Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Failed to install add-on from zip issue!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Everytime I try and install a new update for the Metropolis skin I get a message that says "Failed to install add-on from zip" and so I need to shut down Kodi 17 and restart and then and only then the kin update will install. I seem to have this issue everytime I try and install an skin Metropolis skin update.

Here is info that was recommended to share with you.

12:31:41 T:4612 DEBUG: CAddonInstaller: installing from zip 'smb://BEDROOM-PC/Desktop/Metropolis 3.4.0 RC 3 for Kodi 17.zip'
12:31:41 T:4612 DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x1c, sym: 0x000d, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
12:31:41 T:660 ERROR: XFILE::CFile:Big Grinelete - Error deleting file C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.metropolis\media\Textures.xbt​
12:31:41 T:660 ERROR: XFILE::CFile:Big Grinelete - Error deleting file special://home/addons/skin.metropolis/media/Textures.xbt
12:31:41 T:660 ERROR: XFILE::CFile:Big Grinelete - Error deleting file C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.metropolis\media\Textures.xbt​
12:31:41 T:660 ERROR: XFILE::CFile:Big Grinelete - Error deleting file special://home/addons/skin.metropolis/media/Textures.xbt
12:31:41 T:660 ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[skin.metropolis]: could not read addon description of special://home/addons/skin.metropolis

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289336&page=6

Thanks
try if it works if you copy the zipfile to your pc, instead of installing it from a smb:// location.
(2016-09-20, 19:22)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]try if it works if you copy the zipfile to your pc, instead of installing it from a smb:// location.

I will do that and let you know my results.

Thanks
(2016-09-20, 19:22)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]try if it works if you copy the zipfile to your pc, instead of installing it from a smb:// location.

Ok copied file to desktop and still got the same error message. It's strange I need to shut down kodi restart and then it installs without error.
Here is a new Debug Log

http://paste.ubuntu.com/23229278/

Here is exactly how it happens on each computer.

I was using Metropolis skin and went to settings, Add-ons and checked for updates and then I got the failed to install message. So now I shut down kodi and restarted and when kodi opened it switched on its owned to the new default skin. So now I went to switch to Metropolis and it was missing from the list. So I now had to click Get more and reinstall Metropolis. It install just fine all skin settings intact and working fine.
Author of Metropolis here. I can't reproduce this on MacOSX or Linux, so I am suspecting this is a Windows-specific bug.

I found a post in the Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO thread citing the same issue, so it's at least not limited to Metropolis.

Additionally, when I submitted Metropolis 3.4.0 for release, ronie noted that artwork was missing the first time he installed it. After a clean install of Kodi, it installed and appeared fine. Though I suspect he might have just had to have reinstalled Metropolis to fix it. He didn't provide more details, but it's possible that either Textures.xbt wasn't installed correctly/completely or was missing.

gate1975mlm has noted the same missing artwork issue when installing the Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO Krypton bleeding-edge build too.

When gate1975mlm tries to update Metropolis (by ZIP -- I'm not totally sure this happens when updating via the repo), the first seemingly-related error in the debug log is regarding deleting the old Textures.xbt. So, these things may be related.

Besides gate1975mlm, a couple of others claim to have seen this problem too.
I installed the latest Kodi 17 nightly build and still same issue with that build too.
i can confirm the issue. no problem on linux, but updating the skin you're currently using doesn't work on windows.
tested with both metropolis and confluence.

it indeed fails to delete the Textures.xbt file.
trying to delete the file manually at this point is also not possible (windows error: file in use by kodi)

perhaps some kind of locking issue?
(2016-09-27, 19:10)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]i can confirm the issue. no problem on linux, but updating the skin you're currently using doesn't work on windows.

trying to delete the file manually at this point is also not possible (windows error: file in use by kodi)

i also expereinced the same issue on two windows 10 x64 machines and aeon nox silvio skin.
See my posts here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=...pid2411162
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2425847

After the issue i have to restart kodi and reinstall the skin in the gui, because there are some files missing in the skin folder..
how shall we proceed?
is there already a bug ticket?

pOpY
Please test if this build has the failure or not
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32..._cmake.exe

This will help narrowing it down.
(2016-09-27, 19:10)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]i can confirm the issue. no problem on linux, but updating the skin you're currently using doesn't work on windows.

Also happened for me on LibreELEC/OpenELEC last day. (BETA2)
Happens on Android too if I try to update a skin that I'm currently using. Zip-file is located on a smb share. Restarting Kodi or changing the skin before updating it fixes the problem.
(2016-09-29, 10:53)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Please test if this build has the failure or not
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32..._cmake.exe

This will help narrowing it down.

Still getting Update Failed message with this build too Sad
(2016-09-29, 11:35)maxtherabbit Wrote: [ -> ]Happens on Android too if I try to update a skin that I'm currently using. Zip-file is located on a smb share. Restarting Kodi or changing the skin before updating it fixes the problem.

So it's not just a Windows issue then?
Pages: 1 2 3 4