Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17 slow when seeking video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have tried all beta versions of Kodi 17.0 along with some nightly builds to get rid of the 1 to 2 seconds it takes Kodi to switch from one point of a video to another, to no avail.
I have a library of video files stored locally in my computer's hard drive. When a video is playing, if I try to move from 00:00:01 to 00:30:00, it takes Kodi about 1 to 2 seconds to start playing from there, something that should happen without a single delay. It shows "Buffering" while it's trying to play the video from the specified time. This wasn't the case with Kodi 16. Any ideas to eliminate this would be appreciated.

I've already tried adding the following to advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>        
<memorysize>31457280</memorysize>
<readfactor>4.0</readfactor>
</cache>

Thanks.

Log file here.
It looks like, each time you move video, from A to B, Audio is re syncing with Video,, so try and turn off, sync Audio with Video.
Or vice versa.
Anyway, to me it looks like the delay comes from Audio and Video syncing, from your log i can see it makes a small adjustment, each time.
Could be what is giving you a small pause, or i could be wrong.
Also a possibility
Thank You
(2016-12-02, 04:33)kimkl Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like, each time you move video, from A to B, Audio is re syncing with Video,, so try and turn off, sync Audio with Video.
Or vice versa.
Anyway, to me it looks like the delay comes from Audio and Video syncing, from your log i can see it makes a small adjustment, each time.
Could be what is giving you a small pause, or i could be wrong.
Also a possibility
Thank You

Thanks for the reply. I can't find the a/v-sync option in Kodi 17. Only one I see is Sync Playback to Display.
Anyone with an idea ?
(2016-12-02, 04:53)medwatt Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply. I can't find the a/v-sync option in Kodi 17. Only one I see is Sync Playback to Display.
That would be the toggle, but if you have buffering specified,*(No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)} then the buffer takes a bit of time to fill *CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer and from what I can see you are decoding HEVC.x265.mkv files.

I had no issues flipping aournd with x264 enocdes, but there was a slight delay with x265 and I did see the buffering symbol if I jumped spot to sport without resolve. I think we're all getting into hardware limits, so tweaking is needed.

*Blue notes are taken from your paste-bin.
(2016-12-02, 20:19)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-02, 04:53)medwatt Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply. I can't find the a/v-sync option in Kodi 17. Only one I see is Sync Playback to Display.
That would be the toggle, but if you have buffering specified,*(No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)} then the buffer takes a bit of time to fill *CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer and from what I can see you are decoding HEVC.x265.mkv files.

I had no issues flipping aournd with x264 enocdes, but there was a slight delay with x265 and I did see the buffering symbol if I jumped spot to sport without resolve. I think we're all getting into hardware limits, so tweaking is needed.

*Blue notes are taken from your paste-bin.

Thanks for taking time to help. I also observe a similar issue with x264. It just so happens that when I was taking a log, I loaded a x265 video. I have a skylake CPU which is capable of hardware decoding 8-bit x265, and I play similar files on MPC-HC and Potplayer without any issues. So, what do you mean by "we're all getting into hardware limits ?"
Well, it looks like I will have to uninstall for now and wait until version 17 becomes stable.
I have been having the same issue and a reinstall didn't help me at all. Tried all the fixes mentioned and none have seemed to fix this issue.
(2016-12-04, 19:43)My50ho Wrote: [ -> ]I have been having the same issue and a reinstall didn't help me at all. Tried all the fixes mentioned and none have seemed to fix this issue.

I didn't have this issue with v16; only v17.
@medwatt Note: your advancedsettings.xml file is not loading. advancedsettings.xml (wiki)
I had this problem, worked around it by disabling DXVA2 renderer
Seems that the new videoplayer still has some quirks, mainly with hw decoding.
Turning off hw acceleration might work around it if your cpus can handle it.
I made a thread last month with the same issue. I have never had buffering when using Kodi 16. This only appeared with 17. I've tried all the betas. I've tried using an advanced settings file but nothing has worked. It's annoying but hopefully this gets resolved. I'll try disabling hardware decoding and or check into the syncing options.
I can confirm that this issue is not there if I disable DXVA2 in the player settings. Hopefully this can be fixed in the final version. This only happens to Kodi 17. Both Kodi 16 and MPC-HC work fine when seeking through a video.
Came back to follow up and indeed disabling DXVA 2 remedies this issue. As the poster above said hopefully this gets patched in the final release. In case it helps fixing this issue my processor is an Intel G2020 with integrated Intel graphics.
Pages: 1 2