Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi goes to Windows store, a question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all let me say congratulations to all in team Kodi, this news seems quite a milestone for the project.
I just have one question (so far), if I install from the Windows store will my settings, addons and library be preserved as they would be by doing an upgrade from a normal download of Kodi or will it be seen as a separate install from my current one?
I've looked on the store and don't see this information displayed.
I believe (but have not tested) that settings will be maintained.
In other words, it will not be seen as a separate install.
it will use the same userdata folder like a regular install - so everything is being preserved
(2016-09-21, 10:11)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]it will use the same userdata folder like a regular install - so everything is being preserved

Thanks, I believe when version 17 is ready for prime time I will be getting it from the Windows store then.

Once again I'd like to congratulate and thank all involved for making this happen
and as an aside its quite good to see MS helping you get Kodi onto their store rather than the attitudes Amazon and Itunes stores have taken towards the best media player on the planet.

A second question, will this breakthrough help in getting official content suppliers to supply their services through Kodi?
(2016-09-21, 19:01)stammie Wrote: [ -> ]A second question, will this breakthrough help in getting official content suppliers to supply their services through Kodi?
I didn't realize Kodi was on the Windows store, saw this and thought " I'll stick to what I have", but if Hulu/Netflix/Amazon added official support(Silverlight player core?) I would try it out.
(2016-09-21, 19:45)spyder Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-21, 19:01)stammie Wrote: [ -> ]A second question, will this breakthrough help in getting official content suppliers to supply their services through Kodi?
I didn't realize Kodi was on the Windows store, saw this and thought " I'll stick to what I have", but if Hulu/Netflix/Amazon added official support(Silverlight player core?) I would try it out.

There is no technical difference between the store version of Kodi and the regular version, so in that sense it will not result in any official support. With that said, it being in the store might up the legitimacy quotient, which could theoretically result in the interest of more content providers. Either way, the benefits would affect both the regular and store version the same, so if you decide to skip the store version, you should be fine.
I will like to bring and update to this subject.

The version on the windows store (congrats by the way) will preserve your settings but will not install over you previous version of Kodi, you will end up with two versions on your system.

Not sure if this can be changed or if the direct download from the website will be any better. downloading it now from the site instead.

update:

downloading the version directly from the site is the best bet, not only you remove the dual installation if you go thru the windows store, but you also get all your add-ons migrated and settings preserved. The new default skin will take some getting used to but is really nice. still needs some work on the left side panel as it disappears when you move the mouse after clicking to show it. but you can use the arrows to navigate that way too.

All in all looks good