Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: opening Kodi on my mac mini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello: I have just upgraded the sd mem in my mac mini and have been trying to download the latest version of Kodi (Jarvis). It downloads successfully and when I try to open the app on my mac it gives me the error that downloaded information is corrupted and cannot be opened and should be moved to trash. I have done this a number of time but get the same results. I would appreciate any advise on this issue. A further note the file was downloaded from mirror.umd.edu
Try mirrors.kodi.tv instead ... No clue what that other url is but its not official.
It's one of our mirrors were you get send to when downloading. Maybe this is one of the broken locations?
I'll check that file out
Nah - works fine for me - i think there must be something else causing those messages...
Can you try to right click kodi.app and select "open" from the context menu? Does this solve the issue? Its definitly not a corrupted file - its more likely a signing / security / certificate issue.

Or in Terminal.app enter

Code:
xattr -rc /Applications/Kodi.app

Or in Terminal.app enter

Code:
spctl --add --label "Kodi" /Applications/Kodi.app

Please report back if any of this solves it for you.
Thanks for all the input folks. I will try the various fixes suggested and let you know the results.
Hi, I found an old Mac Mini A1176 (1.5 core solo), max OS is 10.6.8, and it runs on a 32 bit architecture. The latest version of Kodi requires 10.7, and 64 bit. Is there an older build that will run on this dinosaur, or is the old mini just a paper weight. I'm just trying to hook it up to my home theater strictly to watch Kodi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Memphiz:

I opened terminal.app in utilities and attempted to enter these two addresses

xattr -rc /Applications/Kodi.app and

spctl --add --label "Kodi" /Applications/Kodi.app

I was able to enter the information on the terminal.app screen and after entering the information i pressed enter but did not get any response or action. Must be me as have never used this particular screen previously any help will be appreciated.

I did attempt to open Kodi in Finder Applications by right clicking the icon but got the same error message as previously i.e."the kodi.app is damaged and shud be moved to trash" this particular download orginated from ftp.halifax-rwth-aachen.de
The first command should not return anything - the second should have popped up a message box asking for your password ... I don't get it...
Hello again Memphiz:

I have opened the "new command" box in terminal.app icon in the dock. I input the first command prompt headed by xattr and the application did not recognize xattr. I next input the command line headed by "spctl" and the system would not recognize --label. the text response was "spctl: unrecognized option '--label'

I want u to know that I have previously successfully downloaded Kodi Jarvis and it was running ok. I decided to add more mem to the mini and since then things have gone south. The device is operating satisfactorily in that I can use Chrome or Safari as the browser and all other apps are operating correctly. I don't mean to be a bother and do appreciate your help
What osx version do you run?
@Nstip - this is the latest version that you might be able to run on your old macmini

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/osx/i386...x-i386.dmg

Beside that - next time open a new thread for your question and don't highjack one...
Hello Memphiz:

I am running OS Sierra version 10.12 which I believe it is the latest update. What I have found, after some searching, is that this version of OS Sierra does not allow any apps to be downloaded to the mac unless it is from the Apple Store or an approved site. In security>general> there was an option which would allow downloads from "anywhere". That has been removed in the latest update. Searching on the web I have found a work around that is supposed to work. It involves inputing the following command in the terminal app new command box sudo spctl --master-disable. I have done that and it asks for my admin pwd. when that screen comes and I try to input my pwd it does not allow me to do that. what is showing on the prompt page for the pwd is a key symbol and it will not accept any input from the keyboard and therefore will not complete the command. Once again thanks for the help to date
Thats normal - it won't show that you type anything. Simply type your password and hit enter.

But my second command has to work - it achieves the same but without allowing all apps to run but only kodi - which would be a way more secure approach...
Pages: 1 2