial, PVR addons now come pre installed with Kodi, you just need to turn turn on PVR WMC addon. Linux is the only exception there you should find it in apt, just do a "sudo apt-cache search pvr" and you should find it.
Ok I have this running now. Need to play with it somemore to see if I like it or not.