Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Current Status: robwebset repository
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Hi All,

The other threads have gone seriously off topic again, so I thought that I would start a thread that we could focus on the way forward. (Sort of where Nate and I left it a few days ago)

As Nate highlighted there have been a few developments along the way - and I'm actually at a point where I'm thinking ... are we actually OK now?

There is no longer a name/id clash with a module in the official repo (Nate highlighted that he believe mods did not see that I'd already changed the name of the module before the second trashing of threads).

So in theory - are we not Ok now?

Note: Please keep this thread clean - any rants or discussion about deleting modules - keep them to the other threads.

Thanks
Rob

edit by Nate: See here for discussion about forum rules more generally related to this topic: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293371
I don't know any of technicalities when it comes to Repo's and Add-on's hence I've stayed out of this until now, but here are some facts I can see from the mirror statistics.

Mutagen download stats for 2016 are at http://mirrors.kodi.tv/stats?downloadsta...le.mutagen-

Audiobook Add-on download stats for 2016 are at http://mirrors.kodi.tv/stats?downloadsta...audiobooks-

My conclusion from these stats is that there is a vast number of users with Mutagen installed as a dependency that does not come from the Audiobook Add-on, unfortunately we can't tell exactly what is using the Mutagen module although Razzee has found the Pandoki- Pandora Add-on, and we believe there are other legitimate Add-on's supported on the forum but not in the Official Repo using Mutagen.

So my take on this is that any solution should do nothing to break these Add-on's and users installs, unless someone can come up with a very good reason.
Any GPL or other FOSS license issues in your addons need to be fixed.
(2016-10-09, 09:45)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]Any GPL or other FOSS license issues in your addons need to be fixed.

Done already I believe - please can you move that discussion to the other thread - lets keep that discussion in one place.
(2016-10-09, 09:35)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]So my take on this is that any solution should do nothing to break these Add-on's and users installs, unless someone can come up with a very good reason.

Hi jjd-uk,

The robwebset repo does not have a duplicate of the mutagen module in it (there is no clash of module name/id) - so the things you link to will not change Big Grin

Didn't know if you missed that previously - it's one of the main things that derailed the other thread - which is why I created this one.

Hopefully people will agree that there is no issue with the robwebset repo being re-enabled Big Grin

Thanks
Rob
(2016-10-09, 10:00)robwebset Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-09, 09:45)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]Any GPL or other FOSS license issues in your addons need to be fixed.

Done already I believe - please can you move that discussion to the other thread - lets keep that discussion in one place.

You believe wrongly. I.e. you ship soundcloud in tvtunes, without the original license.
I can probably find more if I really start looking.

And this is 100% on topic, you can surely see how not following FOSS licenses is an issue for your repo.
(2016-10-09, 12:47)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-09, 10:00)robwebset Wrote: [ -> ]

You believe wrongly. I.e. you ship soundcloud in tvtunes, without the original license.
I can probably find more if I really start looking.

Missed that one - updated license. (That had been in the official repo for years Big Grin )

(2016-10-09, 12:47)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]And this is 100% on topic, you can surely see how not following FOSS licenses is an issue for your repo.

Didn't say it was off topic - I asked for it to be kept with the other license discussions.

Rob
Is there any news on whether Repository:robwebset (wiki) is to be reinstated on the wiki and if it is to be allowed on the forum again?
They say that no news is good news, but in this case it appears doubtful!
Hi rob, you have no idea how tired of this whole thing I am. Acting as a go-between for addons I've never used is super dull.

With that said, I'm told two issues remain. First, the licenses have to be switched back to whatever they were before the fork. Just switching to gpl won't work. Second, I'm getting pretty mixed reports on exactly how early a version of Kodi your addons can be installed on. You said they were limited to after the bug fix. While the team says that limitation isn't in place. If you believe it is in place, please explain how and let me see if there is a misunderstanding.
We talked all about VideoScreensaver on Kord Kutters ;)

For anything that rob rewrote from the ground up, just switching to GPL should be enough. The bigger issue is for any lingering media such as images, text descriptions, etc. Those probably do need to be addressed.

As for early versions of Kodi, why is that a factor? Team Kodi itself does not officially support anything other than the current stable release. Support for older add-ons and such has always been seen as a bonus, but still an area where users were "on their own" if an old bug caused an issue, add-on related or otherwise. Considering that this is also for an optional 3rd party repo, where a certain level of instability is normally allowed, that reason still sounds like "reaching".

He's being held to a higher standard because certain people felt like they were wronged, and now they want to punish him. That's the problem that needs to be fixed.

The only people who lose out if his add-ons can't be discussed here is the community. No one is doing rob a favor for "allowing" him back. Keeping him out just helps to fragment a great community (talking about the core community, not all the fly-by-night users, etc). You need to ask yourself if that is worth dealing with.
(2016-10-18, 10:41)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]You need to ask yourself if that is worth dealing with.

Let me be clear, the current options are stone wall of silence, or dealing with my barely-caring self. These are the two issues I have been told about. I don't care about punishing anybody or motives or any of that nonsense. I just know that at present, the two problems I outlined are the two problems the team cares about.

Ned, I'm giving you leeway here, because you're a buddy of mine, but I very much plan on forcing this thread to be entirely professional and free of anger and other emotions, and pretty much my only tool for that is banning. If you post anything else where you are making effectively wild guesses about peoples' motives, I'm going to have to ban you for a few days.
(2016-10-18, 10:10)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]Hi rob, you have no idea how tired of this whole thing I am. Acting as a go-between for addons I've never used is super dull.

With that said, I'm told two issues remain. First, the licenses have to be switched back to whatever they were before the fork. Just switching to gpl won't work. Second, I'm getting pretty mixed reports on exactly how early a version of Kodi your addons can be installed on. You said they were limited to after the bug fix. While the team says that limitation isn't in place. If you believe it is in place, please explain how and let me see if there is a misunderstanding.

Hi Nate,

Have to agree with you, this is very dull!! - I'm only persisting because I've had lots of requests to do so after I said I was giving all this up. (and there is a part of me that is interested in the stance that is being taken)

For the licensing, as I've said before - I believe this is all correct - in the official repo, they were all GPL - and they are now GPL with attention also given to any dependency used. - So that I believe is complete. (If they were good enough for the official repo ... they should be good enough now)

For the versions, I'm not sure I understand - the version that each addon will run on are EXACTLY the same as when they were in the official repo, so I struggle to see how this can be an issue. (and as Ned pointed out - do the Kodi team check every 3rd party addon and repo posted on the forum to ensure it runs on a given set of Kodi versions?) - so I don't believe there is anything to do their either.

So I believe we age good to go?

Thanks

Rob
I'm told this is not correct re repo licensing. I'm not the world's foremost expert on github, but couldn't you just do a diff (or whatever it's called) and simply see where the license varies? If you can show a diff that shows no difference between the original repo license of each addon and the licenses in your repo, I think that should probably do the job.

To be clear about the second point, I was referring to our mutagen discussion and specifically the bug that means that prior to Kodi ... 14 (I think?) changing the addon ID doesn't work and can still cause mutagen-related problems. So the requirement is that you ensure your updated version of mutagen can't be installed on versions of Kodi from before the bug was fixed.

Edited for clarity.
(2016-10-18, 11:33)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]I'm told this is not correct re repo licensing. I'm not the world's foremost expert on github, but couldn't you just do a diff (or whatever it's called) and simply see where the license varies? If you can show a diff that shows no difference between the original repo license of each addon and the licenses in your repo, I think that should probably do the job.

OK, so I can't see an issue with the actual addons - it can easily be compared the the last version in the official repo - the only change is GPL was updated from v2 to v3 - but I believe that is OK. Maybe the person that has found an issue would like to post the details directly?

(2016-10-18, 11:33)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]To be clear about the second point, I was referring to our mutagen discussion and specifically the bug that means that prior to Kodi ... 14 (I think?) changing the addon ID doesn't work and can still cause mutagen-related problems. So the requirement is that you ensure your updated version of mutagen can't be installed on versions of Kodi from before the bug was fixed.

Edited for clarity.

My understanding from the discussion and testing completed that Gotham onwards was OK? So it can not be Frodo or earlier ... In which case the addons are restricted to Gotham as the lowest level.

Thanks

Rob
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12