Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Master / Slave KODI Setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a predetermined way of setting up a Master Mediacenter KODI setup? I have one full-blown mediacenter PC with ir remote and external drives in the living with teras of storage. Is there a way to keep the Android TV's in the bedrooms synced up with the Master unit? or do you have to setup SMBd and make shares then add the samba shares to the AndroidTVs?

It sounds kinda makeshift that way. I would think there would be a Slave setup that would just update the movie DB from the master unit when it boots up, obviously changing the location URL to stream from the master, and away you go. It would also sync profiles so that the kids could use their profile to see all the Disney stuff without running into the PG-13 stuff on any unit.
You can use MySQL (wiki) to set up a shared database that all clients can connect to. Then you can use Smart_Playlists (wiki) to separate out the content on each of the clients.

EG, I use SMB to share all my kids media (films and tv) and NFS to share all my stuff. Then I set up smart playlists with a rule for the kids 'Path contains smb://'.

I don't use profiles so can't give you any advice about them.
Could use Plex, or Trakt sort of does that.
+1 for MySQL and playlists. Have done this in several versions of kodi/xbmc and it works well. I particularly like how the watched/resume data is federated.
Emby works well for Kodi, I currently use that to manage my database.