Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: My kodi journey or how I learned to love the code.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thank you team kodi and all here.

Way back at the end of 2012 I was looking to replace my dish service. As I began the (how-to) goggle search I stumbled upon something called xbmc. At that time I had just one oldish mac mini and a couple old CRT TV from the mid 1990’s.

So i bought an eyetv hybrid, built my own antenna, loaded xbmc, makemvk and handbrake on the mac and started to rip my dvd collection. Thus ended my support of dish network.

I now have 2 chrome boxes running GalliumOS/Kodi, a chrome book running GalliumOS/Kodi, an old broken asus laptop I repaired now running xubuntu/Kodi. Just 4 days ago I bought a raspberry pi 3 and loaded LibreElec. I also added a HDHomerun. I still have the mac but now have new flat screen TVs.

Prior to xbmc/kodi I wanted nothing to do with coding of any kind.
I now have dabbled with skinning and continue to slowly learn the mystic art the code. And it is fun! I can not believe I just said that.
I even use my own modded version of aeon nox silvo skin daily.

I had never even opened the terminal in 25 years as a mac user. Today I no longer fear the terminal and use it daily. Who would have thunk it?

I doubt that I will ever by a mac again. Linux in some flavor has become my go to OS of choice. Amazing.

The crazy thing is, even with all the new HTPC’s and new TV”s I still have saved a lot of money by dumping the Satellite service.

All this and more would have never been possible or even attempted if not for Team Kodi, the kodi wiki and all who post here in this forum.

I would like to offer a special thanks to all who offered assistance when I asked the same question that had been asked before. I always search first, but goggle can be a fickle friend at times. Or is it operator error? Thanks for your patience.

Now for confessions from the dark side.
Early on in my journey I discovered the evil “get it for free” banned addon’s. What a massive waste of time and effort. Maybe when I was 12 I would have thought it was cool and would zone out on the lure of the pirate myth. But at 55 it a big scam an you get what you pay for. Thank the gods I discovered xbmc/kodi via lifehaker > xbmc.com first and not any of the other guys who offer the drug “get it for free”. Only darkness awaits you down that path.

I could have never imagined were xbmc/kodi would take me. And like all worthwhile journeys frustrations are common at first but it is worth it. I have as much fun setting up my tv experience as I do watching tv.

Thanks for showing the way. I had no idea.
What a nice post! Kudos, mxlance...
Quote:Early on in my journey I discovered the evil “get it for free” banned addon’s. What a massive waste of time and effort

+1
Good one ! (coming from a user with very similar experiences).
thanks, was not sure if i should post it.
thanks for your nice words. Finally some motivation boost after all the recent bullshit videos on youtube that spread nothing but lies and conspiracy nonsense.
Nice read Smile Glad to have you be a part of our community.
(2016-09-26, 18:43)mxlance Wrote: [ -> ]Early on in my journey I discovered the evil “get it for free” banned addon’s. What a massive waste of time and effort.

Could not have said it better!!
I think we may have a rare case of someone with some common sense here... Wink
Probably would be a nice idea to stick this post!

Great experience Smile
Great post!
Blushing now.
thank you for the kind words.
Nice post! I can relate myself to most of what you have written. In my case, a bit more drastic since it ended up in a complete career shift Smile If today I am working as a software engineer I owe that to Kodi. For the long hours learning by myself how to build something for Kodi and for the joy of doing so. It really got to a point in which I asked myself if what I was doing at that moment was really what I wanted to do in the future.

So thank you mxlance for sharing
(2016-09-29, 01:04)enen92 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice post! I can relate myself to most of what you have written. In my case, a bit more drastic since it ended up in a complete career shift Smile If today I am working as a software engineer I owe that to Kodi. For the long hours learning by myself how to build something for Kodi and for the joy of doing so. It really got to a point in which I asked myself if what I was doing at that moment was really what I wanted to do in the future.

So thank you mxlance for sharing

Oh, that's really awesome!
Thanks for sharing @mxlance.

Re those evil addons, I bought an android s905x machine the other day (US$21.99, too good for a toy hoarder not to buy). My idea is to put libreelec onto it. Meanwhile I booted it as shipped and of course it has kodi pre-installed and fully loaded. I am totally against that stuff (or I guess I wouldn't have been done the honour of being invited onto the team recently, still blown away by that). Anyway I took a very quick look at the plethora of addons and couldn't see what the attraction is. Crap the lot of them.

Looking forward to getting LE installed on it.

@enen92, great story, very heartening.
Pages: 1 2