Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I really like Kodi, But...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I like Kodi, I really do. I just hate the fact that there are only two categories for things to fall into. Ignoring Music Videos, everything is either Movie or TV. That is it, just those two categories.

My library is nicely divided into Movies in this partition, Anime and Anime Movies on this drive over here, Documentaries on a different drive, Etc. And so on with my TV stuff.

Kodi needs, in its fundamentals, a second layer above the primary Movie/TV base layer that has customizable categories to separate things into logical categories.

Imagine going into a public library and they didn't use the Dewey Decimal system. Every book was there but only alphabetized by title and no card catalog. No Fiction section or Non Fiction or History or Cooking... Just everything all together. Now imagine trying to find a good SciFi book to read.

Some of you will say "use Playlists", and I do. I even have my movies and my anime movies and Documentaries and such in separate tabs on my Confluence home page. Newly Added won't work with anything but Movies or TV because it only works with the base layer so any new anime movies show up when the Movies tab is centered and none show when the Anime Movie is there. Then there is the breaking of every change I make to the skin to get the added categories on the home page every time the skin updates. Grrr.

I have tried some other Skins but I keep coming back to Confluence for it's clean and simple interface.

Just my opinion about an otherwise wonderful product.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_nodes

Have you checked out the confluence mods that allow for better customization of the home screen? I mean, the video nodes and smart playlists are the way to go. Really, don't even need video nodes, but I like to REALLY customize the crap out of my setup. I honestly don't understand why stick with confluence? You can make the much more customizable skins to a basic look. I feel your pain on finding a perfect look with features, but confluence is way too basic.
I guess you could say the two modes, are really a categorization for the scrapers. You want your stuff handled like TV episodes or single movies? Within that you could specify no end of genre, categories, anime etc.sources and use favourites or smart playists to pull out the categories. If your collection is going to be large, you might want to consider a separate source for each 300 titles or less, (faster reads for the o/s) and in that suggestion, you'll find your documentaries in one folder, while animations/cartoon in another etc. All these sources will be available in file mode for handling, splitting, moving etc. Sets, Tags, Favourites and Nodes are great tools for slicing and dicing your library.

A few out-of-the-box links

http://lifehacker.com/5536963/the-ultima...dia-center
http://lifehacker.com/5900626/create-a-k...lete-guide