Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon FireTV Stick 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Launch Date: Oct. 20 2016 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDKK?ref...k_ann_ecg1
  • Processor: MediaTek Quad-core ARM 1.3 GHz
  • GPU: Mali450 MP4
  • Storage: 8 GB internal
  • Memory: 1 GB
  • Wi-Fi Connectivity: Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi supports 2x2 MIMO 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
  • Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.1[/*]
  • Voice Support : Yes, with Alexa Voice Remote (included) or free Fire TV Remote App (available for download on Fire, Android, and iOS)
  • Audio Support: Dolby Audio, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1
  • Content Formats Supported: Video: H.264 1080p30H.265 1080p30,
    Audio: AAC-LC, HE-AACv1 (AAC+), HE-AACv2 (eAAC+), AC3 (Dolby Digital), eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MIDI, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, AMR-NB, AMR-WB
    Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP
  • Output Resolution Supported: 720p and 1080p up to 60fps
So no new FireTV? Only a schtick? Hmmm
Disappointing if Amazon won't be also releasing FTV3 box w/4K@60 and HDR, especially to counter nVidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box, and even the new Roku Premiere/Ultra boxes.
Torn between this and the Mi Box. Currently have the Gen 1 and it has suited me well with Kodi and the streaming apps.

Any thoughts?
Thoughts are what Audio / Video do you exactly want to view ?
The Mi Box will eat up 10bit HEVC, that we know already.

Also if you were going anywhere near TV streams that require deinterlacing, I would not trust anything Amazon to do the job. AMLogic has proven to be able to handle that very well.

I would also expect down the track the Mi Box will get a lot more Community support once the AML / LibreELEC / Linux hackers get into it and come up with all sorts of images. Just look at what has been done with other AML devices.

The only thing we don't know with the Mi Box is if the Amazon Instant Video / Android TV OS App (from a Sony TV) gives you 1080p playback like it does on the Shield and WeTek Play2/Hub. Audio output with the Amazon Instant Video App on these is 2.0
This is great! I'm so pumped that the Fire Stick V1 that I ordered just yesterday will be out of date so soon! I need a cold shower.