Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: The PUBLIC do not Know about Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a head-to-head about costs with my ISP about my bundle I got a 6 month extension to maintain current costs. Now it is 5 months. Jumped on the Internet looking for alternatives and bought "[2016 new arrivals] J-DEAL® M8 Fully Loaded KODI Quad Core Android 4.4 Smart Set Top TV Box + Free Remote Keyboard
by J-DEAL". I didn't know what fully loaded meant but I presumed that it was an on/off thing. It was loaded with Kodi and bunch of other stuff which I found may or may not work. By and large though I got my moneys worth as the box was up and running from get go and the only issue was myself as I didn't have a clue and still don't for a large part.

I just checked now and that Provider is still listed on Amazon. When I was reviewing the add-ons provided I soon noticed that some of the comments advised to check if legal in my Country (Canada) and also some of the sources when opened showed pigeons, or told me about I/they know the rules, etc so I decided that something was going on that I hadn't counted on.

If I decide to do something illegal it would be something major like 20 million or so, or standing up for something that my core being supports: not for a piece of music, or a picture, etc.

So, I am half way through disabling many of the listing and am about 1/3 of the way done. I didn't remove them as I don't know what was OK etc.

Now, I have gone to Kodi.tv.wiki to find a list of what should or should not be in my Kodi system and found a page there which has lists on it http://kodi.wiki/index.php?search=list+o...l%3ASearch so I will compare what I have to what is there and hope I can put this behind me.

Your first posting on this forum outlines a very valid concern, both for yourselves and the public. I am curious why I never found any blogs about Cable Cutting ( that is stealing the name of the guys that got me on the right road in a very round about way.) I could relate to cutting my cable as that is what I search for on the Internet or WiFi TV was another search term I looked for.when searching for options. I don't do Social Media and maybe somebody here should. I didn't look for Free as nothing is free. So blogging or posting on social media programs seem to be a viable option to get the word out. Just a thought or three.
Have a look at this blog and also this one concerning such boxes.

We do not offer any support for them here with the sole exception of cleaning of all the banned add-on (wiki) junk that they inevitably come with and that rarely work reliably and become unstable quickly. Those boxes use illegally sourced pirated material and drag the name of Kodi through the mud.
Hi Mr. Hill
Thank you for the additional information. I had read most of the blog information in one of this Forum's Stickys which is actually what prompted me to post my info. Although very informative, the hostility contained will probably not charm someone into looking further into using Kodi.

Firstly, the TV Box works but one must have some previous knowledge to avoid making wrong decisions when setting it up. Yes, there are many links that probably shouldn't be there. This is why the link page on Kodi Wiki is so important.

Secondly; my point was purchasers of boxes are not trying (at least I don't think so) to rip any entity off or do any thing illegal. They like myself are probably trying to get out from under the heel if their local ISP charges and content. Your system was certainly new to me and to those I have mentioned it to in my peer group have never heard of Kodi. I was trying to point out that perhaps a slightly expanded approach to educating the public would be a different way to broadcast your services as I previously suggested.

I am going to send the links of the Kodi forum to the manufacture from whom I purchased my TV Box and maybe if they are better educated on the subject they will try to guide themselves accordingly, hopefully thereby gaining the support of the Kodi community. It might/could happen if they are professional marketing people.

Lastly, the culture of Kodi uses language that is totally foreign to a non-user. I know it has taken me a while to figure out what to expect using or working with certain terminology. Why people like myself are getting involved is we are feeling the squeeze from the regular media providers through the exorbitant costs they are imposing. I either have to learn about the different options available or forget to be part of the here and now society.
( A copy of an email sent to the merchant on Amazon through the Amazon email communications department. Lets hope Amazon take a serious look at this issue as well)

Email to: J-DeaL - Amazon Marketplace <[email protected]>

Email from: disberg 2

Subject: Re: Order information from Amazon seller J-DeaL (Order: 701-0036550-5433054)

Dear Sirs;

Since I have purchased your product, which I am happy with, I joined the
Kodi.tv forum, and find that your use of the word Kodi in your marketing
in contrary to trademark rules.  Perhaps you should contact Kodi and get
the proper approval as it would only enhance your position on Amazon
and generate better sales.

Also it has been brought to my attention that some of the listings contained
in your TV Box are illegal and could get people like myself in trouble with the
law.

I don't believe that you intentionally intended to create possible hardships
for your customers.

If I have provided you with information you previously were not aware
of please refer to the following links for your edification and correction.

http://kodi.wiki/
https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ling-kodi/
https://kodi.tv/warning-be-aware-what-ad...ou-install
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2422175
http://kodi.wiki/index.php?search=list+o...l%3ASearch

Please guide yourselves accordingly.
Oh, you sweet summer child.
(2016-09-24, 08:20)macauleyr4 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, you sweet summer child.

LOL

The public are more than aware of Kodi - that I'm sure of.

The vast majority are not attempting to "get out from under the heel if their local ISP charges and content" - not sure where that relates in your stance? They just want all the content - FREE.

Sounds a bit like you - you don't want the financial burden, but still want the content.
I'll be amazed if you ever receive a response to that mail. Those "uneducated merchants" are making a TON of money using our name.

Why would they change their business model? Can you think of a single reason? Their moral sense suddenly kicks in? I've learned that moral and ethical backgrounds are quite elastic when it comes to money or other commodities in high demand.
I don't ask or look for free, but I do refuse exorbitant, or no value. Of course I want the content. I want a good news channel, a good show now and then and the big bang theory, PBS, Knowledge Network and "The view" occasionally. All available on cable but for $140/m with capped data usage. Really? I have had Netflix for over 3 years - not free but realistic. I have a life and don't sit in front of the boob tube all the time. I do like my computer but haven't thought of sitting there just watching a show. I put Kodi on my computer so I can control what I have on the TV Box properly. So enough about being defensive.

I don't understand the hostile attitude. It is inappropriate and unproductive.

Maybe a softer approach will give Kodi the boost it genuinely deserves. Why don't some of you monitor Amazon, I have given you one email address to contact them. Of course, they know, (or at least I would think so) about Kodi. However, has Kodi ever sent them a formal letter advising Kodi would consider Amazon in breach of and party to breach of trademark rules. Have any letters of Notice ever been sent to anybody? Blubbering is self-gratifying but you have the law on you side now so use it.
(2016-09-24, 17:19)disberg2 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't ask or look for free, but I do refuse exorbitant, or no value. Of course I want the content. I want a good news channel, a good show now and then and the big bang theory, PBS, Knowledge Network and "The view" occasionally. All available on cable but for $140/m with capped data usage. Really? I have had Netflix for over 3 years - not free but realistic. I have a life and don't sit in front of the boob tube all the time. I do like my computer but haven't thought of sitting there just watching a show. I put Kodi on my computer so I can control what I have on the TV Box properly. So enough about being defensive.

I don't understand the hostile attitude. It is inappropriate and unproductive.

Maybe a softer approach will give Kodi the boost it genuinely deserves. Why don't some of you monitor Amazon, I have given you one email address to contact them. Of course, they know, (or at least I would think so) about Kodi. However, has Kodi ever sent them a formal letter advising Kodi would consider Amazon in breach of and party to breach of trademark rules. Have any letters of Notice ever been sent to anybody? Blubbering is self-gratifying but you have the law on you side now so use it.
You think you're the first person to think of contacting Amazon?
Seriously?
(2016-09-24, 17:19)disberg2 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the hostile attitude.

It's not so much hostile as it is condescending of your naivety... which doesn't make it right, but 30 minutes of research and a bit of common logic would have prevented your uninformed purchase and rose-tinted posts here.

Do you really think anyone from the Kodi team is going to take time out of their busy day (day job, family, unpaid Kodi coding, answering tedious forum posts) for months on end (or years) to go all Erin Brockovich on Amazon's ass? Because that's what it would take - roughly no amount of emails on any of their products would make it past junior customer service staff.

Kodi is well known indeed. The only people not using it or something like it are those who don't care or who can't be bothered with a tiny bit of tech. These are the people targeted by bundled systems. And they get what they put into it.

RLW
When Kodi was removed from Amazon store we pointed out to them the loads of listings for modified Amazon Firetv and Firestick listings on their website, has anything been done to remove these? nope because they take a slice of the sale.
Hi. I wasn't going to come back here to continue listening to the jeers or whatever but sometimes miracles do happen. I am not refuting anything that any of you are saying and yes, I am very naive, and yes just for the record it took a whack longer than 30 minutes to find there were other media methods available. It is hard to find something you don't know of.

Below is a copy of an email in response to the email I sent to the supplier of the TV Box I bought.

"Subject: Re Order Information from Amazon Seller J. Deal
Date: Sept 25, 2016

Order ID/Commande N°: 701-0036550-5433054:
1 of/sur [2016 new arrivals] J-DEAL® M8 Fully Loaded KODI Quad Core Android 4.4 Smart Set Top TV Box + Free Remote Keyboard [ASIN: B01APETJPW]

-------------- Begin message / Début du message -------------

Dear:

Thank you so much for your suggestions, and we will confirm it and check it again ,

Have a good day,

I know it was only an acknowledgement of the email I sent, but they did acknowledge and now you know they know. Maybe they will contact you directly. So give them 30 days and then send a 7 day Letter of Notice.

Take Care.
(2016-09-26, 18:20)disberg2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. I wasn't going to come back here to continue listening to the jeers or whatever but sometimes miracles do happen. I am not refuting anything that any of you are saying and yes, I am very naive, and yes just for the record it took a whack longer than 30 minutes to find there were other media methods available. It is hard to find something you don't know of.

Below is a copy of an email in response to the email I sent to the supplier of the TV Box I bought.

"Subject: Re Order Information from Amazon Seller J. Deal
Date: Sept 25, 2016

Order ID/Commande N°: 701-0036550-5433054:
1 of/sur [2016 new arrivals] J-DEAL® M8 Fully Loaded KODI Quad Core Android 4.4 Smart Set Top TV Box + Free Remote Keyboard [ASIN: B01APETJPW]

-------------- Begin message / Début du message -------------

Dear:

Thank you so much for your suggestions, and we will confirm it and check it again ,

Have a good day,

I know it was only an acknowledgement of the email I sent, but they did acknowledge and now you know they know. Maybe they will contact you directly. So give them 30 days and then send a 7 day Letter of Notice.

Take Care.

Muppet! Nod