Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: who is this guy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
who is this guy?
and he registered KODI trade mark in canada...
is it a legal one?

GEOFF GAVORA
3642 DOUGLAS WOODS HEIGHTS CALGARY, ALBERTA T2Z 2G4, CA

i can not paste the photo
We have been in discussion with him for about a month. Can't really answer a ton of super legal questions until after the discussion is finished.
Does this mean Geoff is able to sell fully loaded boxes in Canada without violating your trademark policy - since you don't own the Kodi trademark in Canada
(2016-12-01, 12:49)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]We have been in discussion with him for about a month. Can't really answer a ton of super legal questions until after the discussion is finished.

(2016-12-01, 19:56)Big Aero Wrote: [ -> ]Does this mean Geoff is able to sell fully loaded boxes in Canada without violating your trademark policy - since you don't own the Kodi trademark in Canada

Did you read the above quoted message from Nate?
Yes I did thanks. I only asked because the majority of Kodi Team seem to think they know a hell of alot about the "Kodi trademark policy" and what not. Clearly not.
(2016-12-01, 20:08)Big Aero Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I did thanks. I only asked because the majority of Kodi Team seem to think they know a hell of alot about the "Kodi trademark policy" and what not. Clearly not.

I guessed you skimmed over the part about "not being able to answer any super legal questions until the discussions are over" then. That's the important bit. Smile
I'm sure I asked about this topic a while back and Nate actually said it wouldn't matter if someone registered Kodi as a trademark in other countries, as XBMC foundation would still have ownership in other countries (something along those lines).

Now, being in discussion with this fella Geoff for a month, and not being able to answer "super legal" questions leads me to believe XBMC foundation are having a hard time essentially claiming their trademark in other jurisdictions, or should I say protecting it.

If this is the case.......... I don't even need to say more........
The last few times we didn't have a hard time at all.
I don't expect this time is any different, but anything with lawyers takes time.
(I don't know or care about the details of this specific case, and I haven't asked - I'm stating this as myself not as the team)
Then don't.
@Kib, are you actually telling me you can essentially take the "kodi trademark" directly from Geoff? Even if Geoff is the official owner of this trademark in Canada, and you are not? Who knows, Geoff might have plans to sell boxes with his own application called Kodi which isn't actually Kodi as we know it. If I was Geoff and this happened I would be mega pissed off....
I'm not talking about just Kodi btw. If I was the rightful owner of some random trademark in some country, and someone came to me saying we own this trademark in another country we want you to stop doing what you are doing, I would tell them to F-off.
Here is a snippet from uspto.gov

"How do I Register my Patent, Trademark, or Copyright Overseas?

Patents and trademarks are territorial and must be filed in each country where protection is sought. A U.S. patent or trademark does not afford protection in another country."

So something tells me you are telling fibs @Kib.

XBMC foundation only own the Kodi trademark in the U.S. Therefor you have no control over the word Kodi in Canada - Geoff does though.
You should research trademarks more and/or consult a trademark lawyer before you start telling people online they are lying.
Since you have demonstrated to not know anything about trademarks, and I'm absolutely not interested in explaining it, I'm going to shut up and wait until the outcome is clear.

Then you can ask Geoff whether or not he filed it in bad faith or not, and whether or not our trademark(s) were extended to cover more than the US.
as I said above, for all you know Geoff could have registered the trademark because he has plans to make a application called Kodi / or is in the process of making said. You taking his brand away from him in Canada is not right.

How do you plan on extending your trademark to a country where the trademark is already owned by someone else lol..... unless of course your trying to buy Geoff out, which would explain the month discussion you have had with him.
(2016-12-01, 20:30)Big Aero Wrote: [ -> ]@Kib, are you actually telling me you can essentially take the "kodi trademark" directly from Geoff? Even if Geoff is the official owner of this trademark in Canada, and you are not? Who knows, Geoff might have plans to sell boxes with his own application called Kodi which isn't actually Kodi as we know it. If I was Geoff and this happened I would be mega pissed off....

If someone registers a trademark in "bad faith" (as in, one knows it's not their mark but pretends that it is) then they can lose their trademark registration/protection. One cannot own something that is not really theirs in the first place. I'd be willing to bet that Canada is better about this than most countries.

That being said, it's not practical (cost, time, etc) to go in and try to resolve these things in court as the first step. The first step is always to contact the other person and start a dialog.
Pages: 1 2