Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Permanent Visible Submenu MQ7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just switched from Aeon Nox to MQ7. Nox had a simple submenu that was always visible and attacked to the main menu items. Since Kodi currently lacks any form of mixed source types/exclusions, I used the common trick of making smart-playlists of my separate content (Anime, Comedy stand-up, Documentaries, etc.) Now, some documentaries are series and some are feature length and you can't mix them so I make separate smart-playlists again.

Aeon Nox's permanent submenus helped me out here as I didn't want to clutter up my main menu with multiple playlists of docos or comedies or whatever. So I'd make a main menu item called 'Documentary' and then make a submenu called 'Doco Feature'.

Now with MQ7 we have to press 'down' to access the submenu. Which is really nice for a clean interface but I'm concerned I'll 'forget' about my extra content if there's no little menu item constantly next to it. Is there a way to permanently attach a submenu item in MQ7? If not, is there any other way to do it? (Like extra widgets or something.)

*Edit* I tried making a custom library node that led to both playlist types and that worked, but is kinda janky. If no permanent submenu is possible, would it instead be possible to customise it so that when I select the 'Documentary' main item, it activates the submenu? (just like pressing down already does) This would make it impossible to ignore the whole library and will benefit in not wasting the submenu space. Currently there is no 'open submenu' action or other 'custom action' in the 'replace this menu' option in the settings.
Submenu is other window, and need press down for show, donĀ“t have option for stay visible for now. When you put item in main menu based smartplaylist, you have widget available and visible, you need only press up arrow item in main menu for go to widget selector.

Use right arrow for browse in widget selector, smartplaylist widget is the last items available in right side.

Widget based in smartplaylist is visible only after create item in main menu, via customize main menu area.
Thanks Wanilton. I'll think about using that approach as I'm still learning to use the widgets.

In the mean time I kinda solved my issue with a hacky workaround: I made an Autohotkey script that sends a 'Down' key press when run and made it an .exe so that Advanced Launcher could run it. Then I set that launch config as a favourite and set the main menu item run it. So when that item is selected or I press down, no matter what I'm presented with a choice of 'Documentary Feature' or 'Documentary Series' before I choose my show. The script is literally:

Send, {Down}
Return
Ok my last solution wasn't 100% correct. Advanced Launcher had big problems with this: when selecting the triggered submenu advanced launcher would somehow run twice and enter a loop saying "opening stream" instead of accessing my smart playlist. So I booted Advanced Launcher (not supported anyway) and replaced it with Advanced Emulator Launcher (supported). http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287826http://

Unfortunately, AEL only adds its launchers into its own special 'favourites' section with no way to get them out. The best add-on to solve this is Super Favourites.
Unfortunately again! MQ7 doesn't support Super Favourites for linking within its menus/submenus as mentioned in this thread: 289226 (thread). But at least SF lets you fiddle with the default Kodi favourites folder which it looks like default MQ7 doesn'tHuh (I couldn't find it in the menus). BUT when you tell Super Favourites to add something to the regular Kodi favouriites, it stupidly just creates a open window link to the favourite folder rather than a truly adding said favourited item. Meaning my 'press down' AHK script wasn't being triggered.

So I went and grabbed the xml entry manually from the Super Favourite file and added it to favourites.xml

I know it's a lot of effort to get such a silly action completed but whatever, that bit works kinda now. I reckon a Kodi script would have done it, but I'm not a programmer and I couldn't actually find (or understand) what functions would trigger an 'open submenu' or 'send keypress' command. If anyone knows how to do that I'd much rather.
(2016-09-25, 16:16)Snacuum Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately again! MQ7 doesn't support Super Favourites for linking within its menus/submenus as mentioned in this thread: 289226 (thread). But at least SF lets you fiddle with the default Kodi favourites folder which it looks like default MQ7 doesn'tHuh (I couldn't find it in the menus). BUT when you tell Super Favourites to add something to the regular Kodi favouriites, it stupidly just creates a open window link to the favourite folder rather than a truly adding said favourited item. Meaning my 'press down' AHK script wasn't being triggered.
Are you try Video node for this ?
SF working for menu,,submenu and widget...
try yourself to solve this Smile

I don't understand. I did try video nodes for accessing the specific media folders, but I don't know how they interact with favourites, since they're the things I need to link the launchers. How does a video node inspect the favourites database?